Mourning Quilts

Old April 27th 14, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Mourning Quilts

I know Ive hit this subject a little late, but I am making a death/mourning quilt. I have several ideas of my own, but would like to look at Victorian ones to compare. I keep pulling up the same 4 examples online (including your recommendation). Is there a book avail?
Thanks, dd
Old April 28th 14, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 11:21:51 -0700, dldennis5 wrote:

I know Ive hit this subject a little late, but I am making a
death/mourning quilt. I have several ideas of my own, but would like to
look at Victorian ones to compare. I keep pulling up the same 4
examples online (including your recommendation). Is there a book avail?
Thanks, dd

OK unless this thread is pulled up from the depths of the vaults I've
missed the first bit.

To the best of my knowledge there are no set patterns for such quilts.
While patterns were sometimes used, crazy quilts or whole cloth seem to
come up with greater frequency during a search. Both commonly
embellished with embroidery giving pertinent details (names, dates, etc),
and sometimes gothic imagery. Crazy quilts would generally include
pieces from clothing or bedding (particularly from the death bed) of the
deceased.

For a particularly american tradition, not victorian though so far as I
know, look up funeral ribbon or flower ribbon quilts. Wherein someone
takes the ribbons that were part of the flower arrangements at the
funeral and makes a quilt of them. Just the ribbons if there are enough,
or "stretched" with bands of patterns associated with coffin quilts such
as Darts of Death.

You might also try looking for "Widow's Quilts", "Grave Quilts", and
"Coffin Quilts".

Victorian death and grieving customs are a large well documented
category, you may find more information in a study of the general topic.
Once you get past the hair wreaths and jewelry, and the watercolor
paintings of droopy willow trees shading doomed couples anyway.

I seem to recall an article that included items made by a Victorian widow
that included a quilt made of her deceased husband's military uniforms,
and then a later quilt that she made of her own mourning clothes just
prior to her remarriage. Of course I cannot dig it up at the moment, the
universe is just not that kind. If I manage to come across it I will try
to find an online source and link it.

NightMist
Old May 1st 14, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:52:28 AM UTC+10, NightMist wrote:
[...]

Thanks Nightmist, that was interesting

Dee in Oz
Old May 1st 14, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 9:21:04 AM UTC+10, wrote:
[...]

By the way this thread started in 1999

Mourning for Australia blackrosequilts Quilting 14 September 5th 06 10:38 PM
Is everyone in mourning or WHAT? Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 3 August 17th 05 04:32 AM
Mourning Samplers Tannia Needlework 1 April 3rd 05 05:29 AM
Mourning Samplers Camden Needlework 1 April 2nd 05 03:30 AM
Mourning quilt CHARLES MURPHY Quilting 9 October 8th 03 01:24 PM