Punchcard/knitting problem with memo-matics

Old May 15th 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Default Punchcard/knitting problem with memo-matics

Hi,

I have recently ventured into the patterns of the knitting machine but
everytime i use my punch cards about 1/2 though the knitting of the
back of the cardigan it does not knit all the stitches probably... what
am I doing wrong....?

many thanks
CC

Old May 19th 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Can you explain in a bit more detail what is happening? Does the main
yarn continue to knit, and the pattern yarn stop, or does it stop
knitting altogether?

What machine are you using? Might be worth hoovering the punchard slot
(if it's a punchcard) - could be dust bunnies!

ttfn

Jane

Old May 20th 06, 07:58 AM
Colleen57 Colleen57 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel breeze
Can you explain in a bit more detail what is happening? Does the main
yarn continue to knit, and the pattern yarn stop, or does it stop
knitting altogether?

What machine are you using? Might be worth hoovering the punchard slot
(if it's a punchcard) - could be dust bunnies!

ttfn

Jane
Hi Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to help it is appreciated.

I get to do the ribbing and knit and i have started with the first example in the instruction manual.

I have a singer 323 and 321 but am attempting the pattern on the 323.

I get to knit the pattern up to about the armhole length, then i remove the comb and put on the manual weights. The minute i do this there are certain needles that just sort of collect the yarn on the needle with every row knitted and these eventually clump up . I have tried to knit them manually and the minute i do this i am inclined to loose the pattern or the yarn just breaks.

I am using a tension 7 with a 4ply yarn.

Old May 20th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Hi Colleen, it sounds like you don't have enough evenly distributed weight
once you change from the comb to manual weights - do you mean claw weights?
Once the ribber cast on comb hits the floor, try rolling the knitting up
around it and secure with bulldog type clips, otherwise try using the single
bed cast on comb and rehang it further up the knitting.
Hope this helps,
--
Sue W in East Anglia, UK

Old May 21st 06, 02:08 AM
Colleen57 Colleen57 is offline
Junior Member

Hi Sue,

Thank you for that I am about to give it another go this morning....I will
most certainly let you know if that helps. Thanks a ton

Colleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue W

Old May 23rd 06, 08:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Yep, I agree with Sue, sounds like too much weight on the knitting is
causing the patterning needles to do a "tuck". Especially if the yarn's
under so much weight it breaks - that shouldn't be happening!

Personally I keep on going with the ribber comb and weights until they
hit the floor - after that, I tend to just use the small claw weights
at either edge of the knitting, or roll up the ribber comb as Sue
suggested. By then, the weight of the knitting itself is more than
sufficient to ensure correct knitting.

Let us know how you get on.

Jane

(Rugby, UK)

Old June 1st 06, 07:51 AM
Colleen57 Colleen57 is offline
Junior Member

Hi All,
Thank you kindly for all assistance. I worked until i got to about 6 rows from the end and it started to pucker but only on 1 needle. I don't know if my tension is to tight either. Machine has been serviced and was told in good condition. So I am going to give it another go on my next day off work.
Will let you know the outcome.

Next question is.... if i have 2 ply wool and use 2 lots so having what i would assume would be 4 ply. I have treated the yarn as a 3 ply as it seems so thing.

Would this be correct or does one just say 2 strands of yarn on one cone mixed with another with 2 strands = 4 ply.

Thanks again in advance.

Regards

Old June 5th 06, 11:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Yes, 2 2plys roughly makes a 4ply.