Advice please - on topic

Old October 18th 09, 02:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Advice please - on topic

Ok - I've finally had to make the switch to readers and distance to correct
my vision enough to stitch, read and drive.

Love the distance - I can do 80% of my normal daily stuff with them, even
the computer if I up the font size a few points

Reading is a dream and stitching is getting better. But not fast enough for
me...I don't know if it because I hold my head differently to stitch than to
read. Or if I'm still too distracted by the TV not being in focus if I look
up...

So any advice from those of you who use "readers" to stitch?

Cheryl

Old October 18th 09, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley Shone

In message , Cheryl Isaak
writes
Ok - I've finally had to make the switch to readers and distance to correct
my vision enough to stitch, read and drive.

Love the distance - I can do 80% of my normal daily stuff with them, even
the computer if I up the font size a few points

Reading is a dream and stitching is getting better. But not fast enough for
me...I don't know if it because I hold my head differently to stitch than to
read. Or if I'm still too distracted by the TV not being in focus if I look
up...

So any advice from those of you who use "readers" to stitch?

Cheryl

Maybe you would be better with progressive lenses or varilux as we call
them.
They enable you to see close, middle and far distance.
I have been wearing them for nearly 30 years.
Hugs
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old October 18th 09, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/18/09 9:48 AM, in article ,
"Shirley Shone" wrote:

In message , Cheryl Isaak
writes
[...]

Actually, I'm one of the 10% that can't do bifocals - it's a combination of
my astigmatism and my other vision issues made it so that I was had constant
headaches. My doctor and I tried several things and this is the best for me.

I have not tried beading yet - I suspect simple stringing will work no
matter what, it's the detail work of crimping etc I'll need my readers.

Cheryl

Old October 18th 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 10/18/09 9:12 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

Ok - I've finally had to make the switch to readers and distance to correct
my vision enough to stitch, read and drive.

Love the distance - I can do 80% of my normal daily stuff with them, even
the computer if I up the font size a few points

Reading is a dream and stitching is getting better. But not fast enough for
me...I don't know if it because I hold my head differently to stitch than to
read. Or if I'm still too distracted by the TV not being in focus if I look
up...

So any advice from those of you who use "readers" to stitch?

Cheryl

Hmm- for me using the readers took a little practice. And I've made sure
that I can see over the frames of mine - I look thru them to stitch, but if
I'm in the TV vicinity, am able to raise my eyes above to look over. As
you've said, may have to do with your head position, where your stitching is
- are you in hand, or on a frame. For me, once I started using a stand of
some sort - even my little lap stand - in my lap - keeping the piece a
pretty constant distance for focal length - helped. Same reason I like
using magnifier clamped to piece or stand - so it's not moving around and
making me seasick ;^)

Did you not get a pair of bi-focals so that you could do distance thru top
and read thru bottom? I've actually seen some folks put readers on in front
of their normal specs (distance, I guess). Maybe you'll have to do the
bi-focal thing for stitching so that you can watch TV and stitch. My
friends that wear them said it took some adjusting, but now love them.
Personally, since I don't wear glasses for anything else except
stitching/reading I don't have that disturbance when I peer over the top.
Hope it all works out soon. Maybe it's going to books on tape or music for
the other background when you're stitching instead of TV.

Ellice in chilly NoVA

Old October 19th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/18/09 4:15 PM, in article , "ellice"
wrote:

[...]

Bifocals just didn't work - there are some folks that just don't make the
adjustment. A big part of the problem was night driving for me - the
headlights/taillights would starburst with the bottoms (also a problem with
the combined script) and make night driving exhausting.

Well - I'm off to read a bit before bedtime. Driving to and from the rink in
the snow was tiring.

Cheryl

Old October 19th 09, 12:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/18/09 10:52 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 09:12:11 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Ok - I've finally had to make the switch to readers and distance to correct
my vision enough to stitch, read and drive.

Love the distance - I can do 80% of my normal daily stuff with them, even
the computer if I up the font size a few points

Reading is a dream and stitching is getting better. But not fast enough for
me...I don't know if it because I hold my head differently to stitch than to
read. Or if I'm still too distracted by the TV not being in focus if I look
up...

So any advice from those of you who use "readers" to stitch?

Cheryl

I found I couldn't get on with bi-focals that were graduated, it
seemed as though the floor was rising to meet me as I walked ! So I
chose contacts and they did really well for nearly 35 years until I
had the cataracts done, now I only wear readers (from the drug store)
for extremely fine print.

For glasses when the contacts were out, I resorted to what they call
'slab off' bi-focals. The sort that have a small area of visible
different strength. Maybe not so hot to look at, but in fact, the
optometrist told me that the actual focussing area with that technique
is better. In the graduated ones the viewing area is smaller and she
did tell me it is not uncommon for people to have difficulties with
them.

Do you think if you picked up el cheapo drug store specs just for
stitching it might be easier ? Take some stitching with you to check,
working up to the strongest.

After that, wait til you get old enough for cataracts, life is sweet
then - one of the few benefits of age !

There is a watch on my left eye - I have two "floaters" that may or may not
be an issue with in a few more years.

Old October 19th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 10/18/09 10:52 AM, in article
,

wrote:

[...]

Oh dear. Please watch the floaters carefully and don't hesitate to have
someone drive you to an eye doctor immediately. Don't walk and don't drive
and don't bend and don't lift if you have a serious problem, and you will
know if that happens just by what you're seeing.

I've had tears in the retina in both eyes and was very fortunate to have a
very fine ophtalmologist right near where I worked and was able to get
superb laser treatments immediately and save the sight in my eyes. It
happened exactly one year apart in my case.

I know I sound like doom and gloom, but it scared me witless and I still go
to the ophalmologist every six months to check my eyes.

Old October 19th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote
Bifocals just didn't work - there are some folks that just don't make the
adjustment. A big part of the problem was night driving for me - the
headlights/taillights would starburst with the bottoms (also a problem
with
the combined script) and make night driving exhausting.

Well - I'm off to read a bit before bedtime. Driving to and from the rink
in
the snow was tiring.

Aha! THAT'S who took my snow. Thanks Cheryl!! I have several friends who
have trouble with night driving--our eyes differ greatly on how quickly they
recover from headlight glare, especially as we get older (well, add more
years; we will never be old). And snow doesn't help one bit with the glare
either.

Dawne

Old October 19th 09, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 16:15:50 -0400, ellice
wrote:

I've actually seen some folks put readers on in front
of their normal specs (distance, I guess).

If you have astigmatism or your eyes don't match, it's the only way to
go. Of course one *could* get a pair of prescription glasses for each
magnification one required . . .

I've also had good luck with a neck-hung magnifier when I wanted small
magnification a little farther from my eyes.

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- sewing

Old October 19th 09, 09:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Joy Beeson wrote:
I've also had good luck with a neck-hung magnifier when I wanted small
magnification a little farther from my eyes.

One of my hobbies is finescale model railways (railroads). Many fellow
modellers whose vision is not what it was tend to use something like this
http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/head-visor-magnifying-glasses
This enables them to produce something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEiAC_8obfI
which is scaled at 2mm = 1 foot (i.e. the rails are about 9mm apart)
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK