hardanger learning advice needed

Old November 19th 03, 07:29 PM
Boohoo1971

Default hardanger learning advice needed

For quite some time, I've wanted to learn how to work hardanger and have been
looking at the books in Nordic Needle and Amazon. My mind is in a whirl. I
would love suggestions about books, fabrics and thread. I have the very sharp
scissors...that's a start (I hope). I did find the series of small learning
projects for various stitches, but would much rather have a good book and a
doodle cloth. Also, are there any books of early learner type projects with
lots of clear directions? I hope I can get the hardanger book or books etc.
together and start on it the first of the year. My e-mail address works and I
don't get a lot of the postings, so I would really appreciate it if one of you
kind hardanger stiltchers would e-mail me. Thanks so much, Boo
Old November 19th 03, 07:50 PM
Skyhooks

Two books that I really like for hardanger are "Basics and Beyond" and
"Fundamentals Made Fancy" written by Janice Love. Both books are well
written with excellent diagrams and instructions, and more importantly,
are easy to read HTH.

Sweet Stitching!!!!!!!

Helen (Skyhooks)
hmardis *aht* uiuc "daught" edu

"reply to" address munged -- read line above for correct addy.

TFTD: Good things turn up when both ends of your mouth do the same!

Old November 19th 03, 10:52 PM
SEL

If you want to go with books - I'd ditto the Janice Love recommendation. In
fact I'd recommend that regardless

I learned using Victoria Sampler's Beyond Cross Stitch Series - Level 5. It
includes 10 small kits, each with a progressingly more difficult hardanger
technique. The end results are gorgeous, about 3" square. Each step is just
enough to get you learning without scaring the heck out of you. I'm now
trying to decide what to do with the 10 projects. They are perfect as
ornaments. But I'm thinking of finishing them into two bell pulls, or
something.

http://www.victoriasampler.com/Catal...nd_X/bxs_5.asp

good luck ! It really is a ton of fun once you've learned

Shannon L.

Old November 20th 03, 07:03 AM
Ellice

On 11/19/03 2:50 PM,"Skyhooks" posted:

Two books that I really like for hardanger are "Basics and Beyond" and
"Fundamentals Made Fancy" written by Janice Love. Both books are well
written with excellent diagrams and instructions, and more importantly,
are easy to read HTH.

Definitely chiming in with this recommendation. They're great books for
learning hardanger, and have good projects that you can do.

Also, I agree with Cheryl, take a class if you can find one. This is one
area of needlework in which a class will really help you.

Happy stitchin'
ellice

Old November 20th 03, 03:15 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Boohoo1971 wrote:

For quite some time, I've wanted to learn how to work hardanger and have been
looking at the books in Nordic Needle and Amazon. My mind is in a whirl. I
would love suggestions about books, fabrics and thread. I have the very sharp
scissors...that's a start (I hope). I did find the series of small learning
projects for various stitches, but would much rather have a good book and a
doodle cloth. Also, are there any books of early learner type projects with
lots of clear directions? I hope I can get the hardanger book or books etc.
together and start on it the first of the year. My e-mail address works and I
don't get a lot of the postings, so I would really appreciate it if one of you
kind hardanger stiltchers would e-mail me. Thanks so much, Boo

What kind of work do you do normally? I picked up
Hardanger doing little bits of it as part of larger pieces
that were primarily other forms of needlework (e.g., a
sampler with a Hardanger border). I suppose the downside
is that if you screw it up, you've screwed up a bigger
piece, but it really isn't that hard so I just jumped in
and did it. Maybe I was just crazy ;-) You just have
to count carefully and make sure you don't have any
threads on the back straying into areas that will be
cut. At least to me, it seemed pretty easy to keep
myself out of trouble and it's pretty clear before
you start cutting if you've done things correctly
(at least if you take the time to look over things
well).
Anyway, if you feel like you'd rather get
your feet wet this way, it worked for me.

Best wishes,
Ericka