quilt stolen from post office.....

Old September 11th 03, 08:15 PM
Kristen L. Renneker

Default quilt stolen from post office.....

this just breaks my heart!
See it on the lost quilts site at
http://www.lostquilt.com/AnAuraOfEnchantment.html

Here's a note from the quilter:

The quilt was stolen by a postal employee while in transit to the PA
Quilt extravaganza last week. I put the quilt into the Post office's hands
and they delivered the box into the Mancuso building. When the box was
opened by Mancuso employees a book had been inserted into the box and the
quilt was gone. A Mancuso manager told me that the box was cut on one side
and taped shut. I shipped the box in a Priority Mail pressure sealed box
that was new. I've contacted my senators, congressman, postal officials,
the FBI trying to get immediate action and make the quilt too hot to handle
for whoever stole it. If you have an e-mail list and could pass the word I
would like to generate a clamor too big to ignore by the post office.
Perhaps quilters would contact their senators, congressmen, chat groups,
e-mail lists, etc. and protest what happened and request action on my
behalf. This could happen to anyone sending quilts or anything else in the
mail. You can view the quilt at www.tcquilters.ourwest.com/frame.html
Scroll to the fish quilt titled Carol Shoaf.JPG or go to
www.lostquilt.com/AnAuraOfEnchantment.html

Thanks,
Carol Shoaf

--
Kristen L. Renneker

Old September 11th 03, 11:31 PM
earthmagic

It breaks my heart also to read about your loss. I've just put '6 months'
hard slog' into the hands of the post office for delivery from Oz to
England. I insured it, but on the customs label I had to write exactly what
the parcel contained. Talk about a magnet to a thief!!! It's been 6 days and
I'm on tenterhooks waiting to hear from my daughter that the quilt got there
safely. I looked at your quilts on the website. They are stunning.

earthmagic in oz.

Old September 11th 03, 11:48 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:31:45 +1000, "earthmagic"
wrote:

It breaks my heart also to read about your loss. I've just put '6 months'
hard slog' into the hands of the post office for delivery from Oz to
England. I insured it, but on the customs label I had to write exactly what
the parcel contained. Talk about a magnet to a thief!!! It's been 6 days and
I'm on tenterhooks waiting to hear from my daughter that the quilt got there
safely. I looked at your quilts on the website. They are stunning.

earthmagic in oz.

I did the same for a quilt from the UK to NZ and it got there just
fine... don't worry too much!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old September 11th 03, 11:52 PM
Monique Reed

I'm so sorry. If I ever have to mail quilt with a customs form, I
will put on the label "bits of scrap fabric and several spools of
thread."

Actually, I believe that there is a proviso that if you do not want to
list the contents on the form, you can put part of the form on the
inside of the package or something. Check the fine print on the green
form thingy.

Monique
Old September 12th 03, 01:08 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Monique Reed wrote:

I'm so sorry. If I ever have to mail quilt with a customs form, I
will put on the label "bits of scrap fabric and several spools of
thread."

Actually, I believe that there is a proviso that if you do not want to
list the contents on the form, you can put part of the form on the
inside of the package or something. Check the fine print on the green
form thingy.

Monique

I'm looking at the form right now, and you're right -- but that may be
even worse. Why? Because the most logical reason for doing it is because
the value of what's inside is over $400. Another magnet for a thief.
Besides, the form says right on it that the package may be opened
officially; there's no protection against an unscrupulous person who
happens to be a postal employee.

While my quilts are probably not valuable to anyone but me, I refused to
submit one of them to be sent to a national exhibition our guild was
invited to participate in, and it was for that exact reason. I didn't
want to deal with heartbreak if the quilt disappeared, either on purpose
or by accident.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

http://home.earthlink.net/~s_foster
Old September 12th 03, 06:54 AM
Flossy

Thats just about the meanest thing Ive heard. Why do some people assume they
have the right to help themselves to the property of another????
Flossy
Malvern England
***** Queen of Plaids ******
http://photos.yahoo.com/flossy3353

Old September 12th 03, 01:36 PM
Elena

What an awful loss! I looked at the quilt and saw so much hard work. It's
not something you forget soon. I hope they find it quick. The best thing
is indeed, getting the word out to those employees along the way that this
is Not being overlooked. I wish her every good luck in the world.

Elena in Tx, who has lost things in the mail too, but nothing like that!

Old September 12th 03, 02:33 PM
QuiltShopHopper

I hope the police can get the fingerprints off that book or the tape the
post office slug used to close the hole. All federal employees are
fingerprinted. Some employees, however, wear gloves because they move boxes
and get dirty on a regular basis. Sigh. Send gift certificates at holidays
instead of boxes with goodies.

Cyndi,

who has also lost stuff through the post office, in a similar way.

Old September 12th 03, 11:50 PM
earthmagic

"QuiltShopHopper" QuiltShopHopper@org wrote in message
I hope the police can get the fingerprints off that book or the tape the
post office slug used to close the hole. All federal employees are
fingerprinted....(snipped)

I'd hope so, too. I'd also hope that the police would find a case like this
important enough to tear themselves away from all the murders, rapes,
muggings, car thefts and other usual slime crime they have to deal with.

earthmagic in oz