Stitching bird!

Old May 5th 04, 12:27 PM
pensmom4

Default Stitching bird!

I subscribe to one of those Google news alerts for Needlework. Look
at today's web alert!

Tailor's bird has customers in stitches

London - A brainy cockatiel has learnt to sew after watching his owner
working in a tailor's shop.

The nine-year-old bird called Baggio learnt how to stitch by copying
Jack Territo.

The pet can now pick up a pin and thread it through the material with
his beak.

Mr Territo, 60, who runs a tailor's shop in Park Street, Bristol,
said: "I've never heard of a bird that can stitch but Baggio has a
great sewing action.

"He has become a real hit with our customers."

Baggio is to appear on a new BBC1 talent show, Test Your Pet, next
week.

The show is hosted by Rolf Harris, who is hoping to find Britain's
smartest pet.

Mr Territo is confident his cockatiel will impress viewers with his
needlework skills.

"When people see what he can do, I think he will be top billing. Other
animals can do tricks but this bird can sew. There is no competition."

Viewers will decide in a phone poll vote which pet takes the title of
Britain's smartest. -- Ananova News
Old May 5th 04, 02:28 PM
Joan Erickson

pensmom4 wrote:

Viewers will decide in a phone poll vote which pet takes the title of
Britain's smartest. -- Ananova News

Do keep us update on this, would you please? Although *we* know he's
the smartest, it'll be interesting to see what the voters think!

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old May 9th 04, 12:05 PM
Cryn

"Joan Erickson" wrote in message
pensmom4 wrote:

Viewers will decide in a phone poll vote which pet takes the title of
Britain's smartest. -- Ananova News

Do keep us update on this, would you please? Although *we* know he's
the smartest, it'll be interesting to see what the voters think!

--
Joan

The programme was amazing last night! The cockatiel was voted winner by one
expert who said it was unique that the bird learnt a complex skill simply by
watching what his owner was doing. It certainly seemed to be doing a
competent backstitch through a duster! I wonder if, given time, it will
learn to thread the needle? They said parrots were as smart as a 3 year old
child.
The other winners were also incredible. A collie fetched soft toy style
letters of the alphabet on command and a retriever 'aid' dog went against
all his training to fetch help from 2 miles away when his owner overturned
her wheelchair and was knocked unconscious.
The IQ tests are on www.bbc.co.uk/testyourpet - but I won't be doing them.
My 3 bichons have a large 'love gland' but only one brain cell between them!
Carolyn