OT wear an apron?

Old January 21st 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

Default OT wear an apron?

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 08:51:18 -0600, Polly Esther wrote
(in article ):

This morning my sister asked me to make an apron for her. I couldn't be
more surprised if she'd taken to wearing a tiara. She says her hardware
store has a gift section that sells aprons made by the local quilt guild and
they are quite expensive. Of course, she doesn't know diddly about the
supplies and time involved in making an apron.
So. Anyone here love aprons? Which style? There are lots of them at
http://www.kwiksew.com/Verity_Search.cfm (you have to type in apron at the
search box but that's as close as I can show you). Polly

I used the Lilly Apron Pattern (I think I might have come across it in
Paducah somewhere--maybe Eleanor Burns?). Everyone who has seen it things
it's really cute. Super quick and easy too.

Maureen

Old January 21st 10, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

Here's a link to one I like (NAYY!). I have always said I need to wear
an apron backwards - I have a tendency to wipe my hands on my backside!
This one covers both sides.

http://www.sewthankful.com/ScallopedApronPattern.html
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Polly Esther wrote:
You are so right, Brian. I wouldn't have any trouble at all making an
apron from what's just sitting around here - it's just that this apron
will be a birthday present for a sister I love dearly and it needs to be
'just right'. Not too hot, not too giddy and something that will make
her smile every time she puts it on. A tall order. Yes. That said,
the suggestion of denim does call me. Denim is such a grand blank
canvas. About anything goes well. Polly

"Brian Christiansen" I just wanted to add that my point was not so
much about using or not using
denim, but rather about using the leftovers from another project, and
not buying material specially for the apron.

Brian Christiansen

Old January 21st 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

This is going to be more information than you wanted but I'm told that some
people absent-mindedly dip their apron ties in the toilet. So. Therefore.
We'll do aprons that fasten with a nice easy to manage big button. And !
I'll remember to make the back nice-looking too in case she needs to wear it
backwards like Louise. What a trip this has been. Thank you all. Polly

Old January 21st 10, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Or you could make the ties long enough to bring around and tie in front.
Shouldn't have any trouble with them dipping in the toilet then I
once had an apron that buttoned in the back instead of tying; I prefer
ties because they are more easily adjustable for size and I'd rather tie
something behind me than button something.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html
-----------

Old January 22nd 10, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I made aprons for christmas a few years back. I modeled them after
the ones used in many commercial kithens, thus they had longer ties.
I also like to bring the ties around to the front to tie them.

I made mine out of plain old canvas duck, hand dyed them and then
painted them with imaginary obnoxious logos in elegant scripts.
Things like
"Mrs. Moffet's Meat Pies
we serve anyone"
"Lector's Custom Meats
the freshest cuts, polite service"
"Gein Leather Goods
forward fashion from the past".

NightMist

Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

Legolas is my house elf
Old January 22nd 10, 01:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I've said it before. NM, I don't know What we're going to do with you.
Furthermore, I saw a t-shirt recently that I loved. It said " I never
finish anythi Polly

"NightMist"

Old January 22nd 10, 07:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

And if she happens to get a frozen shoulder there is no way she can get her
arm around the back either.
TMI but it makes it impossible to do anything up behind you.

Dee in OZ

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I was giving that detail serious thought, Julia. There was a time when I
yanked something loose in my shoulder and could not get my hand around to
button anything in back. Probably not a concern to the young chicks in the
group but definitely a consideration for some of us old biddies. Polly

"Julia in MN"

Old January 22nd 10, 07:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

In message , Sandy
writes
In article
,
Kathyl wrote:

On Jan 21, 1:43*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
I was giving that detail serious thought, Julia. *There was a time when I
yanked something loose in my shoulder and could not get my hand around to
button anything in back. *Probably not a concern to the young chicks in the
group but definitely a consideration for some of us old biddies. *Polly

"Julia in MN"

Or you could make the ties long enough to bring around and tie in front.
Shouldn't have any trouble with them dipping in the toilet then I once
had an apron that buttoned in the back instead of tying; I prefer ties
because they are more easily adjustable for size and I'd rather tie
something behind me than button something.

I vote for long ties that tie in the front too! You can loop a folded
towel through the strings and have a handy hand wiper. Like the
chefs do.

And mischievous youngsters can't come up behind you and untie the apron!

This takes me back 70 years.
my dad used to sneak behind my mother when she was sitting at the table.
He used to pull her apron strings undone, so stealthily that she never
felt it. then he would retie them around the staves in the chair back.
Of course when she tried to get up she was fastened to the chair.
It gave we children many a laugh.
Hugs
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

www.allcrafts.org.co.uk

Old January 22nd 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Polly, aprons are a "hot" item right now. G There are a couple (or
more) designers that specialize in apron patterns. Check out Paisley
Pincushion or Vanilla House (either/both may have "Designs" added to
the name, can't remember at the moment.)
Cindy Taylor Oates also has a couple of books/booklets that are
aprons, Retro Aprons is one. (Be careful, she also has the same styles
in a book for kid sizes.G) I have made several aprons, both from
patterns, from the CTO book and free style-off the top of my head
type.
Loved to have the half aprons when I worked at the fabric store, great
to protect skirt fronts from wear when stretching over the cutting
counter, to carry my personal cutting shears, and other tools I had to
have while working. G

There are lots of styles and types of apron patterns available, from
very simple to complex. With varying amounts of coverage and ways to
fasten them. Have fun deciding.

Pati, in Phx

Old January 22nd 10, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jan 20, 9:51*am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
This morning my sister asked me to make an apron for her. *I couldn't be
more surprised if she'd taken to wearing a tiara. *She says her hardware
store has a gift section that sells aprons made by the local quilt guild and
they are quite expensive. *Of course, she doesn't know diddly about the
supplies and time involved in making an apron.
* * So. *Anyone here love aprons? *Which style? *There are lots of them athttp://www.kwiksew.com/Verity_Search.cfm*(you have to type in apron at the
search box but that's as close as I can show you). * Polly

OK. I couldn't stop myself from posting a couple of pictures of two of
the many aprons I have made for my wife. The first one is a June
Cleaver look alike apron that you have to climb into and fasten at the
back. It is Butterick B4087 from their Retro collection. The only
thing I did to alter the pattern is I added the strap across the upper
back to cure a habit of slipping off of the shoulders that the pattern
seemed to want to do. Cure worked, and it is just the thing to wear
when you are doing your homemaking duties in high heels and a single
strand of Pearls. The other one shown is an apron I did for her for a
gag fashion show she was involved in. It is a self drafted "cobblers
apron", that is so easy to do, that a pattern is not necessary. The
fabric is, well you might say, interesting. I even matched the pattern
for the pocket across the front. She loves to get these sort of goofy
type of aprons, and there are a whole bunch of other ones, that are
used on a daily basis. these two, are left for special occasions,
where you can throw caution to the winds.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor33/SewingFantasies#

John

that apron pattern I mentioned [email protected] Quilting 7 September 6th 07 04:52 PM
Looking for Grandma's Apron Story Audrey Quilting 1 November 25th 05 08:29 PM
apron pattern Kate Dicey Sewing 4 March 28th 05 11:42 PM
Bucilla Falling Leaf apron [email protected] Marketplace 0 January 26th 05 02:40 PM
Quilted apron Sindir Quilting 0 October 28th 03 08:29 PM