OT The Ultimate UN-nerd needs puter help, again

Old November 8th 05, 10:26 AM
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default OT The Ultimate UN-nerd needs puter help, again

I've had this #$@&% computer for about 18 mo. with no real troubles.
Yesterday I "received" 6 emails with heavy downloads- those long, silly
ones with animated pictures and big colored letters. Each one came in
FIVE times and one even made TEN visits to my inbox. I spent most of
yesterday afternoon waiting for them to download. The Hunky Mr.
Collins said maybe I had a virus, so I ran a scan- clean. Then I ran a
parasite scan. Clean again. Any ideas on what's wrong here?

TIA

Leslie (frustrated to the max!) & The Furbabies in MO.

Old November 8th 05, 10:58 AM
Roberta Zollner

Here's a reply from another non-nerd. Your server surely has a website; mine
does. I log on there before going to Outlook (where I actually read the
email). There's a folder with my name on it, and all the incoming mail is
separated into 4 piles: virus-infected, which gets automatically dumped
without ever going through my system; suspected spam, based on the server's
definitions plus any addresses I want to add to their spam list; unknown
senders, and finally my server inbox. To reach my inbox, an address must be
first OK'd by me and entered on the "OK adresses" list. Everything else goes
into the "unknown" pile. It takes me about 2 minutes to sort through and put
a tick mark next to the emails I want. Everything else gets deleted. Then I
open Outlook and read it.
Also, if I travel, I can use my password to access my email from any
computer and read it off the server's site.
So contact your server and see what they can do for you!
Roberta in D

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." schrieb im
Newsbeitrag oups.com...

Old November 8th 05, 12:15 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Yes. Get yourself a Yahoo mailbox (or some other website that provides the
service) and have your friends send all that stuff there. Works for me.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

oups.com...

Old November 8th 05, 12:34 PM
Polly Esther

Leslie, I suffered with that problem back during the first of the Katrina
problems and it was one I just couldn't resolve alone. My Florida sister's
computer relentlessly sent me pictures of our county's beachfront (as if I
needed that). It took some 20 minutes for each one to come in and somehow
(?), at last count, there were 57 copies banked up and wanting to land on my
computer. Meanwhile, nothing else could come in or go out.

Finally, my neighbor blocked out the entire state of Florida from my email.
Or maybe it was just anybody from Verizon where sister's mail originates.
One of her sons had sent her the pictures. Another son told her she'd
overloaded his computer too with a "flawed" (yes, right) email. Finally,
her daughter went and unplugged sister's computer. Polly

Old November 8th 05, 04:13 PM
Sherry Starr

It also might not be your computer at all. It could be the computer from
the person sending you the emails. This has happened to me before. A
friend of mine sent me about 6 copies of everything she was sending me. She
is one of these people that might not get on the computer for 2 weeks, then
you will get 15 emails from her. I called her, and asked her what was going
on. She said she had received lots of phone calls from other people getting
all these duplicate (to put it mildly) emails from her. It was something
wrong with her computer. She had it fixed, and not everything is fine. She
did check with her ISP, and they walked her through a lot of things and that
was when it was determined that it was her computer, and not them.

Sherry Starr

Old November 8th 05, 04:19 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
I've had this #$@&% computer for about 18 mo. with no real troubles.
Yesterday I "received" 6 emails with heavy downloads- those long, silly
ones with animated pictures and big colored letters. Each one came in
FIVE times and one even made TEN visits to my inbox. I spent most of
yesterday afternoon waiting for them to download. The Hunky Mr.
Collins said maybe I had a virus, so I ran a scan- clean. Then I ran a
parasite scan. Clean again. Any ideas on what's wrong here?

TIA

Leslie (frustrated to the max!) & The Furbabies in MO.

I once (inadvertently) sent a huge email to a friend (she asked for the
pictures, I scanned them and didn't check the size - oops!).

Her ISP had problems with the size of the email, so couldn't detect the
end of the message. Thus it sent it to her again, and again, and
again... This was on a Friday. By the time my friend emailed me back to
say please stop, I was on the train to meet up with her away from
computers! So come Monday morning, I could finally get the systems guys
here at my workplace to cancel the email.

Note that the fault was not with her computer nor with mine. The fault
technically was with her provider's software, but it only went wrong
because I did something stupid.

So I don't think it is your computer either.

Don't know what a fix might be (except to use the web-interface to get
rid of the most obvious spam as someone else suggested already), sorry!

Hanne in London
Old November 8th 05, 04:56 PM
Donna in Idaho

I use MailWasher. Every email that I get goes through MailWasher before I
ever let it into my Outlook inbox. If it's something I don't want, or
something I can just read and delete, I get rid of it in MailWasher. Keeps
out a lot of junk. Someone here on rctq told us about MailWasher a few
years ago & I've been very happy with it.

My ISP also filters out spam, although it occasionally puts something in the
Spam folder that isn't spam. But, if I mark it as not spam it won't do that
again with that particular sender.
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

Old November 8th 05, 05:30 PM
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Thanks for all the help. Today I seem to be getting just one of every
email, so maybe things are okay. I'm going to blame my ISP and leave
my 'puter as is for now....

Thanks again!!!

Leslie (calmer now- teehee!) & The Furbabies in MO.

Old November 8th 05, 07:23 PM
nzlstar*

http://www.mailwasher.co.nz/
theres the link.
hes a kiwi, doncha know (see
Mailwasher has a free download that wont ever expire.
tho my isp now checks all emails for virus and spam.
i trust nooooooothing (said like sgt schultz in hogans heroes).

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1
i also use AVG that virus scans.
no virus getting thru here so far.

AVG also has a free download and i get mine to check daily for the newest
updates on it.
i also have my puter do a full hard/drive virus scan each morning while i'm
surfing etc.
so far so good.
hth,
jeanne
NAYY
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Donna in Idaho" wrote ...

Old November 8th 05, 07:39 PM
Donna in Idaho

Yep, I knew MailWasher was a kiwi! Good program! Never had a minute's
troublem with it!

New word - troublem! I read it on another ng. Asked if it was a cross
between trouble & problem. The guy answered saying that is 4 year old
sister had used that word many years ago and it is now a family word!
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org