new online lesson, sculpting feet

Old February 11th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Default new online lesson, sculpting feet

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have been so intimidated trying to
think of a way to sculpt or cast a hand (and one nearly 2x the size of
actual human hand) and, voila, here is your post!

Now, my question is: if I make a hand that thick, will it actually bake? Or
should I go back to square one and figure out another way to the formation
of the hand?

Thanks, Marika, for such a wonderful tutorial! And, thanks to the group.

Kim

This is the direct link to the tutorial pages:
http://members.home.nl/asrai/cursus-en.htm
Or when you click the url at my signature, chose Online lessons from the
left menu.

Hope you like the tutorial. :-)

--
Marika

http://members.home.nl/fantasydolls

Old February 22nd 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Default My Newly Sculpted Hand

"Marika" wrote in message
Kim schreef...
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have been so intimidated trying to
think of a way to sculpt or cast a hand (and one nearly 2x the size of
actual human hand) and, voila, here is your post!

Now, my question is: if I make a hand that thick, will it actually bake?
Or
should I go back to square one and figure out another way to the
formation
of the hand?

Thanks, Marika, for such a wonderful tutorial! And, thanks to the group.

Kim

Hi Kim,

Well there might be another problem with the size you would like to
make, do you have an oven big enough for this? I would not advice to
make it solid. To cure polymerclay you need to bake about 15 minutes per
6 mm (1/4") of thickness. I usualy use an armature with tinfoil inside
bigger objects.

I think I would try another type of clay, for instance an air drying
clay over a wire armature. Perhaps make a wire armature looking like a
skeleton hand, build it up using (kitchen)paper and papertape. After
this you can use airdrying clay for the sculpting.

Good luck! ;-)

--
Marika

http://members.home.nl/fantasiefiguren
http://mariekopdekiek.web-log.nl

Wow, fancy that! I have been waiting to get home from the office today to
get a message to the group and...we must have been on the same wavelength.

OK...here's the deal. I got so excited about the tutorial for sculpting
hands that I've already done it! I used aluminum foil in the same way as is
instructed in the tutorial (i.e., I made a "stub" then sliced through the
foil to shape the four fingers, made a separate thumb and put it on just the
way it's instructed, etc.). Then, I began working poly clay onto the foil
and I now have a fairly beautiful hand that I am going to go ahead and the
fingernails onto tonight.

Here's my dilemna--and I know some of you may really sigh and think what an
idiot I am; but what I did is sculpted the hand out of Sculpey (just the
regular 'ol white stuff that comes in a pretty big box). I know, I
know...what an idiot. BUT, there's got to be a way...please tell me there's
a way!

This hand will still fit in my toaster oven, and I am pretty sure it will
still fit once I have also added the art layers to it. In other words, the
white sculpey is just the base and I will be adding Premo (or whatever you
suggest--Kato, FIMO, etc.) to detail the hand with color and shapes.

Could anyone please let me know if I should "fire" the hand as is with the
white Sculpey, then add to it and fire it again, or should I add what I'm
going to and then fire it altogether? The hand is about 2X the size of a
human hand and the clay is currently anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4", probably
mostly 1/4"--maybe some areas are a little heavier (like the knuckle and
fingertip area).

By the way, the foil worked wonderfully and I referred to the tutorial
often. It's perfect and I so appreciate it!

Let me know if I need to give any more details.

Kim

Old February 27th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Kim wrote:

[...]

Is this Super Sculpey or something else? I'm not familiar with all the
Sculpey clays. It is not a common clay brand in The Netherlands. I only
tried Sculpey LivingDoll myself, it's a lot like the Prosculpt polymer
clay. :-)

This hand will still fit in my toaster oven, and I am pretty sure it will
still fit once I have also added the art layers to it. In other words, the
white sculpey is just the base and I will be adding Premo (or whatever you
suggest--Kato, FIMO, etc.) to detail the hand with color and shapes.

Could anyone please let me know if I should "fire" the hand as is with the
white Sculpey, then add to it and fire it again, or should I add what I'm
going to and then fire it altogether? The hand is about 2X the size of a
human hand and the clay is currently anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4", probably
mostly 1/4"--maybe some areas are a little heavier (like the knuckle and
fingertip area).

I think you should first cure the hand with the white Sculpey, then add
new layers with a skintone polymerclay on top of the cured clay. Most
polymer clays can be baked more than once.
I do hope it will be strong enough with just the tinfoil underneath, for
a big hand I would always use a wire armature. I read somewhere that
Sculpey isn't a very strong clay. That clay combined with a foil
armature.....hmm I would be very careful with this hand when it's cured! ;-)

By the way, the foil worked wonderfully and I referred to the tutorial
often. It's perfect and I so appreciate it!

That's great to hear! :-))

Let me know if I need to give any more details.

Kim

I wish you a lot of succes and fun with the sculpting, would love to see
a picture when it's finished!

--
Marika

http://members.home.nl/fantasydolls

Pay Less with Online Shopping [email protected] Beads 0 December 11th 04 11:41 AM
New online supplier Sarit Wolfus Jewelry 0 June 24th 04 09:31 AM
Online Bead Supplier?? PetraMan Beads 4 June 20th 04 07:38 AM
Quality dollhouse miniatures online Carol Marketplace 0 August 28th 03 10:32 AM
ONLINE GALLERIES with UNLIMITED IMAGES Art E Fartee Marketplace 0 August 15th 03 07:55 PM