Feece as Backing Question (longish)

Old September 4th 03, 02:24 AM
Pati Cook

Part of it depends on the brand of basting spray. I will *never* again buy
"FastTack" brand of basting spray. It is horrible. But I love 505 and
Sullivans. 505 has virtually no odor.

Pati, in Phx.

wrote:

Polly, I have never had trouble with gummy needles when using spray
basting, so I guess you may have "too heavy a hand at spraying". I have
had my best results with basting spray. Nancycog in MD

Old September 4th 03, 02:26 AM
Pati Cook

For the overspray cleanup..... try some rubbing alcohol. (Check any wood finish
first though). Or the product that is now out to clean the adhesive off the
hoops for embroidery machines.

Pati, in Phx.

Shelly wrote:

I love the basting spray that I just finished using. Don't remember the name
of it but I got it at Wal-Mart. The fabric/batting didn't shuffle around and
I didn't have a problem with anything gumming up either. *It did get on my
kitchen table and take forever to scrub/wear off though.* I took it outside
this last time I used it on a big quilt. Got dh to put up 2 saw horses and 2
full sheets of plywood and I put the quilt out together outside. It will be
really nice being able to do this in the fall and spring! I love working
outside! No problem at all with the lighting! hehe
Shelly
wrote in message
Polly, I have never had trouble with gummy needles when using spray
basting, so I guess you may have "too heavy a hand at spraying". I have
had my best results with basting spray. Nancycog in MD

---

Old September 4th 03, 02:29 AM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Sounds lovely to be working on a quilt outside in nice weather.

For winter when you are back indoors....if your basting spray travels
onto the table or floor, use rubbing alcohol to get it off. Works fast
and much easier than trying to scrub with soap and water!

marcella

Old September 4th 03, 04:46 AM
Shelly

My table is wood, so I couldn't use alcohol on it. I finally kept scrubbing
and got rid of it but it did take quite a while.
Shelly

Old September 4th 03, 01:31 PM
Julia in MN

I've never had any trouble with the basting spray gumming up the needle
either, though sometimes the sticky edges have left a little residue on
the body of my machine, but that comes off pretty easily with a bit of
rubbing alcohol. I really like how it holds everything together while
quilting, as well as how quickly I can baste a quilt with it.

I like to do it out on my patio because of the odor and flammability. I
spread an old sheet on the patio for a drop cloth and then work on the
sheet. I have used the June Tailor spray and 3M basting spray; both of
those are flammable, so I always use those outside. If I have to work
inside because of weather, I use the Sulky KK2000. It's a bit more
expensive but is non-flammable and doesn't have quite as much odor. It
does say to use with adequate ventilation, so when I do it inside, I
spread my old sheet on the kitchen floor and turn on the exhaust fan
over the stove. I prefer to work outside if I can because my kitchen is
small and I have more room on the patio. I thought the 3M spray seemed a
little stickier than the other 2 kinds, but I have only used it once and
maybe sprayed it a little more heavily than I would have had to.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old September 4th 03, 01:33 PM
Julia in MN

Something oily also often works to take off something like that, so an
oily furniture polish or even baby oil might have taken it off your
wooden table. Next time, put an old sheet or something like that on the
table before you spread out your quilt.

Old September 4th 03, 03:28 PM

Hi, Julie, I have used fleece on only one quilt, and found that it
stretches easily. I would highly recommend using a walking foot if you
intend to SITD, as I did. I also quilted first, then bound the edge as
usual. It turned out nice and cozy, but don't think I will use it again,
unless it is a tied quilt. Come to think of it, it was made before I

found spray basting. That may make it easier to control. Nancycog in MD

Juile, I've tied one pieced top with fleece backing and my daughter
loves it. However, between the stretchy fleece, heavy use, and
perhaps less than 1/4 inch seams, multiple seams have pulled out and
required remedial treatment. Just something to keep in mind! Cathy
in rainy Richmond

Thanks again for these observations. I don't know if my sister has a
walking foot for her brand new machine- but I know to make her buy one
I use mine all the time- and not just for quilting projects. I will
suggest spray basting (and maybe a few pins too) to help her out during
quilting it.

Now that I know about your DD's quilt, I really am going to suggest she
quilt this quilt to add stability to the block seams. Since this is her
first quilt- I am not sure her seam allowances will be perfect. I know
that she expects to use it on her bed- which means medium to heavy use.

Thanks again everyone!

Julie
Richmond, VA
Old September 5th 03, 02:54 AM
Polly Esther

For all of your ideas, thoughts, questions and experiences, thank you so
much. Ladies of the Cloth, this has been such a helpful discussion. You are
wonderful. I appreciate you. Polly