Futuristic Armor

Old June 11th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Default Futuristic Armor

I am making a Futuristic set of armor. has any one on this list
ever used polymer clay for this sort of thing? Do you know of any
fan clubs that do this for fun?

Achbar
Old June 11th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

I can't imagine that the clay would hold up, although you would be able
to get some good faux effects with it. Plus, you'd have to bake it in
sections, then assemble somehow. You'd need an industrial size oven to
bake a full-size armor item.

Barbara

http://www.penguintrax.com and http://www.backseatgrammarian.com

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

Need quality, inexpensive web hosting with site builder and 50 apps? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com.

Old June 12th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

I did some Borg type pieces once. Back in college, we vacu-formed armor
breastplates with plastics and they held up well, but polymer clay is
awfully soft by comparison. Its fab for making the "detail carving" type
stuff on top of something else though. also, for doll or mini-sculptural
armour, its GREAT!!!!
Sarajane

--
Sarajane's Polyclay Gallery
Beads-Dolls-Wearable Art

See the progress at "Pieces"
http://www.polyclay.com/store.htm

Old June 13th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Hi Achbar,
I seem to recall Christine (Xtine) Alibert in France made a polymer
top in 1996 that she actually wore.
Also one of the Mitchell sisters (Karen or Ann) made a polymer top
that used polymer squares hooked together using metal rings, sort of
like chainmail, and actually wore it, too. I believe that was in 2000
because I remember seeing it worn at the Ravensdale 2000 polymer clay
conference.
These weren't 'futuristic' but I do know a N.W. Polymer Clay Guild
member that creates polymer props/costuming for Sci-Fi conventions. We
used to have a member that created her costume for the Pride Parade out
of polymer and it was many feet tall, too... Hope this gives you some
ideas!

Meredith

The Ravensdale 2006 conference on the art of polymer clay with mixed
media is coming! www.ravensdale.info

Old June 13th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Here's a link to the vest from the Mitchell sisters. Tres cool!
http://www.ankaradesigns.com/Pages/G...Gallery08.html
Hee! Imagine meeting you here, Ms. Meredith! Helllooooooooooo!

daPuffin (wondering what new and cool stuff will be at R'dale 06?)