Could "Sculpey" poly clay form part of a waterblock?

Old August 8th 03, 06:25 PM
Ken Maltby

Default Could "Sculpey" poly clay form part of a waterblock?

In order to make some waterblocks for the
memory chips on a video card (ATI Radeon
9700Pro) I cut some 1/4" copper bar into
1 3/4" X 11//16 and milled a 1/4" channel
into each end of which I soldered 1/4" soft
copper tube, for connection points.

I covered the top and sides of this copper
with some "Polyform Products Co. Inc."
"Sculpey". It adhered well and after baking
and applying sealer (to the outside only), I
ran regular tap water thru it for about 7 hours
with no leaks.

So far this is much easier than trying to get
a good seal epoxing Plexiglass.

My question is:
Well this polymer clay (baked but unsealed,
on the inside) stand up to distilled water and
a little bit of "Water Wetter"?

I have seen where a whiteish bloom was a prob.
that could be overcome. What I can't find out is
if there is any major structural effect, ie would it
melt or turn brittle and or leak. (It seems really
stuck onto the copper now.)

I'm no artist and have little experience with
modeling compounds. Hopeing someone here
can help.

Ken

Old August 13th 03, 01:48 PM
Ken Maltby

"Kathmandu" kathmandu(at)cableone.com wrote in message

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
m...

I covered the top and sides of this copper
with some "Polyform Products Co. Inc."
"Sculpey". It adhered well and after baking
and applying sealer (to the outside only), I
ran regular tap water thru it for about 7 hours
with no leaks.

So far this is much easier than trying to get
a good seal epoxing Plexiglass.

My question is:
Well this polymer clay (baked but unsealed,
on the inside) stand up to distilled water and
a little bit of "Water Wetter"?

I have seen where a whiteish bloom was a prob.
that could be overcome. What I can't find out is
if there is any major structural effect, ie would it
melt or turn brittle and or leak. (It seems really
stuck onto the copper now.)

As far as I know, a little discoloration is about all that occurs when
polymer clay is submerged for long periods. The question is will "Sculpey"
hold up and there really isn't much I can say except probably not. Plain
white "Sculpey" is probably the weakest, least durable poly clay around.

It
is great for learning and kids but it is brittle and easily crumbles
compared to the better, more durable clays like "Premo" (by the makers of
Sculpey) and "Femo"

I would use an epoxy clay rather than a poly clay for water contact as the
epoxy clay is billed as waterproof when dry and sticks like mad to most
surfaces. Durn near indestructible too. Marine grade epoxy putty may be
more like what you are looking for as it is available at Wal Mart car
section with the sandpaper and is relatively cheap.

Let us know how it turns out will ya?

Kathmandu

Thanks for the responce. The epoxy clay idea sounds
just right. As it is I made up the four water blocks with
orig. Sculpey and painted them to match the Swiftech
waterblock on the GPU. Now it's just a matter of
whether it well last until I replace the video card or if it
well spring a leak inside my computer case.

Thanks,
Ken

Poly Clay/ wicked Candace Stephanie Beads 49 September 12th 04 03:07 AM
New Poly Clay Book BeckiBead Beads 1 June 11th 04 02:36 PM
poly clay site? Carla Beads 3 April 24th 04 09:39 PM
AD: Lampwork Clearance and Poly Clay Juanita Floyd Beads 1 February 22nd 04 02:09 AM
AD: Poly Clay and Lampwork End Sat. Juanita Floyd Beads 6 January 11th 04 02:48 AM