stash knowledge

Old December 9th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default stash knowledge

Although I've got a lot of stuff, it is nowhere near what long term stitchers
have accumulated. Yesterday, I wanted to experiment with angelina fibers and
couldn't find them. I emptied almost all the drawers and they were still
hiding. Imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw them on the desk in
other corner of the room! I guess the thought about using them wasn't new so I
had pulled them out previously. In a little bit, I'll have to put everything
that's strewn all over the floor away.

Do you know where every thing is? Can you lay your hands on anything you want
quickly or do you have to hunt for things?

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old December 9th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

On Dec 9, 8:24*am, anne wrote:
Although I've got a lot of stuff, it is nowhere near what long term stitchers
have accumulated. Yesterday, I wanted to experiment with angelina fibers and
couldn't find them. I emptied almost all the drawers and they were still
hiding. Imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw them on the desk in
other corner of the room! I guess the thought about using them wasn't new so I
had pulled them out previously. In a little bit, I'll have to put everything
that's strewn all over the floor away.

Do you know where every thing is? Can you lay your hands on anything you want
quickly or do you have to hunt for things?

--
another anne, add ingers to reply

Funny you should mention this - I was just looking for something on
Sunday and couldn't find it. It was *supposed* to be in that big tub
of kits. Hmm, wonder where it wandered off to?

Other than that, most of the time I have a pretty good idea - fabric
is in one drawer, threads in another, miscellaneous supplies (hoops,
scissors, fusible applique stuff) in another, free patterns in
notebooks, canvas rolled in a box. But that dratted tub! I really
need to go through it and organize it. Of course, if I did that, I
wouldn't have the fun of looking at all of the stuff when I want to
find something and remembering a semi-forgotten project. Dilemmas,
dilemmas.

Linda
Old December 9th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"anne" wrote in message
g...
Although I've got a lot of stuff, it is nowhere near what long term
stitchers
have accumulated. Yesterday, I wanted to experiment with angelina fibers
and
couldn't find them. I emptied almost all the drawers and they were still
hiding. Imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw them on the desk
in
other corner of the room! I guess the thought about using them wasn't new
so I
had pulled them out previously. In a little bit, I'll have to put
everything
that's strewn all over the floor away.

Do you know where every thing is? Can you lay your hands on anything you
want
quickly or do you have to hunt for things?

--
another anne, add ingers to reply

I'm very organized and always know exactly where to look for something, she
says with grin. The problem is that there are gremlins living in the
closet and cupboards with the stash (I think they're closely related to the
computer gremlins) and they move stuff when I'm not looking.

Lucille

Old December 9th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Queencityxstitcher

anne wrote:
Although I've got a lot of stuff, it is nowhere near what long term stitchers
have accumulated. Yesterday, I wanted to experiment with angelina fibers and
couldn't find them. I emptied almost all the drawers and they were still
hiding. Imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw them on the desk in
other corner of the room! I guess the thought about using them wasn't new so I
had pulled them out previously. In a little bit, I'll have to put everything
that's strewn all over the floor away.

Do you know where every thing is? Can you lay your hands on anything you want
quickly or do you have to hunt for things?

Since I started using "Annie's keepers" for thread storage I have no
trouble finding any fiber that I need. It also lets me know if it is
kitted or empty. I just pull the empty keys and take them with me to the
store. Fabrics are sorted by count and beads are sorted in trays. I have
still to figure a goo filing system for patterns. Scroll rods and
q-snaps are in a separate bin as is temari making items, and knitting.

Bobbie V.
Old December 9th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nyssa

Queencityxstitcher wrote:

anne wrote:
[...]

Whatever problems you folks have with keeping
things organized and findable, double it for
me.

I have my personal stash and my business stash,
and keep them separated. To make this a bit
easier, I keep my personal stash in boxes in
a closet and a bookcase in the living room and
keep all the business stuff in huge plastic
storage containers in the room I use as my
office.

The only exception to this rule would be items
like scroll rods and extenders, magnetic chart
holders, and other non-consumable stuff that
I use when stitching both business designs
and personal pleasure stuff.

It isn't too difficult to find anything as
long as I know if I'm looking for personal
or business, then it's just a matter of
pawing through a few boxes or bins for the
specific fabric, fiber, or frame.

It's a rough life, eh? lol

Nyssa, who has a cat who wants to sit in my
lap all winter and makes it hard to stitch
anyway
At River's End
http://nyssa.cnc.net

Old December 9th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gerald & Donna McIntosh

"lucille" wrote in message

"anne" wrote in message
g...
[...]

Or in my case, a 12-year old daughter that gets into my beading stash, and
then I have
to hunt down my stuff in her room! What a disaster area! I'm more or less
organized but
will be even more so when one of my girls move out (one turns 16 this Sat. -
where did
the time go?) and I can have her room. LOL. Right now most of my stash is
sharing space
with the washer and dryer in the laundry room..at least I know the husband
won't disturb
it!

Donna In S. Indiana

Old December 9th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

lewmew wrote:
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

Funny you should mention this - I was just looking for something on
Sunday and couldn't find it. It was *supposed* to be in that big tub
of kits. Hmm, wonder where it wandered off to?

Other than that, most of the time I have a pretty good idea - fabric
is in one drawer, threads in another, miscellaneous supplies (hoops,
scissors, fusible applique stuff) in another, free patterns in
notebooks, canvas rolled in a box. But that dratted tub! I really
need to go through it and organize it. Of course, if I did that, I
wouldn't have the fun of looking at all of the stuff when I want to
find something and remembering a semi-forgotten project. Dilemmas,
dilemmas.

Linda

That is the current project. Now I have MY room, I have to go through
the mislabeled drawers, tubs, boxes, bags etc where stuff has been
dumped in the late lamented MIL's room.

I think the best thing is to dump some of it onto the floor...label
several tubs and sort into puddles. Then I can go from there. MAYBE it
will be done by New Year! DH has persuaded me to put my computer in
there, so I also have to buy a computer desk, find space for the joint
printer, my scanner and the copy machine. I found a great corner desk,
but the darn thing was 4 inches too long!

Gill
Old December 9th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Nyssa wrote:
Queencityxstitcher wrote:

anne wrote:
[...]

And where do you put the ham radio, she asks politely? That is why the
printer has to be in MY space; I only use a HT.!

Gillian

Gill
Old December 9th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nyssa

Gillian Murray wrote:

Nyssa wrote:
Queencityxstitcher wrote:

anne wrote:
[...]

LOL! The radio corner is in the living room
on the opposite side of the room as the
personal stash closet. I've only got a general
coverage receiver, a 2m all mode transceiver,
plus a 10m mobile rig in that corner with
appropriate power supplies. Sticking point
is, no antennas are up, so the only one of
'em usable is the receiver with a long wire
for an antenna stretched across the room.
BTW I'm using a modified oak computer table
with an added lower shelf for the power
supplies in my compact radio corner. It was
originally used for an Atari 800. Recycling
R us.

Now if someone wants to see me to make room
for a dandy new HF rig plus put up a nice antenna
for it for me, I'd be happy to give it a go.
I'd really, really like to be able to get
on 75m sideband!

Nyssa, who probably should buy a heating pad
for the kitty so she doesn't need to use my lap
as one all the time
At River's End
http://nyssa.cnc.net

Old December 10th 08, 12:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Anne that is the Story ,,of many people ,,, somehow the most open
obvious place seems to go by unnoticed ....
Hope you have a joyful time knitting it .
mirjam