Stitch Witchery?

Old November 3rd 05, 12:44 PM
Johanna Gibson

Default Stitch Witchery?

Is "Stitch Witchery" the same as "Wonder Under"? I see that it is
advertised for bonding fabrics together, without sewing. Does that
mean it is equal to the heavy-duty Wonder Under, which is stiff and
inflexible? I want the light-weight stuff that you use to hold stuff
in place, but then use satin stitching to secure the edges.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old November 3rd 05, 01:17 PM
Bobbie Sews Moore

The Stitch Witchery I have used in the past is two sided. You iron it onto
the back of cloth before you cut out the applique, peel off the paper, then
place it where you want it to be, and then iron it down---then satin stitch.
It is very light weight.
HTH Barbara in SC

Old November 3rd 05, 03:28 PM
Tia Mary

Johanna Gibson wrote:
Is "Stitch Witchery" the same as "Wonder Under"? I see that it is
advertised for bonding fabrics together, without sewing. Does that
mean it is equal to the heavy-duty Wonder Under, which is stiff and
inflexible? I want the light-weight stuff that you use to hold stuff
in place, but then use satin stitching to secure the edges.

-- Jo in Scotland

The are both adhesive webs but they are made differently. It's been
several years since I bought Stitch Witchery but at that time it was
just the webbing and did not have any backing. They might made a paper
backed version now -- not sure. Wonder Under does have a paper backing
and is what most people use for doing appliqué. It comes in two
"weights", light weight for sew on use (like doing applique) and heavy
weight for non-sewing applications.
A lot of people never realize that you can use this stuff on
**anything** that is porous and can take the required heat. I have used
both types of fusible web to stick fabric to paper, fabric to wood,
paper to wood, paper to mat board, etc. It's great for all sorts of
craft applications and I buy the stuff in big rolls or 10 yard cuts when
it goes on sale. That's the reason I haven't bought any of it in such a
long time :-). CiaoMeow ^;;^
--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Old November 3rd 05, 06:15 PM
Polly Esther

Stitch Witchery used to only be available in a seriously stiff grade. I
don't know if there's a friendlier one out now. DD used to keep a roll for
quick hemming of jeans and such. I used to use it (only a 1/8" sliver of a
strip, mind you) for holding things firmly in place before stitching. IMHO
there are just better products available. Rather like rat poison. It has
it uses but can be deadly. Polly

Old November 5th 05, 04:45 PM
DrQuilter

I don't know, but I just bought some to finish those darn roman shades...

Johanna Gibson wrote:

Is "Stitch Witchery" the same as "Wonder Under"? I see that it is
advertised for bonding fabrics together, without sewing. Does that
mean it is equal to the heavy-duty Wonder Under, which is stiff and
inflexible? I want the light-weight stuff that you use to hold stuff
in place, but then use satin stitching to secure the edges.

-- Jo in Scotland

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

Sorry knitter Maureen In Vancouver, B.C. Yarn 13 July 14th 05 02:21 PM
Cross stitch and silk ribbon Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 11 June 12th 05 07:22 PM
Two sided cross stitch [email protected] Needlework 12 March 12th 05 09:25 PM
GARTER STITCH FABRIC!! ox Machine Knit 1 January 4th 04 01:38 PM
Protecting My Canvas Miss Vikki Australia / Mystery Girl Needlework 9 December 13th 03 05:13 PM