Cotton comforter or duvet?

Old May 13th 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

Default Cotton comforter or duvet?

If I sleep under a polyester comforter/duvet, I get really hot and
sweaty halfway through the night. Often it makes my eczema go crazy,
and I have to get up and put on steroid cream, and get that horrid
comforter/duvet off of me now!

However, if Mark sleeps under a feather comforter/duvet, he gets an
asthma attack from all the dustmites. And his eczema goes crazy as
well.

There must be a better way. We can both tolerate cotton. So is there
such a creature as a cotton comforter or duvet? Yes, I think it is
called a quilt, and I am making one for my own self, *not* to give
away, but until it's done I thought I'd just ask here if anyone had
seen a cotton comforter/duvet beast........?

I also have had some wild ideas of using 2 or 3 battings, quilted
together, inside a duvet cover, instead of the horrid polyester duvet
or the dreaded feather duvet. Thoughts?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old May 13th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Melanie Rimmer

Marks and Spencer have an eco-duvet. I don't know what's in it, but if
it's eco I'm guessing it's neither feather nor polyester. Perhaos cotton
or some kind of bamboo fibre. Worth a look.
Old May 13th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

What kind of temperatures are you dealing with Jo? We realize that you're
not in a tropical climate but don't know how cold it is. Wonder if washable
wool might be your solution? Polly

Old May 13th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Well, as with clothes, Jo, I use layers.

Just be careful with putting 2 or 3 battings together permanently, that
the whole thing does not get too large for washing machines (ours are
smaller than the US ones, typically).

You could do what the commercially-minded duvet makers do and have
seasonal covers. You could put 3 or 4 together in winter; 2 or 3 for
spring/autumn; 2 or 1 for summer. I don't think they would need to be
quilted together? Perhaps use a couple of velcro dots in each corner?
Perhaps you could bind the individual edges with pretty cotton fabric,
so that they wouldn't deteriorate. Then pick up your cover, decide on
the weather/temperature and pop in however many layers you feel you
need. That way, you could even differentiate between one side and the
other, in case one likes to be hot and the other likes to be cool.

I need to have extra things on top that I can fling off, as I get hotter
during the night. I have a thin duvet plus a couple of pieces of fleece
which usually end up on the floor by morning!

This is a problem/dilemma you can resolve!
..
In message , Johanna Gibson
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 13th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

In message , Johanna Gibson
writes
[...]

I have had a similar idea. I have problems with my legs. Some times I
cannot bear the duvet on and kick my legs out. Then they get cold and
cramp sets in. I have two silk battings and I wondered if I put them
both together inside a cotton duvet case and sewed the lines down to
keep them together that it would work. It would be light weight and silk
should keep me warm. Anyone any thoughts on that. I only ever have a
4.5tog duvet on even during winter because of the weight. We keep the
heating on in my room because of my angina being affected by cold.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old May 13th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

What about organic wool? http://www.naturalclothing.co.uk/pro...g%20duvet.html
I googled 'cotton filled duvets' (mostly in US & Canada) but I imagine
that a search from UK would bring up more options.... jennellh

Old May 13th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Could you not put your layers of cotton batting between two washed layers of
muslin, tie it or tack it either by hand or machine, then slip it into a
duvet cover. You could make the duvet cover a nice pieced top envelope. You
could then wash the batting and the cover.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old May 13th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 13 May 2008 08:26:55 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

What kind of temperatures are you dealing with Jo? We realize that you're
not in a tropical climate but don't know how cold it is. Wonder if washable
wool might be your solution? Polly

Wool of any sort sets off the eczema. Mark can handle wool though. I
gave him one of my traditional "fisherman" sweaters because I can
never wear it. Mind, it means I can't go near him when he's in it.
Effective Jo-deterent, that one....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old May 13th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Do you have to have one big one? The normal custom in many places (including
Germany) is for single size duvets. Then you could each use the best one for
you. And no tug-of-war over bedding!
Roberta in D

Old May 13th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

http://www.eco-furniture.com/3036/na..._comforter.php
Here's another link to a cotton fill comforter - another place I saw
used silk for the filling - try googling to find something to suit you
both or get twin beds! jennellh