I've started a new quilt!

Old February 6th 14, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_3_]

Default I've started a new quilt!

First, I went through all my books about quilting, all my printouts of
great ideas. I wanted to find he "perfect" quilt pattern, and I thought
I had - Little Red Schoolhouse. Then I looked through my fabrics and
thought that red and white or even cream would be lovely, but I didn't
have enough of those colours. Then I looked at current fabric prices.

After my near heart attack, I went back to the drawing board and looked
through my stacks of completed blocks and also stacks of charms. I
recalled I started cutting squares and rectangles for "Mary's Triangles"
about 6 or 7 years ago, and finally located the plastic tub they are in.
The colours are a bit wacky, but I separated out the greens, blues,
reds, browns and golds with the odd dusty pink and faded dark purple
thrown in. I think the colour scheme is nice. I'm using off-whites and
creams with ditzy florals on for the "lights" (no WOW or COW because
I've heard those with plastic-y type stencils don't stand the test of
time). The 8" blocks are going together quickly - you make two at once!
- and it has become rather addictive, seeing how the colour combinations
will come out in these scrappy blocks.

Has anyone else here started a new quilt recently? What pattern did you
choose? Colours? Techniques?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old February 6th 14, 10:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patricia Storey

Well, funny you should ask that!
I didn't start it recently (September 2012 g); but, today I finished
the last block. Tomorrow and over the weekend, I will sew them
together. They fit into a plan, so there will be no decisions to be
taken in the assembly.
I feel so thrilled to have completed a rather mammoth task: there are
44 blocks, all different, using up my collection of black and white
prints! I designed this as a challenge quilt for my local group: there
are four block sizes: 4x4, 8x8, 4x6, 8x12.
But at the end, this morning, there were some blocks I absolutely loved.
This is the first quilt (albeit not very large) that I have finished, or
even nearly finished, in four years. I did finish a complete set of
altar cloths for my church; but this one was just pure creativity and
just for me - I will make a thin quilt to cover my computer chair, as it
is partially plastic/leather, so very hot in summer! A thin, cotton
quilt will keep me a bit more comfortable.
I am really excited, that I found after a few months, most of my old
skills were coming back. I had so feared that it would all have been
lost. I find working with prints so difficult - and this piece is just
a 'riot', not of colour (though there is a tiny bit of pale green for
lightening purposes) but of prints and contrast: white on black, black
on white, pale grey, almost black TOT. I also discovered that some
reverse side of fabric will work very well to achieve a desired effect.
It does depend on how the fabric is made, but I got some great
'savings' by being able to usse both sides! I am going to try to work on
my website in the next few weeks, so I will put a picture on that and
let you know. The website exists, but I have yet to fathom out the
instructions for adding photographs to it! Well, it's technology isn't
it? gg

I had so been looking forward to the day when I could pass on this news.
Thanks for starting me off, Jo!
..
In article , says...

[...]

Pat on the green

Old February 7th 14, 02:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary[_4_]

I'm collecting fabrics for a few quilts....2 Civil War, 2 more modern, and a
neutral inspired by Claudia's quilt on Facebook. Lately I've been using a
bunch of my holiday prints in table toppers for me, my daughter, and church
bazaar in the fall.

Mary D (retired and loving it)

Old February 7th 14, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Last month I finally started my "Tulip Vases" wall hanging. It's
Hawaiian applique, so I'm doing needle-turn. The fabric is a
multicolored batik on a white background. I fell in love with the
pattern at the LQS several years ago & bought the fabric & pattern then.
Then I decided to do a smaller Hawaiian applique first to try out the
technique. I finally finished the little one, so now I'm on the bigger
one. It's going well. I'm over half done with the center medallion. The
pattern is "Tulip Vases" from Pacific Rim Quilting.
http://www.prqc.com/small_quilt_patterns.htm

Julia in MN

started a new quilt Idahoqltr Quilting 3 March 21st 06 01:37 PM
Hug quilt started [email protected] Quilting 6 August 3rd 05 03:06 AM
Started work on 04 quilt Christina in Ok Quilting 1 March 30th 05 09:50 PM
Started jigsaw puzzle quilt Mary in Oregon Quilting 0 February 28th 04 12:17 AM
New Quilt Started nana2b Quilting 6 January 22nd 04 04:30 AM