Lumina Clay

Old March 16th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Default Lumina Clay

Hi all,

I've recently come across this product called "Lumina clay" that is
advertised as an "air dry polymer" - has anyone tried this? It's
available through only a couple of sources here in the US and I suspect
it is manufactured by Padico who also make La Doll and many other air
dry clays...

The little info I could find compares it in workability, strength, and
looks to regular heat set polymer clays. I ordered some but it has not
arrived from Hawaii yet :/

Anyway, if any of you have experience with this, I have some questions:

I'm very interested in the fact that Lumina can be mixed with oil paint
while wet - does that mean that it is a mineral spirit rather than
water based clay?

It is called a "polymer" clay but does not require heating to cure,
does that mean that it is a PVA rather than PVC formula?

I am very concerned with using the plastisizer chemicals found in
regular heat set polymer clays - does Lumina contain any of those
chemicals?

I'm interested in using it to carve miniature items instead of using
wood - how does it respond to regular carving tools? Is the texture of
the dry clay comparable to a cured heat set polymer?

Thanks for your time,

Christine

clay production - cutting off expences MJ Pottery 9 December 9th 04 02:16 PM
warning: GREAT LAKES CLAY COMPANY (WILL STEAL FROM YOU) grizzzlyadam Pottery 17 March 19th 04 02:22 AM
Storing clay CNB Pottery 18 January 27th 04 02:46 AM
Modeling clay as a substitute for "clay bars" for auto detailing? Jon Noring Polymer Clay 4 September 23rd 03 12:36 AM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM