Image transfer to ring...help..

Old March 12th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
[email protected]

Default Image transfer to ring...help..

I am trying to find out how to make a ring like this sample..

http://www.creedcanada.com/40081-87.html

I have been looking at the idea of printing it on photopaper and
sealing it in with a clear resin.
Then I post on a another forum suggested transferring to clay.

Does anyone do this (at a fair price, please send me an email
privately) if I provided the image and rings. Or does anyone know who
to create and image in a band like this?

Thanks for any advice.

Greg

Old March 14th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Ann Eales

Have you tried Lazertran, it will work on clay?
Ann
UK

Old March 15th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Martha

I would also suggest something like Lazertran, or T-shirt transfers, but I
don't think polymer clay would make a very good ring. It's just not sturdy
enough.

Martha

Old March 15th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
PenguinTrax

I think he wants to insert the polymer clay into a channel of a
sterling ring, as in the example.

Old March 16th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
[email protected]

"Ann Eales" wrote in message

Have you tried Lazertran, it will work on clay?
Ann
UK

Correct, does any one have some opinions on how to insert and image
into a ring blank?

Greg

Old March 16th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
nanner

I agree but how strong would that be? i wouldn't manufacture them that way
(with inset PC). i have done epoxy over images in production and it worked,
there are epoxies that are supposed to be non-yellowing when they age. and
epoxy can be cleaned up up on the wheel (carefuly) after it's cured.

I would want to find something stronger than epoxy though

----------------------

One of a Kind Fantasy Sculptures & Art Dolls
www.enchantedwhimsies.com

oups.com...

Old March 16th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Martha

I realize he wants to insert into ring but I still think it would get
totally trashed from normal hand wear, not to mention hand washing, putting
on lotion, etc. Epoxy would be much stronger but Nanner has worked with
Epoxy and doesn't believe even that is strong enough.

I have learned a lot by experimenting and making mistakes, but I if I think
something won't work well from the beginning I hate to see somebody go to
all that trouble only to have it self destruct in a matter of weeks or
months. Just my two cents.

To Greg - if you try it please let us know how it works out after a suitable
period of wear.

Martha

Old March 16th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Dicon[_2_]

"Martha" nospam @ nospam.com wrote in message
I realize he wants to insert into ring but I still think it would get
totally trashed from normal hand wear, not to mention hand washing, putting
on lotion, etc. Epoxy would be much stronger but Nanner has worked with
Epoxy and doesn't believe even that is strong enough.

I have learned a lot by experimenting and making mistakes, but I if I
think something won't work well from the beginning I hate to see somebody
go to all that trouble only to have it self destruct in a matter of weeks
or months. Just my two cents.

To Greg - if you try it please let us know how it works out after a
suitable period of wear.

Martha

Just wondering, could you try bonding a piece of glass or cabochon crystal
over the image, as in ( from the base layer) ...
base poly-clay, then the image bonded into liquid sculpy, along with a
crystal / glass face over the whole thing.
Maybe worth a try.

--
Jackdaw, collector of facts, trivia and bright twinkly things
my addy is

Old April 5th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
twinkiesmom

On Mar 12, 3:27 pm, wrote:
I am trying to find out how to make a ring like this sample..

http://www.creedcanada.com/40081-87.html

I have been looking at the idea of printing it on photopaper and
sealing it in with a clear resin.
Then I post on a another forum suggested transferring to clay.

Does anyone do this (at a fair price, please send me an email
privately) if I provided the image and rings. Or does anyone know who
to create and image in a band like this?

Thanks for any advice.

Greg

Greg,
I took a class with Lisa Pavelka that taught the image transfers using
a Lazertran-like paper.

I would use Lisa's transfer paper (www.coveredinclay.com) print in
mirror image. Apply to a sheet of pearl polymer clay. Trim image to
fit channel in ring. Apply Poly Bonder (ovenproof epoxy) to reverse
side of clay. Bake clay and ring together. Add several coats of Poly-
Glaze for a cabochon finish.

I believe this would work well. I have been sculpting transfers around
copper centers and have not lost any pendants using this technique.

If you want to send me a ring to make a prototype, contact me
privately.

Mary