London Calling

Old November 16th 09, 11:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

Default London Calling

Any advice? I get to tag along with my hubby on a trip to London in
January. I've got two days when he is in full-conference mode set
aside for the V & A. What else should we plan? Only have a week.

Thank you!

Donna in Virginia
Old November 17th 09, 08:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley Shone

In message
,
Donna writes
Any advice? I get to tag along with my hubby on a trip to London in
January. I've got two days when he is in full-conference mode set
aside for the V & A. What else should we plan? Only have a week.

Thank you!

Donna in Virginia

If you go down Oxford Street, make sure you have your money inside your
coat and other valuable like credit card and passports.
The January sales will be on and the street busy.

DH and I went down London I was researching family history at the record
office.
Not knowing London our selves, we asked to be put off the bus at the
nearest stop to Oxford Street. As we got off a gentleman getting off the
same time came up to us. He warned of the pickpockets and the need to
keep handbags at the front not slung round the back.
Just be vigilant with your belongings.

We went to sit in Hyde Park to eat a snack at lunch time since it was a
nice day. We were accosted by Romanians trying to get us to give them
our snacks.

I know it is not a very nice picture to paint of our capital city but
forewarned is forearmed.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old November 17th 09, 12:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:47:37 -0800 (PST), Donna
wrote:

Any advice? I get to tag along with my hubby on a trip to London in
January. I've got two days when he is in full-conference mode set
aside for the V & A. What else should we plan? Only have a week.

Thank you!

Donna in Virginia

Try to do the London Eye, well worth while, on a good day you get the
idea of how London is laid out. If you don't like heights, it doesn't
seem to bother people, my aunt was very concerned about that but loved
it.

Lucky you. You will love it. London was one of my very favorite cities to
visit,probably because it was so familiar from books..

Lucille

Old November 17th 09, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kay Lancaster

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:47:37 -0800 (PST), Donna wrote:
Any advice? I get to tag along with my hubby on a trip to London in
January. I've got two days when he is in full-conference mode set
aside for the V & A. What else should we plan? Only have a week.

Could you manage a day trip to Bath? The costume museum there is excellent.
http://www.museumofcostume.co.uk/

And did you know the V&A has a textiles study room?
http://www.vam.ac.uk/resources/print...x.html#textile

Should you happen to decide to stop at the Natural History Museum, pay
attention to the ornamentation on the pillars inside and out... there
are some beautiful designs derived from plants.

Kay

Old November 19th 09, 07:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Edna

"Donna" wrote in message
Any advice? I get to tag along with my hubby on a trip to London in
January. I've got two days when he is in full-conference mode set
aside for the V & A. What else should we plan? Only have a week.

Thank you!

Donna in Virginia

Portobello Road Market on a Saturday morning.

http://www.portobellomarket.org/

Edna

Old November 26th 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Carrie

"Edna" wrote in message

"Donna" wrote in message
Any advice? I get to tag along with my hubby on a trip to London in
January. I've got two days when he is in full-conference mode set
aside for the V & A. What else should we plan? Only have a week.

Thank you!

I second St Paul's Cathedral - I go every time I'm in London and come away
with such a sense of peace. Then cross the Millenium Footbridge to the Tate
Modern....

A short distance away is Hampton Court, home to the Embroiderer's Guild
http://www.embroiderersguild.com/
somewhere I've always wanted to go but haven't made it yet!

Have a great time,
Carrie X

OT Anyone from London? Mickie Swall[_3_] Quilting 9 July 8th 09 03:42 PM
OT LONDON HELP If I can Cher Yarn 11 July 9th 05 11:27 AM
Calling Hanne in London! Pat in Virginia Quilting 0 February 26th 05 12:39 AM
NWS in London Sorceress Needlework 5 September 17th 03 02:32 PM
NWS in London Sorceress Yarn 2 September 16th 03 09:46 PM