Quilt as you go

Old November 7th 05, 07:52 PM
~KK in BC~

Default Quilt as you go

Found It!!!

The book I bought (more like a magazine style than book) is called
"Weekend Log Cabin Quilts - for people who don't have time to quilt"
it is by Marti Michell and the ISBN is 0-88195-349-0

I adapted what I saw for what made it easiest for me to do.

This appears to be book 3, I have never seen books 1 or 2 but imagine they
may be something I want in my library :-p

HTH
~KK in BC~

--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
I haven't outgrown the need to play with blocks.

"~KK in BC~" wrote in message
I bought myself a small book that said something about log cabin quilt as
you go and thought that would be the way for me! I have issues with
wrestling a whole quilt through my machine (issues? heck I just hate doing
it) so I thought this would be ideal!

All one does is make the squares, cut your batting and backing to the same
size as your squares, quilt the mini sandwich, have a strip of fabric to
match or contrast your backing fabric, fold it in half, take two mini
sandwiches and the strip, sew all three together, trim the seam
especially the batting out of the seam and hand stitch the flap over the
seam. Done. Next set.

I just got a magazine thank you again for the squishy that shows yet
another way of doing the quilt as you go method. I am trying this one
right now. It produces a reversible quilt with this one and less bulk at
the seams. I will let you know how that one works out if it doesn't turn
into a UFO.

I don't explain things really well but I am sure that I can unearth that
book and magazine somewhere around here. At the moment the focus is on
cleaning up all the damn broken glass in my yard and house sigh.

~KK in BC~

--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
I haven't outgrown the need to play with blocks.

Old November 7th 05, 09:40 PM
~KK in BC~

Better Homes and Gardens Quilt Sampler the Fall/Winter issue has the
directions for the quilt as you go that I was talking bout. It shows a quilt
called Midnight in Times Square that is a reversible quilt as you go method.

~KK in BC~

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Old November 8th 05, 06:41 AM

Hi

Reading the title of this thread I thought this is it, the ideal
solution to my upcoming problem.
I will be making a king size log cabin quilt for my bed in the near
future, but the thought of wrestling all that fabric plus batting plus
backing under the not so large space of my ordinary sewing machine, has
me putting things off.

Your solution seems like the ideal way to go.
I have a questiopn though, neophyte that I am: if you add the doubled
strip of backing fabric to the two blocks to be used to camouflage the
seams on the back, won't this strip show locks on the front/top of the
quilt?

Puzzled....

Claudia

Old November 8th 05, 06:52 AM

Is this the 2005 or 2004 issue?

Any websites that will ship internationally where I might be able to
buy this issue???

Thanks

Claudia

Old November 8th 05, 08:56 AM
Cheryl in Oz

I am really interested in seeing this method as I am "into" QAYG methods. I
can't get that mag way out here where I live. Would anyone be willing to
trade fabric for sending me a copy? I will happily cover the air mail cost
if it has to come from overseas.

If so, drop me an email and let me know what you want in return.

TIA
--

Cheryl
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

Old November 8th 05, 01:21 PM
Bonnie Patterson

I've seen this method demonstrated.

After quilting, the front "blocks" (right sides together) are sewn to
each other by machine, the strips of backing fabric (used to cover the
back seam) are sewn to one edge by machine and then hand stitched to
cover the back seam.

Our demonstrator told us that she had used this method for quilts done
1/3 and/or 1/2 at a time. I have Georgia Bonesteel on tape doing one
block at a time.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

Old November 8th 05, 03:19 PM
~KK in BC~

2005

--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
I haven't outgrown the need to play with blocks.

oups.com...

Old November 8th 05, 03:19 PM
Julia in MN

Another way to reduce the bulk when machine quilting a large quilt is to
cut away the batting from the outer parts of the quilt, leaving batting
only in the center section. If most of what you have to roll up around
the edges is quilt top and backing, it is a lot less bulky than having
all the batting in the sandwich. After you quilt the center section, add
the batting back to the outer parts and quilt those. That is how I did
the Trip Around the World and the Log Cabin that you see at
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/Quilts2005.html. You can determine
where to cut the batting away based on your quilting pattern. For the
TATW, I cut the batting away from the corners because my quilting was
going around the center. For the Log Cabin, I trimmed the batting away
from the sides, leaving a long strip down the center.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old November 8th 05, 08:00 PM
Sally Swindells

My sample quilt is a quilt as you go. Each 14" block went on a 20"
piece of batting backed by a thin what-we-would-call fine calico ie a
faily loosly woven natural cotton. The block was positioned 1" from
the top and left hand side. The block was then quilted.

When the frame was put round each block it took up this 1", and there
was therefore an uncovered piece of batting on two sides.

Then strips of sashing were put on the bottom uncovered piece of each
block, and the top and bottom of the blocks trimmed to the correct
size, plus 1/4 seam allowance. Then they were joined together in
strips (top of quilt to bottom.) Most people just machined each block
joining right sides together, but muggings here did this bit by hand.
These sashings were then quilted.

The vertical sashings and keystones were joined in strips, and sewn
down the left hand side of each set of blocks. The first two strips of
blocks/sashings were then machined together (fact to face), and then
quilted. Another block strip was added, more sashings, and more
quilting.

So finally you had a big quilted quilt with 2 'bare' sides (no
sashings). The sashings were attached to thes sides and then quilted.

The backing was spread out and the completed front laid on it. it was
then pin basted and the backing joined to the front with hand stitches
through all layers. So there wasn't actually any quilting on the back
of the quilt, bus the little marks where the holding stitches were.
However there were no joins in the backing fabric. The quilt was bound
in the normal manner

Sounds horribly complicated, but if you try it with a bit of paper you
can see that it works, it isn't complicated, and you have no bulk at
all.

Thats how I'm doing my BOMs, and one day I really will finish the
sampler (only have the last set of sashings to quilt, the back to put
on, and bindings.)

Hope someone finds this useful.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~