polishing my beads

Old October 22nd 03, 03:17 PM
Beth Stubbs

Default polishing my beads

I am looking for sandpaper to polish my beads ( I use the rock tumbler
method ala clayfulmingles. A GREAT method). The problem is finding sandpaper
of a finer grit than 600. I've found crocus paper with 800 grit at ACE
hardware but I don't like the way that works. Where can I get 800 and 1000
grit sandpaper?
PS- please respond to my email as well as the newsgroup- I'm new to this and
I'm not sure I'd find the reply right away.
TIA
Beth in Marietta, GA

Old October 22nd 03, 03:49 PM
Sjpolyclay

Where can I get 800 and 1000
grit sandpaper?

Hi! You can get cool packages of varied grits over at Polymer Clay Central,
along with some great sanding tips included. You can get packages of the
higher grits like 1000-2000 in the auto detailing sections of Walmarts, etc.
Also called wet/dry paper, its gray and looks very smooth.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old October 22nd 03, 06:43 PM
Beth Stubbs

Thanks Sarajane.
Okay, so I hit your website and I read your great write up on Flecto
Varathane. I was just wondering if you could answer another question. Is the
Flecto Varathane water proof- or does it hold up to water? I usually use
Future Floor Wax as a finish for my beads. However... my latest project has
been stringing my beads on to wire and wrapping them around a wine glass
stem- a great look. Until! I noticed that after a few washings the beads
were turning white. The Future does not hold up to soapy water! (All I had
to do was squirt the beads with a little Windex and the ammonia took the
film right off.) I can always just polish the beads up to their highest
luster and not put a finish on them (thus the first question) but I would
prefer the high gloss look.
TIA again,
Beth

Old October 22nd 03, 10:45 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

Automotive shops carry it for body work and I've even found it in the
automotive department at Walmart.

| On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:17:39 -0400, "Beth Stubbs" wrote:

I am looking for sandpaper to polish my beads ( I use the rock tumbler
method ala clayfulmingles. A GREAT method). The problem is finding sandpaper
of a finer grit than 600. I've found crocus paper with 800 grit at ACE
hardware but I don't like the way that works. Where can I get 800 and 1000
grit sandpaper?
PS- please respond to my email as well as the newsgroup- I'm new to this and
I'm not sure I'd find the reply right away.
TIA
Beth in Marietta, GA

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old October 23rd 03, 03:54 PM
Sjpolyclay

Hi Beth!
Flecto holds up to washing well. I brush it on, dipping puts on too thick a
coat and some people have had it peel. Here's a link to buttons that have been
washed, and dried.
http://www.polyclay.com/buttonwash.jpg

the ones on the right are Premo stained with a Flecto and black acrylic-gold
pearlex mix. Too much pearlex on the clay and the Flecto won't bond tho---s0
buttons that are highly PX'd don't wash as well.

Old October 24th 03, 07:42 PM
Don Stephens

What I would suggest is a visit to the woodcraft website (woodcraft.com) and
purchase a Micro-Mesh sanding set. Here is a discription: "Large Kit
includes two 3" x 6" pieces of each of nine abrasive grits from 1,500 to
12,000 and a special foam sanding block. " I use this to polish my wooden
and polymer pens and you can get a mirror finish if you spend the time.

. ..

Old November 2nd 03, 09:18 PM
Single Digit Sam

First post and first thread I've read here so excuse me if this is a
stupid question. I know nothing about polymer clay other than seeing
it advertised for a long time.
My Question:
Can beads made of this stuff be polished in a gem polisher or is it
all too soft? Thank you, just surfing bye on my way to the restaurant
at the end of the Galaxy...

-- Single Digit Sam
Old November 3rd 03, 06:40 AM
Deb Hayes

SDS-

You bet it can!

the only thing is, you shouldn't use the grits intended for gems and rocks.
Small pieces of sandpaper inside the tumbler work very well!

HTH,

Deb

Old November 3rd 03, 10:52 AM
Single Digit Sam

Thank you.

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:40:12 -0800, "Deb Hayes"
wrote:

SDS-

You bet it can!

the only thing is, you shouldn't use the grits intended for gems and rocks.
Small pieces of sandpaper inside the tumbler work very well!

HTH,

Deb

.. .