Quilt Shop

Old June 29th 04, 02:43 AM

Default Quilt Shop

Thinking about starting a Quilt Shop in southern Ohio. Any advice or
thoughts. Starting research to see how much or what all I need to do to get
started.
Lisa

Old June 29th 04, 08:07 AM
Patti

Hullo Lisa
This subject has been aired many times on the group. I don't have any
information myself, but just wanted to suggest that you might like to
try Googling our group archives on the topic to see if you can find the
very full answers that there have been.
..
In article ,
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 29th 04, 11:23 AM
Shirley.Caylor

I wish you lots of luck and I also wish I were you. It must be the dream of
almost every quilter to open their own LQS.

Be sure and let us know when it's up and going and include a website so we
can order on line.

{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}

Shirley

Old July 3rd 04, 07:50 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
wrote:

Thinking about starting a Quilt Shop in southern Ohio. Any advice or
thoughts. Starting research to see how much or what all I need to do to get
started.
Lisa

Just got back from a retreat and one of the lectures was on this topic.
The first thing the speaker said (to which every shop owner agreed) was
"don't open a shop if you ever plan on making another quilt; there's no
time"

The quilt designer list just had this topic too. The standard advice
was to open a quilt shop the average lay out is....$100,000, 16 hour
days 7 days a week and three years to make a profit. It's a tough job
to own your own business. People think, oh I will put out a few bolts
of fabric and people will come but it's really very hard.

Seek out classes: check out your local community college for small
business courses, take a visit to Sylvia Landman's website, order up
pertinant issues of The Professional Quilter magazine, seek out seminars
and workshops geared to quilt shop owners and network, network, network
with shop owners at quilt market.

marcella
Old July 7th 04, 05:11 PM

Being in business for yourself is as much fun as natural childbirth.
BTDT (not quilt shop) Nancycog in MD

Old July 7th 04, 05:58 PM
frood

Gosh, maybe I should open a business, then! ;-P

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old July 10th 04, 01:14 AM
nana2b

I couldn't have said it better myself! Only my pain lasted 10 years
(profitable yes) but as the years went on it sucked the life out of me!

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old July 10th 04, 03:54 AM
merrystitch

Amen. The fun of the hobby goes away when you're worried about making
expenses, advertising, ordering the right fabric in the right quantities,
etc. Then there's always the person who says, "I used to quilt, but now I
have a 40-hr a week job".

Merrystitch

news

New quilt shop Julia in MN Quilting 0 March 18th 04 05:09 PM
Weekend adventures: new quilt shop! Nbhilyard Quilting 0 December 23rd 03 11:14 PM
New online quilt shop MerryStahel Quilting 1 September 16th 03 12:10 PM
OK, Here's MY Life Story as it Applies to Quilting... [email protected] Quilting 10 September 3rd 03 09:07 PM
Quilt Shop Hop Report Jacquard_The_Ripper Quilting 7 July 30th 03 05:09 PM