A Question Regarding Nondenominational Religious Windows

Old February 26th 05, 04:39 AM
kfg

Default A Question Regarding Nondenominational Religious Windows

I may be getting a contract soon to do a panel for a hospital chapel. It should not be specific to any particular religion. My question is: What sort of subject should I use? Has anyone out there done any projects like this?
Thanks,
KFGlover
Ars Vitrea
Old February 26th 05, 04:44 PM

Nature is good: clouds, birds, trees. If you want to avoid any
representational imagery (some religions may forbid it), you can use
organic and geometric forms.

Old February 26th 05, 09:46 PM
Mike Firth

sun, clouds, new day, branches, vines with leaves. Look at Islamic
(non-representational) art, perhaps at Spanish art decorations influenced by
them - Moorish.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old February 27th 05, 04:03 PM
Glassman

"kfg" wrote in message
I may be getting a contract soon to do a panel for a hospital chapel. It

should not be specific to any particular religion. My question is: What sort
of subject should I use? Has anyone out there done any projects like this?
Thanks,
KFGlover
Ars Vitrea

Jews and Christians both accept the first book. Geometrics shapes seem
to be the way to go these days. People seem to want to interpret them as
whatever they see. Where I see random pieces and colors of glass they see
"god" and his divine powers?

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old February 27th 05, 05:06 PM
Adrian Brentnall

Hi All

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:03:33 -0500, "Glassman"
wrote:

"kfg" wrote in message
.. .
I may be getting a contract soon to do a panel for a hospital chapel. It

should not be specific to any particular religion. My question is: What sort
of subject should I use? Has anyone out there done any projects like this?
Thanks,
KFGlover
Ars Vitrea

Jews and Christians both accept the first book. Geometrics shapes seem
to be the way to go these days. People seem to want to interpret them as
whatever they see. Where I see random pieces and colors of glass they see
"god" and his divine powers?

g - That's so very true.....
I go to a Spiritualist Church - and they wanted a bit of colour
introduced to a room in which we do healing. The room has
old-fashioned 'sash' windows - with a series of small panes - about
12" x 18" - so I designed a series of simple geometric panels to fit
inside the windows.

One of the panels is shown here
http://www.inspired-glass.co.uk/Cedars_window.htm

The interesting part is that everybody sees something different in the
(very simple) design - so far we've had 'a cross', 'a chalice', 'an
angel', 'a waterfall' and so on..... - I guess what people see depends
on what they're thinking at the time....?

Great fun!
Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Old March 6th 05, 02:47 PM
Steve Richardson

A lot of hospitals have Web sites with overviews of their facilities
including chapels. You could try looking at some of these (remembering of
course that they're probably all copyrighted).

http://www.rcrh.org/Services/Patient/images/chapel.jpg
http://www.kingsch.nhs.uk/patient/window.jpg
http://www.asgla.com/downunderquilt/downunderquilt.html
http://www.hillsboroareahospital.org/stainglassa.jpg
http://www.johnsonstudio.org/images/Wascana-s2.jpg
http://www.dazzleglazz.com/images/womans-small.jpg

This one's particularly interesting, combining symbols of multiple faiths:
http://www.lambstudios.com/images/window2.gif

- Steve Richardson
St Louis MO

question [email protected] Sewing 3 August 18th 04 11:30 PM
A question for lampworkers Diana Curtis Beads 42 May 7th 04 07:26 PM
Question about count Amberinauburn Needlework 22 April 21st 04 12:09 AM
Not really an AD, but a marketing question, need advice Kandice Seeber Beads 26 April 4th 04 10:39 AM
dress form question Marilyn Sewing 14 January 31st 04 06:07 PM