Ricky Tims Seminar Review

Old February 5th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Ricky Tims Seminar Review

I had read several posts here recommending going to see Ricky Tims. I
definitely second that after attending his 2 day seminar in Portland
Oregon. (http://www.rickytims.com/rtqs.htm)

I enjoyed his seminar very much. He covered a wide range of topics so
even though one particular technique might not be one I'd want to use
in the future, there was always another coming. He's an interesting
speaker and quite a character!

I never felt bored or antsy even though we essentially sat in lectures
for 2 days. Mostly he presented and coupled that with with some
demonstrations. And he showed some excerpts from his vidoes (maybe 1/2
to 3/4 of an hour out of the entire 2 days). You are given a notebook
where each of the techniques or subjects is covered in detail.

Backstage his quilts (and some done by others) were displayed so we
could examine and rexamine them to see how a particular technique was
used.

His seminar is cosponsored by Bernina so there was some mention of
Bernina-specific features but I didn't feel it was too commericial.
There was a local Bernia dealer present nearby. He also sold his
hand-dyed fabric and some other items during the breaks, but again I
didn't feel like that was pushed too hard. (The fabric was lovely but
$25 a yard! I resisted the temptation but plenty of others didn't.)

I thought the level was good for a non-beginner who didn't already know
how to use his techniques. I think a beginner could follow the class
just fine but might need to study the notebook more later. But the
info you need is in the notebook for further reference.

At the start of each session he took our questions that we had
submitted on index cards. So he was able to address individual
questions without being bogged down with questions while he was
presenting.

Several people had already taken a class or two from him on a
particular technique. One person had already attended this exact
seminar elsewhere - I wouldn't do that myself - but I'd definitely take
a different class or seminar from him in the future.

Thought you might like to know - I see he has upcoming seminars in
Michigan, Indiana and Wisconsin this year. NAYY

--Ann

Old February 5th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ann, Our guild brought him out to Australia last year and we all
enjoyed his workshops and 1 day seminar. It is just refreshing to have
a 'bloke' show his quilting expertise to get a different take on the
things we love about quilting.

Cheers
Bronnie

Old February 6th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough review... Most of
the time I feel like I'm pretty clueless about what a class will be
like--and wish that more of the PR materials would be even half as complete.

--Heidi

Plattsburgh (UPstate) NY

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

===

Old February 6th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm taking a class from him in Paducah this year. Even though I think it
will be more of an intimate lecture than a hands on class, I'm very excited
about it. I usually don't have to do a technique to understand it, so I
think I'll learn a lot just by his demonstrations.
KJ

Old February 6th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I took a hands on class with Ricky Tims a couple years ago. Enjoyed every
minute of it! Luckily, there was a piano in the room where the class was
held, so when we were all busy and not asking a multitude of questions, he
would sit down and play. Who could ask for anything more? Good music and
quilting!
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org