Ideas needed

Old June 6th 05, 01:14 AM
Susan Carey

Default Ideas needed

Last evening, I showed my soon to be D-Dil the pattern for the shawl in
Creative knitting, thinking she might like something like that to
accompany her wedding dress. She liked it fine, but she would like it
in the shape of a mantilla. I am getting no where with a google search.
I do not know what shape - triangle or rectangle, what length? I know
from my search that they are worn like an untied scarf, but can either
be like a shawl in length or like a short scarf. I need ideas, folks. I
need to know a good bunch of ideas for the choice of yarn - white or
off white for sure - and lace weight. Best places to buy. I know I will
probably end up getting it at my LYS, but if there are good suggestions
of things Barbara does not carry, I want to know where to find them. I
know I am asking a lot, but I trust all of you.

This is the same girl who three years ago asked me what I was doing as
I sat there knitting a baby afghan. After I told her that, she said,
"Why don't you just go out and buy one?" She has changed her tune since
then getting several nice things from me and even been seen wearing
them. I would love to do this for her. I would appreciate ANY and all
ideas. I will let her pick the exact pattern, but want to be able to
approach this with my end started.

Hugs to all in advance for shaking your brain cells to help.

Susan

Old June 6th 05, 02:51 AM
Wooly

Meg Swansen designed and published a pattern for a mantilla quite a
few years back. It has been reprinted in "A Gathering of Lace" edited
by Meg, and possibly in "Knitting with Meg Swansen".

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old June 6th 05, 04:48 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Susan Carey" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hi, Susan!
DO check Meg Swansen's "A Gathering of Lace", for a Mantilla Lace Shawl.
Laceweight yarn sources: Knitwits, Elann, Knitology.
HTH,
Noreen

Old June 6th 05, 08:18 AM
Richard Eney

In article .com,
Susan Carey wrote:
Last evening, I showed my soon to be D-Dil the pattern for the shawl in
Creative knitting, thinking she might like something like that to
accompany her wedding dress. She liked it fine, but she would like it
in the shape of a mantilla. I am getting no where with a google search.
I do not know what shape - triangle or rectangle, what length? I know
from my search that they are worn like an untied scarf, but can either
be like a shawl in length or like a short scarf.

At a wild guess, I'd say rectangular. Why not ask her for the
dimensions she wants?

I need to know a good bunch of ideas for the choice of yarn - white or
off white for sure - and lace weight.

I think you probably don't want to use anything that will shed, so
no alpaca, no angora, no mohair. Laceweight merino or maybe some silk
(silk-merino blend?) would be my best guess; linen if you and she like
linen. Probably not cotton or fine hemp, though either would probably
be more durable and both can be lovely.

=Tamar
Old June 6th 05, 05:47 PM
emerald

"Susan Carey" wrote in message
oups.com...
Last evening, I showed my soon to be D-Dil the pattern for the shawl in
Creative knitting, thinking she might like something like that to
accompany her wedding dress. She liked it fine, but she would like it
in the shape of a mantilla. I am getting no where with a google search.
I do not know what shape - triangle or rectangle, what length?

Is she planning on wearing it on her head, or as a shawl?

Traditionally Spanish mantillas are more-or-less triangular and you can wear
the
triangle either coming down over the high comb towards the front, with the
other points over the shoulders so the whole thing frames your face, or
coming down the back, like an untied scarf.
I would suggest that unless you can get really fine yarn, a slightly shorter
length might be better.

But your DDIL-to-be might have a completely different picture in her head,
so I'd agree with asking her opinion, and perhaps involving her in the
choice of yarn and style.

Eimear

Old June 6th 05, 07:34 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Richard Eney" wrote in message
In article .com,
Susan Carey wrote:
[...]

Tamar,
while I agree about the shedding you mentioned, I have to say, I've NEVER
EVER had alpaca shed on me....
JM2C,
Noreen

Old June 7th 05, 03:54 AM
Katherine

I am so glad that she now appreciates your art. I think that mantillas are
triangular. They are quite large, though. I would think that a lace shawl
pattern would work.

Katherine

Old June 7th 05, 09:58 AM
Susan Carey

I appreciate all the ideas so much. And as you said, will be asking her
what she wants exactly. However, I am making the pattern from the
magazine now. In Opera cotton, as the pattern was made. If she is not
happy with it, I will give it to my DD. She loves it already. The
pattern is not terribly hard, but it is time consuming. I can't wait to
see it further along.

Again...thanks for all the ideas. And I did order Meg Swansen's book,
just to have it here. I knew I could count on everyone for help. I will
post pictures when I get more done. It is very pretty. Now I am
worrying about blocking it as I have never worked with such small stuff
besides when I made doilies.

Susan

Old June 7th 05, 02:08 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Susan Carey wrote:
I appreciate all the ideas so much. And as you said, will be asking her
what she wants exactly. However, I am making the pattern from the
magazine now. In Opera cotton, as the pattern was made. If she is not
happy with it, I will give it to my DD. She loves it already. The
pattern is not terribly hard, but it is time consuming. I can't wait to
see it further along.

Again...thanks for all the ideas. And I did order Meg Swansen's book,
just to have it here. I knew I could count on everyone for help. I will
post pictures when I get more done. It is very pretty. Now I am
worrying about blocking it as I have never worked with such small stuff
besides when I made doilies.

Susan

Susan,
I'm sure I speak for ALL when I say You're entirely WELCOME!
I can't wait to see it!
Blocking ... there are many many sources right on the 'net giving really
good instructions for blocking laceweight shawls, so that being said, I
won't post how *I* do it, LOL!
Hugs,
Noreen
Old June 7th 05, 08:20 PM
MRH

This URL has pictures of beautiful mantillas, but no free patterns
unfortunately.
http://www.headcoverings.com/Coverin...2LaceVeils.htm

Maybe the pictures can give you ideas for how to make one of your own!?!

Gemini

A nice lacey doily or shawl (smaller) pattern, perhaps?