motifs in clothes-canes

Old November 2nd 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
[email protected]

Default motifs in clothes-canes

Hi all

I'm new in polymer clay, and I'm trying to do sculptures. I'd like to
dress my little people with polymer dresses. My problem is with the
motifs, I've tried to do square canes (with four flowers, for
instance) and then put them on top of a thin layer of polymer. My
problem is that I end up with different thicknesses of motifs and when
I pass the layer through the pasta machine they distort a lot. Also,
sometimes they break. What can I do?

Thanks

Old November 2nd 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
turtlelover

wrote:
Hi all

I'm new in polymer clay, and I'm trying to do sculptures. I'd like to
dress my little people with polymer dresses. My problem is with the
motifs, I've tried to do square canes (with four flowers, for
instance) and then put them on top of a thin layer of polymer. My
problem is that I end up with different thicknesses of motifs and when
I pass the layer through the pasta machine they distort a lot. Also,
sometimes they break. What can I do?

Thanks

I'd say that the first thing to do is make sure that the slices are the same thickness...and that they're pretty thin to begin with. I don't have a cane slicer (the machine; too expensive!), but it's easier to keep the slices straight if you have the cane directly beneath you, so you're looking down at the cane.

Have you rolled over the motif slices (once placed on top of the polymer sheet) with an acrylic roller? This will help to attach the slices to the sheet, as well as warm them up before rolling the sheet through the pasta machine. Be sure to roll in all directions to minimize distortion. Additionally, be sure that the sheet is at (or at least very close to) the desired ending thickness before you place motifs on top. You could even try to set the PM one setting thicker than the thickness of the sheet (after motifs are placed) to minimize distortion.

As for the breaking, it could be that the slices are too thick or too cold. I hope you're not using Sculpey III clay. It's the most brittle clay (once baked).

Have you checked out
www.polymerclaycentral.com ? Lots of nice and helpful people there!

Good luck,
Turtlelover
Old November 3rd 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

I would cut the canes as thin as possible, using a tissue blade. This
can take some practice. Then, I'd lay them on your carrier sheet/base
layer. Cover with a piece of deli wrap (also called patty paper or candy
film) then use your fingers or an acrylic rod to get the slices to
adhere to the sheet. Do not run through the machine, unless it is on a
setting just slightly thinner than your sheet - the canes will distort,
no matter what.

These links may be of help:

http://lindly.wordpress.com/tips/
http://lindly.wordpress.com/2007/10/18/slice-em-thin/
http://polymerclayexpress.com/storage.html (scroll down for deli wrap)

Barbara

Bead & Polymer Clay Habitué

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

http://www.penguintrax.com
http://www.backseatgrammarian.com
http://www.polymerclayworkshops.com

wrote:
Hi all

I'm new in polymer clay, and I'm trying to do sculptures. I'd like to
dress my little people with polymer dresses. My problem is with the
motifs, I've tried to do square canes (with four flowers, for
instance) and then put them on top of a thin layer of polymer. My
problem is that I end up with different thicknesses of motifs and when
I pass the layer through the pasta machine they distort a lot. Also,
sometimes they break. What can I do?

Thanks

fs&fa FOR QUILT PIECING, Doll Clothes Piecing, Children Clothes Piecing – FINEST IRON AVAILABLE AT ANY PRICE! singer_fw_iron_lover Marketplace 1 August 9th 04 11:10 PM
motifs my way Ann Quilting 6 April 16th 04 06:24 PM
Allegorical motifs Sorceress Needlework 2 January 26th 04 11:41 PM
iso christmas motifs Jill Needlework 3 November 17th 03 12:42 AM
Motifs or Quilting Patterns Diana Curtis Quilting 1 September 24th 03 05:37 AM