Going to Europe!

Old February 8th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Default Going to Europe!

Hi Guys,
OK -- it's just about official -- I get to go to The Netherlands and
somewhere 3 hours north of Prague with DH next month. Once he gets me
the names of the towns we will be staying in I'll post and ask if anyone
knows anything about those areas and can recommend any stitchy sort of
things to see, do, buy, etc. I'll have days to myself so I can always
just look in the local phone book for needlework stuff, once I learn
what the word to use is :-). Put your thinkin' caps on and see if any
of you can remember some sort of ethnic stitching I should be looking
for. Thanks & CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old February 8th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Tia Mary wrote:
Hi Guys,
OK -- it's just about official -- I get to go to The Netherlands and
somewhere 3 hours north of Prague with DH next month. Once he gets me
the names of the towns we will be staying in I'll post and ask if anyone
knows anything about those areas and can recommend any stitchy sort of
things to see, do, buy, etc. I'll have days to myself so I can always
just look in the local phone book for needlework stuff, once I learn
what the word to use is :-). Put your thinkin' caps on and see if any
of you can remember some sort of ethnic stitching I should be looking
for. Thanks & CiaoMeow ^;;^

Oh, good for you! Do, do, do make time to spend in Prague if you have
never been there. It's a truly wonderful city. And depending where you
are in the Netherlands, it may be worth dropping down to Belgium to
catch some lace-making.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old February 8th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
LizardGumbo

Dr. Brat wrote:

And depending where you
are in the Netherlands, it may be worth dropping down to Belgium to
catch some lace-making.

The thing that is amazing to me about Europe is that it's so SMALL.
There were lots of bobbin lace makers in Brugge (Belgium), and that's
only 112 miles from Rotterdam.

IIRC, the driving wasn't that bad, either. Might want to rent a car and
go splorin' if you're going to have that much time on your hands.

--
Lizard Gumbo
aka Elizabeth

http://www.effervescentdesigns.com

Pop the bubbles to reply.
Old February 8th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
LizardGumbo

Piggybacking myself to say that you must must must go to Apeldoorn.
When I was there, it was what I would consider to be the perfect fairy
tale setting.

Old February 8th 07, 10:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Becky A

Tia Mary wrote:
Hi Guys,
OK -- it's just about official -- I get to go to The Netherlands and
somewhere 3 hours north of Prague with DH next month. Once he gets me
the names of the towns we will be staying in I'll post and ask if anyone
knows anything about those areas and can recommend any stitchy sort of
things to see, do, buy, etc. I'll have days to myself so I can always
just look in the local phone book for needlework stuff, once I learn
what the word to use is :-). Put your thinkin' caps on and see if any
of you can remember some sort of ethnic stitching I should be looking
for. Thanks & CiaoMeow ^;;^

Be prepared to be shocked at how much people pay for stitching supplies
over here. And if you're looking for 'local' patterns, don't buy
anything by Permin.

Enjoy your trip, Tia Mary.
Becky A.
Old February 8th 07, 11:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

Tia Mary ) writes:
Hi Guys,
OK -- it's just about official -- I get to go to The Netherlands and
somewhere 3 hours north of Prague with DH next month. Once he gets me
the names of the towns we will be staying in I'll post and ask if anyone
knows anything about those areas and can recommend any stitchy sort of
things to see, do, buy, etc. I'll have days to myself so I can always
just look in the local phone book for needlework stuff, once I learn
what the word to use is :-). Put your thinkin' caps on and see if any
of you can remember some sort of ethnic stitching I should be looking
for. Thanks & CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Jill and I spent 3 years in Den Haag. I know it is not everyone's
taste, but the flower auctions near Schirpol airport, and other places
were just incredible. But early in the morning. HTH.

Old February 8th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 2/7/07 9:30 PM, "Tia Mary" wrote:

Hi Guys,
OK -- it's just about official -- I get to go to The Netherlands and
somewhere 3 hours north of Prague with DH next month. Once he gets me
the names of the towns we will be staying in I'll post and ask if anyone
knows anything about those areas and can recommend any stitchy sort of
things to see, do, buy, etc. I'll have days to myself so I can always
just look in the local phone book for needlework stuff, once I learn
what the word to use is :-). Put your thinkin' caps on and see if any
of you can remember some sort of ethnic stitching I should be looking
for. Thanks & CiaoMeow ^;;^

Very nice. People in the Netherlands are amazingly nice. But, the Dutch
food is really bad. Really - they boil a lot of things. However - go to
Indonesian restaurants - those are really good.

Hmmm - lots of museums all over - that's what I'd do with spare time. I saw
a bunch of knitting in Amsterdam and environs. Don't remember much else -
it's been a while. But, Mirjam used to live there - she might have some
ideas for the Netherlands.

Let us know where near Prague - that'll be really interesting.

ellice

Old February 8th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna McIntosh

"Tia Mary" wrote in message
Hi Guys,
OK -- it's just about official -- I get to go to The Netherlands and
somewhere 3 hours north of Prague with DH next month. Once he gets me the
names of the towns we will be staying in I'll post and ask if anyone knows
anything about those areas and can recommend any stitchy sort of things to
see, do, buy, etc. I'll have days to myself so I can always just look in
the local phone book for needlework stuff, once I learn what the word to
use is :-). Put your thinkin' caps on and see if any of you can remember
some sort of ethnic stitching I should be looking for. Thanks & CiaoMeow
^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Lucky you!! I was stationed in London and Naples , but don't know anything
about the
Netherlands or Prague (except from the Travel Channel)...

Donna in S. Indiana

Old February 8th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

lucretia borgia wrote:

Don't miss the prostitutes in their windows in Amsterdam.

When we were there in 2002, we took a canal ride one evening and got to
see them -- AND all their parts -- in all their radiant glory. CiaoMeow
^;;^

Old February 8th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Tia Mary wrote:
Hi Guys,
OK -- it's just about official -- I get to go to The Netherlands and
somewhere 3 hours north of Prague with DH next month.

I'm jealous, too!

Ellice commented on the food, but anyplace that puts out chocolate
sprinkles on the b'fast table can't be criticized for food! If you can
live on chocolate, cheese, and ice cream, you've got it made!!

We were there in April and May 1985, and it was much colder and wetter
than I'd anticipated. (I think that was an unusually cold/wet spring;
everyone kept apologizing to us for the weather!) So be ready for
anything, weather-wise. Think layers!

And remember to buy souvenirs for the little ones: All-cotton PJs
(technically "illegal" in the US, though they can be found if you know
where to look) and shoes. Their kids shoes are SO much nicer than those
typically found here.

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music

Squish Europe Betsy Ross Quilting 25 November 19th 05 06:52 PM
Fabric in Europe Question [email protected] Needlework 7 March 6th 05 03:58 PM
yarn stores in Europe?? Planet Internet Nieuws Yarn 0 September 2nd 03 01:56 PM