Pricing your wares

Old June 24th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Default Pricing your wares

I think of myself as a dedicated hobbyist, I love sculpting and art
gives me back more than I put in.

I first started working with glass, mirror and polymer clay in an
ideal setting, living and working in a theatre production in the Smoky
Mountains. My days were free to scout for glass pieces and sit at my
work space. And by the end of that first summer, I had produced about
10 pieces. We had a craft sale and just about every piece found a
home.

The next summer, last year, I went insane and sculpted about 30
hours a week for about 10 weeks. It was heaven. My final output was
37 pieces, and sold 34....again, to friends and co-workers. Since the
summer ended, I've set up a studio in my Nashville home, and kept at
it, though more sporadically. All told, I have about 20 pieces
finished and another 5 in the pipeline.

And no more room.

And though I love looking at them, I also love when other people want
to have them, so it's just a little heartbreak to sell them but sell
them I must (as do many of us.....).

My dilemma: When selling to friends, sharing a hobby, making
anything above my cost for materials (clay, glass pieces, mirrors,
etc.) was fine, but breaking it down into an hourly wage made it very
clear that, yes it was still a hobby. i.e., an activity that suctions
time and money but still seems worth it.

How do we know how much to ask for art? My pieces run 10-12 hours
of hands-on sculpting, plus baking and cooling time. And some are kind
of large, but easier to make. Do you charge more for size or time?

Any suggestions, experiences would be appreciated...

Old June 26th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Emmett -

Not sure how to answer this one, honestly. I've just sold a few bits
and bobs of my clay things as I ramp up to doing larger orders. I do
have a place interested in carrying clay covered boxes and I'm waiting
to see how much time they take, each, before setting my wholesale
price.

I hope some of the other folks on teh board will chime in. Clay pricing
is much different than beadwork pricing.

Barbara

Old June 27th 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

.... I should add that whatever you can get for your work at auction,
the right store or gallery can get more for the same thing.

Ingrid

Free - Jewelry Pricing Calculator pasternak Findings - Jewelry findings Jewelry 0 June 19th 06 03:19 PM
New to the group and seeking advice on ebay pricing and selling jesse Beads 13 August 5th 05 06:14 AM
Diamond Pricing Mystery t0rk-- Jewelry 1 February 11th 04 07:21 AM
Determining fair 14K jewelry pricing Bill Jewelry 12 December 2nd 03 04:17 AM
Pricing? Carey1003 Sewing 5 August 29th 03 06:43 PM