Color Theory: RCTQ BOM

Old October 21st 05, 04:22 PM
Dannielle

Default Color Theory: RCTQ BOM

I have been looking, and looking, and then looking again at the BOM photos.
I look at mine, then I look at others. Some I love, some I hate...we all
have that with our personal color preferences. Regardless of the color
preference (and no, I don't even like mine, I'm just using up some old
fabric to test the blocks out and discover which ones I really like), the
blocks are positively stunning!

The differences between each block based solely on their color combinations
is just amazing to me. Each block, although assembled in the exact same
pattern, looks like a completely different block. How many of you have
studied color theory? Or are most of you just inately fabulous at picking
great color combinations?

I'd really like to see a long discussion about color choices in quilts, kind
of like our topic discussions on different blocks. I'm sure we could all
get something out of it as well as have something to add to the discussion
that might help someone else! I know just from looking at the BOM photos, I
need to spend a little more time on pre-planning my color combinations!

For example, I have a couple of blocks made up from a beautiful butterfly
batik that I fell in love with. I held the batik up to other colors and
found a peach that looked stunning, but I wanted another color involved, so
I looked at the yellows. I made one block with each color, peach and
yellow, and the yellow actually makes the batik pop even more than the
peach - which I thought would be more stunning. I plan on making more of
both color combinations and then sashing them together ( or maybe put them
on point since I have never done that). I haven't picked a sashing yet, as
I like to wait to finish the blocks and then take those with me to the store
to pick the next fabric...and I don't pick backing or borders until it is
time for them. Am I the only one who does this? Or do you all pick all the
fabrics ahead of time?

--
Dannielle

Old October 21st 05, 04:28 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Dannielle" wrote in message
I haven't picked a sashing yet, as
I like to wait to finish the blocks and then take those with me to the
store
to pick the next fabric...and I don't pick backing or borders until it is
time for them. Am I the only one who does this? Or do you all pick all
the
fabrics ahead of time?

A number of my customers pick everything ahead of time, but I find those
quilts to be, well, just not that exciting. Not enough contrast, not enough
"zing".

As for me, even though I'm a "color professional" (I own a paint and
decorating store), there's just no way I could pick everything in advance. I
find the more I quilt, the less I can pick in advance. The quilt just hasn't
always told me where it wants to go. And I *always* do what my fabric tells
me... ;-)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 21st 05, 04:39 PM
Betty in Wi

I was taught to buy the border print first.....choose one with a lot of
color....then pick colors from there for your blocks.

Betty

Old October 21st 05, 04:42 PM
Julia in MN

Dannielle wrote:
How many of you have
studied color theory? Or are most of you just inately fabulous at picking
great color combinations?

I haven't formally studied color theory. I am familiar with the color
wheel, but usually I do not consciously pick colors based on my
understanding of the color wheel. I generally start with a focus fabric
and pick the other colors from the colors in the focus fabric. Most of
my combinations are rather trial and error and some are more successful
than others. I have found that the scrappier the quilt, the less I have
to be concerned with the color combinations; it seems that if you put in
enough colors, they seem to blend pretty well.

I haven't picked a sashing yet, as
I like to wait to finish the blocks and then take those with me to the store
to pick the next fabric...and I don't pick backing or borders until it is
time for them. Am I the only one who does this? Or do you all pick all the
fabrics ahead of time?

When I first started quilting, I would buy everything at once, but now I
am more inclined to wait until I get my blocks done to buy fabric for
borders and sashing. However, if I think I might want to use one of the
block fabrics as a border, I buy enough for the border right away, so I
can be sure it will be available.

For one of my earlier quilts, I had bought green fabric for the sashing
when I bought the fabric for the blocks. After I had the blocks done, I
decided the quilt would be too green if I used the green sashing, so I
ended up going back to the store and choosing a rust for the sashing
that worked much better. I think the green is still in my stash, waiting
for the right quilt for it.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old October 21st 05, 05:19 PM
Pat in Virginia

Good thread topic Dannielle!! If you want to go on with this, you
could just post a 'new' color topic periodically, as I do with
'Focus on Design!' I am sure many of us would enjoy that. So,
please give it some thought.

Meanwhile, about 'Color and RCTQ BOM.' First, I must state that I
am not making the blocks, but I sometimes peek at others' blocks.
I too have noticed the amazing differences in the blocks,
depending on selection of fabric. Sometimes the difference is due
to factors other than color, but I will address that to stay with
your topic. One thing that really stands out for me is how some
people are using bright colors, while others are going with muted
colors. When I see the blocks in Teri's web site I am amazed!

I've never formally studied Color Theory, though I've attended a
few quilting lectures/workshops on the topic of Color. I don't
know if I am innately fabulous picking color, but *I* like what I
do. G

In my own practice of quilting (oh, I like that phrase!) I find a
variety of colors attractive. Sometimes I like muted, rich look.
Lately I really like bright, neon colors. Sometimes I like many
colors in a quilt, while other times I like few colors. In most
cases, the more different fabric, the better. IOW, if one green
is good, for is better, and 124 is best!! That depends on time
factors, materials available, pattern, and end purpose of the quilt.

I like to have a general idea, and start the project with a pile
of fabric. I add, or subtract, fabric as I go along. With each
step I reevaluate the project and make further color choices. I
find that way of working very rewarding.

All for now. Thanks for starting this conversation!
PAT, on a gray day in VA/USA

Old October 21st 05, 06:21 PM
Sally Swindells

I'm trying very hard to be more disciplined in my choice of fabric,
though I don't choose sashings, etc until the blocks are made. I had
the Jinney Beyer Colour book for my birthday that I am working my way
through, and whatever I start next I am determined to do it in a
thoughtful, measured way, not my usual one of just falling for a
fabric and getting carried along!

I am cheating a little with my BOMs because I had accumulated more
Christmas material than I needed (I won a pile in a raffle) so decided
to use them up (though of course I have had to buy more, mainly green,
and re-stock with the creams because I used these on the applique
block backgrounds. . Christmas materials are obviously mainly dark
greens, reds and creams, but even so there are some blocks I like and
some I don't.

There are some fabrics I have found I avoid using because I don't
really like them, but I have just started on a mass-production of
Christmas Stall gifts, so will clear out some of the ones that don't
appeal to me - they will become mice, baubles, bags, and little table
runners, etc., and I may like them so much when they are finished that
I will keep them!

When I put some of my Bird of Paradise Blocks together for my jacket,
http://tinyurl.com/bxb38
I wasn't too sure about them, but I am hoping that when it is quilted
with probably a navy thread it will come together and blend more, so
it wont look so much like individual blocks - plonk, plonk and plonk!
I am making it up as the picture, and then fitting it onto a
sweatshirt base for a jacket. I'm not rushing it, just doing it by
hand when I'm relaxing in the evening. It could be some time before it
appears!
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Old October 21st 05, 06:35 PM
Patti

Great question, Danielle.
For many years, the subject of colour was, to me, the most daunting. I
remember I asked in about my second lesson! How many colours do you have
to have in a quilt? In other words, what is the formula? I couldn't
see how anyone could get anywhere without a formula (I am basically a
mathematician - could you guess? g)
I bought Joen Wolfrom's book on colour. It is very scientific, and
although I loved it and its theories, I can see that many people would
find it unnecessary - those lucky people who have the talent. I still
feel my greater talent is in design. Colour choice comes a long way
down the line, though I have made some progress.
I emerged from my dead boring and predictable first few years into the
choose a fabric as a focus fabric and pick colours from that. That
suited me, because I am a 'matching' kind of 'gal'. However, I was
interested to read one advocate of that method who went on to say that,
having chosen the focus fabric, and chosen those to go with it, discard
the focus fabric!!
If you are doing it the focus fabric way, remember that those dots on
the selvage are the colours used in the fabric.
I, too, am always amazed by the difference in overall appearance the
distribution of colour makes. And, like you, some I hate, some I love.
I am occasionally very surprised at things I love, when I get down to
looking at the colour components.
As to borders and sashings, I very rarely use sashings; and am only just
beginning to use borders. I usually pick everything beforehand, but
borders I do leave until the rest of the quilt is completely finished.
..
In message , Dannielle
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 21st 05, 06:53 PM
frood

Pat, is that a cold, blue/gray day? Or a warmish brown one? Or is it the
type of grey that is equal parts black and white?

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply

Old October 21st 05, 07:09 PM
frood

I have studied color theory, and I've been blessed with an abilty to choose
colors and color combinations that please me (and a complete disreguard for
other peoples' opinions of my choices G). I have found that fabric reacts
very differently from paint color when put together. Although I use tools
such as EQ5 to help me plan my color choices and layout, as I actually put
the fabrics together, the look changes.

So far, I have never planned a quilt completely from start to finish. Some
day I may challenge myself to do just that. But for now, I usually follow a
2/3 rule. I make 2/3 of the blocks, put them on the design wall and take a
look. Then I can see if more or less of a particular color is needed for
balance. After the blocks are assembled, then I look for sashings or
borders.

I recently bought the 3-in-1 Color Tool from Joen Wolfrom. It has been very
helpful choosing paint colors, and does actually help find quick color
combinations for fabrics. I was using it just yesterday - I had chosen 2
fabrics for a block I'm working on, and wanted to find a 3rd. I tried
several of the color combinations suggested by the color cards - an
analagous and a split complimentary combo. Well, I didn't like either of
those. I've decided to put different color with the other 2 - not quite a
triadic scheme, not quite any of the schemes suggested....

I guess I just like to know the rules so I know what rules I'm breaking!

Old October 22nd 05, 12:14 AM
Pat in Virginia

Well, when I posted, it was a cold, blue/gray day. Now, at 7:13
PM, it is a dark and dreary charcoal/indigo color.
PAT in VA/USA