OT Quilt question for Kathy N-V

Old September 26th 04, 09:42 PM
Dr. Sooz

Default OT Quilt question for Kathy N-V

Kathy: What are your favorite flowers? Please list any and/or all. Thank you.
~~
Sooz
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~~Joseph Chilton
Pearce

Old September 27th 04, 11:16 AM
Su/Cutworks

Kathy wrote:

I love the scent of Lavender, but I've
never seen the flowers when they were fresh, just dried.

I have at least a dozen varieties of lavender growing outside in the
'garden'. The biggest bush is around 3' in diameter, and if the import
restrictions weren't so strong I'd send you the entire cutting off the bush!

I have some 'bee' lavendar too, which is really cute as the top of each
cluster of florets has two little purple 'wings' that stick out the top.

If the weather's nice I'll take a pic or two today. The white lavendar
didn't do as well this year, sadly but the purple stuff is all really going
like mad. It's dead easy to grow in a flowerpot, in fact it likes it as
they want well-drained soil. Do you have a nice sunny place to put a
flowerpot? It's really hardy as mine doesn't mind growing in the Pennine
mountains so it shouldn't mind a nice flowerpot.

-Su

Old September 27th 04, 04:29 PM
Dr. Sooz

You're kidding! OMG....I so miss my lavender. We have no garden here, just a
couple of pots. The last place we lived, Su, I had 13 lavender plants and
harvested tons of it. I had these big ziploc baggies full of the stuff.

Sigh.....it was student housing, and they even gave me a budget to garden
there. I know no one is keeping the garden up, or I'd sneak in and harvest
some of it. But I know it would break my heart to see its condition now.

I'd love to see pictures of your lavender. :-D The white lavender here is my
favorite for smellies! (I snatched a blossom or two from a neighbor's bush,
and have it in my little fanny pack)

Old September 27th 04, 06:58 PM
starlia

I'd love to have some of that bee lavender. I have a purple variety that is
lovely. It grows very fast too. DH is threatening to pull out all my
"weeds" in the front planter. Yeah but death warrant I'm sure.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old September 27th 04, 06:58 PM
starlia

We sleep on buckwheat pillows and I put lavender inside the pillows. Ah,
sweet sleep.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old September 27th 04, 07:22 PM
Su/Cutworks

Starlia wrote:

We sleep on buckwheat pillows and I put lavender inside the pillows. Ah,
sweet sleep.

Dried hops is good too for sleep. Sadly, I still can't smell anything but I
have memories of how they smell and that's almost good enough.

Sooz wrote:

You're kidding! OMG....I so miss my lavender. We have no garden here,

just a
couple of pots.

My biggest lavendar plant lived in a plastic pot for years, until I finally
planted it in its own special place in the garden. They're pretty tough.
Norfolk is the big lavendar producing area of the UK, I saw a show on it
once where the guy who runs one lavendar farm said they use a hedge trimmer
to cut it back because it likes a bit of heavy cutting after the blooms are
removed. I tried it with some shears, really gave it a serious haircut and
the results are amazing.

The last place we lived, Su, I had 13 lavender plants and
harvested tons of it. I had these big ziploc baggies full of the stuff.
Sigh.....it was student housing, and they even gave me a budget to

garden
there. I know no one is keeping the garden up, or I'd sneak in and

harvest
some of it.

I would hate to see something I worked so hard on be let to go to wrack and
ruin. I give lavender away to anyone who walks by as I have so much of it.
I also have some really gorgeous heathers that are just now taking off. One
is called Irish Lemon, the bells are really bright pink-purple and the
foliage ranges from yellow through pine green. I'll get a shot of it too if
weather permits. Sadly it was an Eeyore sort of day and I had a fraught
night with hormones being rude and making me feel as if I were in a sauna
all night. Grrrr. Being 51 is ok until it isn't ok.

(I snatched a blossom or two from a neighbor's
bush,
and have it in my little fanny pack)

*squealing with glee and putting my hands over Shirley's eyes*

Can you grow lavender where you are now?

http://www.gardenguides.com/seedcata...derhidcote.htm is seeds
for Hidcote Blue which is a great plant. Only grows 12" high.
http://www.chamomiletimes.com/herbs/lavender.htm is a really cool site for
growing lavendar.

I'm away for a while tomorrow but as soon as the weather cooperates I'll do
one of those layouts of my garden and the SHED (sorry, Kalera). That will
give those who plan to visit time to plot their escape routes.

-Su

Old September 27th 04, 10:44 PM
Dr. Sooz

They're pretty tough.
Norfolk is the big lavendar producing area of the UK, I saw a show on it
once where the guy who runs one lavendar farm said they use a hedge trimmer
to cut it back because it likes a bit of heavy cutting after the blooms are
removed. I tried it with some shears, really gave it a serious haircut and
the results are amazing.

I always cut my lavender back really hard! It's best for it. You get fabulous
results.

Sadly it was an Eeyore sort of day and I had a fraught
night with hormones being rude and making me feel as if I were in a sauna
all night. Grrrr. Being 51 is ok until it isn't ok.

Oh yucch! I can relate.

Can you grow lavender where you are now?

Oh yes. But there isn't really any room, and I cannot add more pots because of
that. There's lots of room in the shade, but those lavender lovelies don't
like shade.

http://www.gardenguides.com/seedcata...derhidcote.htm is seeds
for Hidcote Blue which is a great plant. Only grows 12" high.

I love 'em all!
~~
Sooz
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~~Joseph Chilton
Pearce

OT Quilt Update- prayer time Diana Curtis Beads 8 August 17th 04 10:02 AM
A question for lampworkers Diana Curtis Beads 42 May 7th 04 07:26 PM
Not really an AD, but a marketing question, need advice Kandice Seeber Beads 26 April 4th 04 10:39 AM
Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM
de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM