Pricing Question

Old September 29th 03, 05:39 PM
Lisa Kisner

Default Pricing Question

I have a question about pricing for a bracelet that my neighbor wants me to
make for her sister. Since I started buying beads and findings, I have been
tracking the cost per item in a notebook just in case I wanted to sell
something. I am mainly making gifts for family and friends but the neighbor
really liked a bracelet I made for my SIL's birthday so I told her I would
make one like it for her.

In this bracelet, I used cats eye beads that my other SIL gave me as a thank
you gift for helping her move from Columbus, OH to Knoxville, TN. She
bought 10 strands at a LBS in Knoxville along with some other beads. Now
for my question.......Since I didn't buy the cats eye I don't know how much
to charge for each bead I use in this bracelet. I hope this makes sense :~)
Have any of you that make items that you sell, used beads that you got as a
gift and if so, how did you know how much to charge for those beads???

Thanks again,

Learning in Ohio and pulling her hair out, lol,
Lisa Kisner

Old September 29th 03, 06:24 PM
Lori Greenberg

Can you look them up in a catalog?

--
Lori Greenberg
http://www.beadnerd.com

ebay auctions:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...origre enberg

"Lisa Kisner" wrote in message
[...]

:~)

Old September 29th 03, 06:31 PM
Lisa Kisner

I thought of trying to see if I could find something online or catalog. I
think I know where she got them, we found this shop together in Knoxville.
Keep trying to get DH to go off on a long weekend to Knoxville, lol.

Lisa Kisner

ink.net...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...id=lorigre en

Old September 29th 03, 09:25 PM
Christina Peterson

Generally when you make something you charge for two or three things --
materials, time, and artistic value.

Generally the buyer is charged for retail price of beads (meaning you double
the price if you're able to get them wholesale), and something for your
time, and if it's unusual or just plain super you charge extra for that.
This gives you a wholesale price, which is half of what a store would sell
it for.

If I'm making something that is a favor but not a gift, I'll charge close to
wholesale. If I put it in a store or gallery I charge wholesale. If I do
my own marketing, I charge retail. eBay usually starts at or a little above
wholesale, with the hope that it will be bid up to reatil.

Tina

Old September 30th 03, 12:09 AM
Lisa Kisner

Thanks Tina, I think I just need to search for like beads so I can figure
out the price for the beads she bought me or call the shop where I think she
bought them and ask them. I looked at Sooz' Beadnotes for my formula for
what to charge the neighbor to do this, her list is so fantastic.

Thanks again for all the help,

Lisa Kisner

Old September 30th 03, 02:09 AM
Christina Peterson

Yes, that's a much better description for pricing. Mine was just a down and
dirty.

When you look on line for bead prices (for a retail value) choose a higher
price. Some on-line prices are closer to wholesale.

Tina

Old September 30th 03, 11:14 AM
Steve & Susan Wright

Another point is that if you at any time get a really good price that is not
likely to be an ongoing price, always price your costs at replacement costs
in the formula that you use. You deserve the extra profit for being an
astute buyer. One thing that we also tend to leave out of the equations
when we figure our base is the amount of time you spend in drudge duty
(shipping, cleaning, paperwork, etc.) and then the extra costs that you
don't see in the piece so much (waste, office suppliers, utilities,
insurance, etc.).

Right now on one piece this is a mute point for you Lisa, but down the road
it is a very necessary part of the equation.
Susan W

new question - pricing Deborah Beads 21 August 24th 03 07:53 AM
de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM
Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Newbie with a question Colette Beads 8 August 5th 03 05:10 PM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM