Lots and lots of fabric

Old January 22nd 11, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
melb

Default Lots and lots of fabric

Have you all seen this?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-90192-1.htm

Edna

Old January 22nd 11, 03:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I am eager to read what your reaction is to this obsession. It touches me
first as so many lost opportunities. She could have enjoyed sharing with
charities that dress children or warm the laps at the Veteran's homes ...
etc. But she didn't.
Makes me want to get going and weed out stash that I may never use and
get it in the hands of somebody who can.
Makes me think my own stash is minuscule.
Maybe my 'practical' side has taken over. Just my personal thoughts.
Yours? Polly

Old January 22nd 11, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 07:28:16 -0600, melb wrote
(in article ) :

Have you all seen this?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-90192-1.htm

Edna

Oh, my! There is more fabric there then there was when one of our LQS had a
going out of business sale.

Maureen

Old January 22nd 11, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 09:05:36 -0600, Polly Esther wrote
(in article ):

I am eager to read what your reaction is to this obsession. It touches me
first as so many lost opportunities. She could have enjoyed sharing with
charities that dress children or warm the laps at the Veteran's homes ...
etc. But she didn't.
Makes me want to get going and weed out stash that I may never use and
get it in the hands of somebody who can.
Makes me think my own stash is minuscule.
Maybe my 'practical' side has taken over. Just my personal thoughts.
Yours? Polly

"melb" wrote in message

I'm in the process of weeding out my stash in the hopes of getting back into
my sewing room before spring. This really does make want to get down there
and do a little cleaning. I love my stash and I love shopping for it, but
that was just so overwhelming.

Maureen

Old January 22nd 11, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I can understand wanting to have a variety of stash to choose from.
But at some point it becomes overwhelming and a true addiction, that
would get that much fabric into that lady's possession. How sad for
her, how sad for those who could have used her donations if she had
been in that mindset.

I hope that the estate auction was to help pay for outstanding bills/
funeral and memorial expenses. I hope the rest was donated to a worthy
cause.

My stash is tiny compared to hers, but it is still too much for me. I
have done a purging, and will do more. Yes, there are some pieces that
recall the where/when they were acquired, and some are sentimental
pieces. But there is much that no longer calls to me. When I organized
it all a couple weeks back, I set aside the first group of purging.

Ginger in CA

"melb" wrote in message

Have you all seen this?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-90192-1.htm

Edna- Hide quoted text -

Old January 22nd 11, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_7_]

I feel like I have no fabric at all after looking at that. It does make
me wonder whether she intended to ever use it or if she just liked to
collect fabric and look at it. My first thought, though, was the same as
yours, Polly. Oh the quilts, wraps, blankets, clothes that could have
been made for those really in need. On the other hand, maybe she had
done a lot of that, too, and this was still left over! We'll never know.

Louise in Iowa
nieland1390 at mchsi dot com

Old January 22nd 11, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Good gracious, my stash is soooo pathetic! Of course, I can't put
anything in the garage...
But I do not envy the people who had to organize all that.
Roberta in D

Old January 22nd 11, 06:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Polly, you are right as usual. I've been weeding myself. Styles I
enjoyed 15-20 years ago no longer appeal as much, nor do they fit with
the quilts I aspire to make. So the novelties and sweet florals are
getting used up for toiletry bags for the women's shelter, or going
into charity quilts.

But do keep in mind that lots of people just aren't capable of sorting
and tossing, for one reason or another. We have to forgive them. I
just don't want my children to feel about me the same way I felt when
trying to clear out some of my mother's accumulation.
Roberta in D

wrote:

I am eager to read what your reaction is to this obsession. It touches me
first as so many lost opportunities. She could have enjoyed sharing with
charities that dress children or warm the laps at the Veteran's homes ...
etc. But she didn't.
Makes me want to get going and weed out stash that I may never use and
get it in the hands of somebody who can.
Makes me think my own stash is minuscule.
Maybe my 'practical' side has taken over. Just my personal thoughts.
Yours? Polly

u...

Old January 22nd 11, 07:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

"melb" wrote in message
Have you all seen this?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-90192-1.htm

Edna

My stash is big, but nowhere near!! Last October I passed the age 60
milepost and it is beginning to dawn on me that I will have a hard time
using it up in a normal lifespan. So I've been pulling the special fabrics
I've been saving, and the ones I don't like that much too. They come out,
get pressed and get cut up into strips of varying widths. I've been doing
quilts from Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville page, and I've adapted her scrap user
system. There's something so satisfying about this process right now. I
especially liked her idea to take some of those older fabrics and cut them
into 10 1/2" squares. Pieced together randomly they will make a nice
backing for quillows, which are what I've been making.

Iris