Back Again!

Old January 16th 05, 07:33 PM
Kathy N-V

Default Back Again!

I've been away almost a week, due to being incredibly ill with all
sorts of infections. (sinus, UTI, and a staph infection on my skin
and in my eyes. ewwww) I'm not 100% better, maybe 50% better, or
more realistically 30% better, but I can't stand being away from the
group for so long - it's incredibly isolating to be too sick to be
online, talk on the phone or read.

So, I'm partially back. My eyes hurt like crazy, but I'll be online
for a little while each day at least. I have boatloads of stories
I've set up in my mind. As soon as I can, I'll start typing them in.
That's one thing about being unable to do much of anything - you can
work out stories all day long.

No beading, either. I can't see the holes in the beads, and light
bothers me, so the OTT-lite is out. The TV is out for the most part,
too. I sit in the room with Bob and Manda, but most programs are
nearly impossible to understand what's going on without the picture.
I get to drive them crazy by asking them to tell me what's going on,
so that's a bonus. ;-)

Happily I've had two surprises this week from RCB people. Yesterday,
my Mom stopped by to pick up Manda for the weekend, and brought up
the mail. There was a package from VJ, with one of the loveliest
bracelets I've ever seen inside. There was also a certificate,
explaining that this was the very first casting she made from the
silver her Dad got in 1968. If this is the first casting, we had
better watch out. VJ is going to be one amazing artist - she
certainly has the talent already, and the skill is right there, too.
Just beautiful. (Veej, did you take/post photos?)

Then today, while Bob was cooking lunch, I heard the phone ring. I
answered to a lovely British voice, asking if I was Kathy. I
answered in the affirmative, and got to hear the sweetest rendition
of "Happy Birthday." It took me a few moments to put it all
together: First of all, Happy Birthday, Kathy H! And secondly,
Shirley - you are a wonderful lady, and I'll just consider the call
an early birthday present. (You got to be first!)

The rest of the week has been a blur of doctor's appointments and
lots of expensive aggravation. For example one morning, we were
heading into Boston and Bob commented that the lights and wipers
appeared to be losing power. I was riding with my eyes closed
(because this illness has made it impossible for me to ride with my
eyes open. I get seriously car sick), so I said we needed to turn
around and switch cars. I could hear the alternator making a whine
that was Not Good. Bob scoffed, and told me I was paranoid.

I kept my eyes closed, and fell asleep before two more minutes had
passed; a side effect of being ill and taking heavy duty medications.
Next thing I know, Bob is cursing wildly and trying to move a stalled
car from the high speed lane to the side of the road during the
height of rush hour on the SouthEast Expressway. Not Fun at all.

He did manage to get the car onto the grass on the side of the road
wihout killing us and called his father. Then he called the garage
to have them send out a tow truck. Bob's dad arrived, and we got
back on the road toward Boston. Bob then called the doctor's office
to tell them that we were running late. (I was very unhappy, because
this doctor is nearly impossible in booking appointments, and I had
waited four months to see him already) Turns out the doctor had car
trouble, and wasn't going to be in that morning. We got to turn
around and head home. (happily, the doc called the next day, and we
got a lot straightened out)

I suggested we stop at the garage and see what was wrong with the
Bob-mobile. What a shock - it was the alternator! You could have
knocked me over with a feather. Bob got mad at me (huh?) and
insisted that I was going to berate him and say "I told you so!"

No way. I wasn't going to say anything of the sort. I didn't have
to - Bob was feeling guilty enough as it was. After a few moments of
silence, Bob realized he was behaving as if he was in kindergarten,
and apologized, as well he should have.

Oh yes, the alternator in a Mazda Tribute is ungodly expensive, and
cost almost $500 to replace. Ouch. But it goes with the rest of our
week, with equally expensive prescription drugs, absolutely no fun
stuff to show for it. Honest to goodness, I've spent less on trips
to Europe and at least had a fun time to talk about.

Talk about broke - Bob went to put gas in the Bug, and I let him know
we had a whole $12 in the checking account. That's not enough to
fill the tank, much less pay the co-pay for the doctor's appointment
or the prescriptions I knew were coming. (very unusual for us,
especially since I started handling the money) Happily, he got paid
the next day, and even though most of the money was gone instantly,
we still have enough for him to get gas until my check arrives at the
end of the month. (And the things we need until then, too. Just no
extras)

Bob is off at yet another trade show for two weeks, but at least it's
close enough that he can come home each night. If I get the okay from
my doc to go out in public (can't right now, because staph is
contagious), I'd like to go to the trade show with Bob on Thursday.
It would be nice to see something outside the house, and my mother
can push me around on the wheelchair.

Manda is fine, although she's freaking out at the idea of mid year
exams next week. She's studying her brains out, and is petrified at
the thought of any test being worth 1/3 of your grade. I wish I
could help her, but the stuff she's studying is _hard!_ I haven't
studied this stuff in 25 years ore more, if I learned it at all - a
lot of the science stuff is completely new to me, and the calculus -
well, I studied the calculus just long enough to pass the test, and
never used it again. It's definitely gone from my brain.

I'm going to sign off now. This lame note has taken me almost an
hour and a half to write, because I have to keep stopping to rest my
eyes. I erased all of this weeks messages, and hope that there
wasn't anything too great happening, like free lampwork beads for
anyone who wrote back within five minutes and had the initials of
KNV. If so, please don't tell me - I'd just bum out severely.

Over and out,

Kathy N-V

Old January 16th 05, 09:02 PM

Dear Kathy
OH my -- we have had a bad week haven't we???
Hoping you feel better by Thursday so you can get out of the house.

I saw the bracelet VJ sent you - -and it was slam dunk - a KLUNK!!!

Manda is fine, although she's freaking out at the idea of mid year
exams next week. She's studying her brains out, and is petrified at
the thought of any test being worth 1/3 of your grade.

Did you ever read the book "Could be Worse" to Manda when she was
young?
My mother read it to her second graders, and my boys....
it's a family quick retort these days "could be worse....."
Please tell Manda that 1/3 of the grade is not as horrifying as she can
imagine...
remind her that in LAW SCHOOL -- your entire grade was.... the FINAL.
That will make her shake in her shoes - and thank her lucky stars that
the final is only 1/3 of her grade! LOL

Here's hugs to you ---
rest up and get better!!!

Cheryl
Http://www.dragonbeads.com

Old January 16th 05, 09:06 PM
Diana Curtis

Hey, I remember you! Im glad youre feeling well enough? to post again. Im
not sure you are but youre getting well enough that the life of luxury
(eatting bon bons and watching the soaps) has lost its allure.
I hope you continue to feel weller and weller!
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
. giganews.com...

Old January 16th 05, 09:33 PM
Kandice Seeber

Welcome back, Kathy - feel better soon. (((((hugs)))))

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
. giganews.com...

Old January 16th 05, 11:19 PM
Shirley Shone

Ah well! I made a real cockup of that.
I wanted to sing happy birthday to Kathy H. I should have had her phone
number somewhere. On the wall alongside of the phone there is Sooz ,
Kandice and what I thought Kathy's number. Only I got the wrong Kathy.

You have a lovely voice Kathy but I think we were both a bit dumbstruck
to say much to each other.

If anyone wants to email me their phone number in hopes that I will ring
them one day please feel free to do so. I will not pass it on to anyone
else.

I must have lost Kathy H's when I got this new computer so if you read
this can you please send it again.

Nice to have those few words with you, by the way when is your birthday?
Shirley

In message news.com,
Kathy N-V writes

Old January 17th 05, 04:21 AM
Cheri2Star

I've been away almost a week, due to being incredibly ill with all
sorts of infections. (sinus, UTI, and a staph infection on my skin
and in my eyes.

well you Have had an ugly week, haven't you? I do think it's funny that sick
as a dog and severely medicated you can still tell a bad alternator.

I hope you feel much better very soon and get to go out on Thurs.

Lotsa hugs,

Cheri
(Bubbee to Emily and Nathan)

It's my life
And it's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive - Bon Jovi

Old January 17th 05, 04:45 AM
Christina Peterson

What, I didn't comment? Zigged when I should have zagged.

I'm so glad you posted. I was about to post and/or e-mail.

Glad you're here, even if you're rough. Take care and hugs.

Tina

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message news:...

. giganews.com...

Old January 17th 05, 04:58 AM
Jalynne

I sure missed you, and wish you didn't still feel so icky. We're all sick with a bad
cold here...I'm better but exhausted...so not reading or posting much, but I'm glad I
read NG today so I could see your post. (((((((Kathy))))))) Keep resting.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

. giganews.com...

I think I'm back! Sjpolyclay Beads 23 October 7th 04 09:14 AM
AD: Finally back melting glass. EBay and JB auctions Susan B. Beads 14 April 14th 04 08:34 PM
I'm back.... KDK Beads 4 September 26th 03 04:39 PM
OT- back from the southwest :D alia Beads 6 September 9th 03 08:03 PM