OT good gift ideas?

Old December 10th 10, 01:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT good gift ideas?

Tell us your greatest hits. Here's mine.
Years ago, I started giving the ladies in the family really neat
cooking stuff instead of jewelry they might not like or something else that
I thought was pretty and they tucked away in a drawer, never to see daylight
again.
I wasn't certain that they would go for the idea but they have all LOVED
it. Every one of them. Isn't it awful that brides attempt to cook with
cheap junk and stuff from granny's attic? ( I used to have cookie sheets
that wouldn't be good for a 1958 Studebaker oil drip pan.)
Last year's great hit? I gave each of them a mezzaluna. It is a curved
chopping blade with a handle and a bowl to match. They've all turned into
chopping maniacs - making salsa and topping all manner of stuff with pecans
and assembling fine salads. It really is such a cool tool that all of them
have been searching high and low so they could make a hit with mezzalunas
for their friends. You can see one at
http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?...emId =14d3be0
Hoping you have a great idea - there are two twenty year-old guys who will
have nothing under the tree here unless you can think of something. We'll
give them money, of course, but can't think of anything else. Help me?
Polly

Old December 10th 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I need to mention - the KitchenAid mezzaluna comes with a plastic ( or
something dishwasher-proof) bowl. There are others that come with no bowl
or a wooden one. I think a wooden one would be nice but might absorb happy
seasoning such as garlic - which wouldn't be so good with pecans, dates and
others. Polly

"Polly Esther" wrote Tell us your greatest hits. Here's mine.

Old December 10th 10, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Where I'm from in Michigan, nearby is a place called Gwen Frostic's, named
after the artist and author, who passed away years ago. Her cards and other
items are printed on old German presses with wood and linoleum blocks.
Nature and flowers were her topics. I give the small size calendars to the
secretaries and a few other co-workers each year. The same thing every year
but they are still excited to get them, even after about seven years. In
fact, I forgot to put one in the counselors mailbox last year and she
sheepisly came up to me and asked if I was mad at her because I gave them to
others but not to her. We had a good laugh at that one. Something pretty
they can look at everyday, all year long.

Here is a link.
http://www.gwenfrostic.com/c-18-cale...re-prints.aspx
Check out the other items too.

Steven
Alaska

Old December 10th 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Right on, Donna. When I struggle with the 'girls' list I always add the
son-in-law who loves to cook. Polly

wrote in message news
One year I made up gift wrapping baskets. I put in things I thought might
come in handy for wrapping. Scissors, tape, ribbons, wire cutters, pliers,
and other things I've forgotten. They were very well recieved but buying
them presents would have cost less in the long run.
For twenty-something men...how about cooking equipment, say a messaluna.
Guys have to cook too.
Donna in Bellevue

Old December 10th 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

I have a really old one of those knives..has a wooden handle and can be
sharpened with ease. There's an opening between the top of the blade and the
handle so you have a good 2" of extra cutting room if you have something
that is thick.
I've really used it especially with the artie. safer for me than regular
knives at times.

Butterfly

Old December 10th 10, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

for their friends. *You can see one athttp://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=73272&CatID=73272&Grptyp=P...
* Hoping you have a great idea - there are two twenty year-old guys who will
have nothing under the tree here unless you can think of something. * We'll
give them money, of course, but can't think of anything else. *Help me?
Polly

Polly, do the twenty year old guys like beer? I was in a quandary one
year when our son was that age. A beer making kit was just the
ticket. He's had fun brewing his own beer for several years since and
has started collecting related items like old brewery posters and
antique beer bottles. Maybe a beer making kit and a nice beer mug
would appeal to them. Donna
Old December 10th 10, 10:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

When I can't think of a guy present, he gets a Swiss Army Knife (if he
hasn't had one already). They come in dozens of cool varieties, e.g.
geek knives, golf knives, hiker knives, biker knives. One is a little
USB stick with knife blade. There's a credit-card size (my personal
fave) that includes a small knife, nail file, toothpick, scissors,
teensy ballpoint, tweezers, a straight pin, plus inch and centimeter
measures. You can get it with or without LED light. Always prepared!
Roberta in D

Old December 10th 10, 11:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 19:37:58 -0600, Polly Esther wrote:

Hoping you have a great idea - there are two twenty year-old guys who
will
have nothing under the tree here unless you can think of something.
We'll give them money, of course, but can't think of anything else.
Help me? Polly

Many of our friends tend to the hungry side of life, so food is usually a
big winner. Often I will include recipes, and sometimes the instructions
for how to put up certain things, particularly jams and jellies and such
that can be made from things you can get cheap or free in season. Last
year I included a gift certificate to my favorite mailorder seed place to
those who have a yard and might pull off a garden. Turned out to be a
gift that kept me giving the year long as they all called for advice
several times over the course of things, but more than half succeeded
admirably and their cupboards are not so bare this year.

My puzzler this year is the friend who is visiting from China with his
wife. He is not a problem, my DH and he have been friends since
elementary school. I have no idea whatsoever what to get for his wife,
who is from Shanghai. This will be the first time I have met her. They
will be going back to China so I don't want to give something that will
be a problem during travel.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old December 10th 10, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 19:37:58 -0600, Polly Esther wrote
(in article ):

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?...typ=PRD&ItemId

=14d3be0
Hoping you have a great idea - there are two twenty year-old guys who will
have nothing under the tree here unless you can think of something. We'll
give them money, of course, but can't think of anything else. Help me?
Polly

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but several years ago, while I
was in line at the Apple store waiting to pay for something else (can't
remember what now), I saw what I thought was a computer game for David called
X-Planes. It wasn't very expensive and Dave loves planes, so even though it
wasn't part of what I was planning to get for him, I bought it anyway.

It turned out to be a flight simulator. And it is the one thing (other than
the set of kitchen knives MSM gave him last year) that he uses constantly and
still talks about. Even he will tell you it is the best gift I've ever given
him. I have never been able to top it.

Maureen

Looking for gift ideas? BeadsOutWest Beads 2 October 18th 06 11:50 PM
Looking for gift ideas? BeadsOutWest Marketplace 0 October 18th 06 05:02 PM
OT(?): Any gift ideas? Marisa2 Beads 8 December 19th 03 08:04 PM
Gift Ideas Secrets of Embroidery Marketplace 0 November 19th 03 11:28 AM
Gift Ideas Secrets of Embroidery Marketplace 0 November 19th 03 11:27 AM