Looking for custom cut engagement ring, historical jewelry store, or experienced diamond ring designer in Ontario

Old April 28th 04, 08:48 AM
Jimmy

Default Looking for custom cut engagement ring, historical jewelry store, or experienced diamond ring designer in Ontario

Hi all, how are you doing?

I'm looking for a very special ring for engagement. Does anyone knows
where I can get a well-experienced designer to make a custom cut
diamond ring ... possibly from a well-known and/or a historical
jewlery store? Possibly in Ontario, Canada. If not, I need to know
where and I need to think about if I can afford to get there ... or
have them deliver to me by courier (only until I know I can trust
them). I do have budget though (i.e. around $8,000 in canadian
dollars; after tax if applied).

I know exactly what the ring should look like. Shapes should look
like Tiffany's "fancy shape ring" (see
http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/dia...ing=pearsides&)
.... but I can't afford that price. Clarity and carat are not
important at all, but the ring should look big enough which will look
well on her long finger. Also, no color (i.e. no green, no blue, no
red, etc.). Normal color is fine (i.e. white? clear?).

Can anyone please help me and give me some pointers?

Thank you so much in advance,
Jimmy
Old April 29th 04, 06:24 AM
Beth

"Jimmy" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure this fits all your criteria, however I do know of a reputable
diamond cutter in New York City.
www.romancingthestone.com - they cut most of the diamonds they sell, and
have the faceters on site.
I am sure they would be able to work with you to design something.

.....Beth

Old April 29th 04, 06:33 AM
Peter W. Rowe

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:48:15 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry
(Jimmy) wrote:

I'm looking for a very special ring for engagement. Does anyone knows
where I can get a well-experienced designer to make a custom cut
diamond ring

Normally, we refer to "custom cutting" as being something we do to stones,
which are cut from rough materials to the finished gems we use. In the case of
the jewelry mountings themselves, it's usually called custom MADE. Using that
terminology might be less confusing, though I understood what you wanted easily
enough.

To your actual question, you seem to want a pretty standard three stone
engagement ring, with a round center, and pear shaped diamonds on the sides.
While the one you show at Tiffanies is nice, they're hardly the only folks who
make such a traditional design. You could probably have almost any decent
goldsmith in your area make up the mounting, to fit stones he or she could
order for you. It might even be possible to order a mounting like that already
made up as a blank mounting, from one of several findings manufacturers, or if
not, one could take a fairly heavy weight solitaire style mounting, and add the
heads (the prong setting assemblies) to hold the side pear shapes.

I have no doubt that there are many readers of this newsgroup with the needed
skills to build such a ring for you. In the unlikely event you don't find
someone easily, contact me off list and I'll give you some links to follow to
folks with web sites who could easily fulfill your request.

By the way, as to stones, size really isn't everything. While you may not need
or want the finest grades in color, clarity, or cutting, DO pay attention to
them. Cutting and color grade in particular have a lot to do with how
attractive the stones are, and if clarity gets really low, then the stones can
quickly become really ugly, which will defeat your purpose.

Hope this is of use.

Peter Rowe