Quilting Cruises

Old August 16th 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

Default Quilting Cruises

well then I guess I might go on a flight if the plane didn't leave the
ground!
Taria, the poor traveler
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I think I would like to go on a cruise so long as they stayed at the dock.
Polly

"Sandy" wrote in message
In article ,
Anne Rogers wrote:

Sounds fun, have you ever been on a cruise (non-quilting) before? The
only reason I ask is because I have a friend who went on a quilting
cruise from Seattle to Alaska and despite having never had seasickness
on boat trips before, she had terrible trouble. I've not heard of anyone
else having such trouble, so she may well have been very unlucky that
the size of ship and weather and whatnot was just what set her off, but
it is worth bearing in mind.

Cheers
Anne

I get seasick every time I'm on the ocean, no matter what size the
boat/ship. On the first morning of our first cruise, our cabin steward
(a real sweetheart!) saw that I looked rather "green" and told me to go
straight to the desk area and ask for some Bonine. From then on, I've
always taken a pill every morning, and I'm fine.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net

Old August 16th 09, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

I get seasick every time I'm on the ocean, no matter what size the
boat/ship. On the first morning of our first cruise, our cabin steward
(a real sweetheart!) saw that I looked rather "green" and told me to go
straight to the desk area and ask for some Bonine. From then on, I've
always taken a pill every morning, and I'm fine.

She found something to take that worked, but she said it made her drowsy
and even though she made it to the classes etc felt like she didn't
get much out of them.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 16th 09, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

LOL Thanks Taria. I needed that. Once upon a time we went with friends
to what's called the Blessing of the Fleet; attended by boat or ship. I
promised the Dear Lord Himself that if He would get us safely out of that,
that He wouldn't have to do it again.
Mercy! at the drunk drivers at sea. Really. It is quite a celebration
and festival - but, thank you, I'll view from the shore. Polly

"Taria" wrote well then I guess I might go on a flight if the plane didn't
leave the
ground!
Taria, the poor traveler
"Polly Esther" wroteI think I would like to go on a cruise so long as
they stayed at the dock.
Polly

Old August 16th 09, 09:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Anne Rogers wrote:
Sounds fun, have you ever been on a cruise (non-quilting) before? The
only reason I ask is because I have a friend who went on a quilting
cruise from Seattle to Alaska and despite having never had seasickness
on boat trips before, she had terrible trouble. I've not heard of anyone
else having such trouble, so she may well have been very unlucky that
the size of ship and weather and whatnot was just what set her off, but
it is worth bearing in mind.

I've never been on a cruise, but have lost count of the number of hours
I have spent on the 12 hour Hull to Zeebrugge / Rotterdam ferry
crossings. I've only felt slightly ill on a couple of those and that
was when thes were rough.

Lizzy
Old August 16th 09, 01:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

In message , Lizzy Taylor
writes
Anne Rogers wrote:
Sounds fun, have you ever been on a cruise (non-quilting) before? The
only reason I ask is because I have a friend who went on a quilting
cruise from Seattle to Alaska and despite having never had seasickness
on boat trips before, she had terrible trouble. I've not heard of
anyone else having such trouble, so she may well have been very
unlucky that the size of ship and weather and whatnot was just what
set her off, but it is worth bearing in mind.

I've never been on a cruise, but have lost count of the number of hours
I have spent on the 12 hour Hull to Zeebrugge / Rotterdam ferry
crossings. I've only felt slightly ill on a couple of those and that
was when thes were rough.

Lizzy

Where did you sail from.
My eldest son is Chief Electronics Officer on Stena from Harwich to
Rotterdam.
My youngest son is also Chief Electronics Officer on Stena from
Immingham to Rotterdam. His is mainly cargo though.
Shirley
PS for John I put some of my DH's wood turning projects up on my web
site.
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old August 16th 09, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Anne Rogers wrote:

I get seasick every time I'm on the ocean, no matter what size the
boat/ship. On the first morning of our first cruise, our cabin steward
(a real sweetheart!) saw that I looked rather "green" and told me to go
straight to the desk area and ask for some Bonine. From then on, I've
always taken a pill every morning, and I'm fine.

She found something to take that worked, but she said it made her drowsy
and even though she made it to the classes etc felt like she didn't
get much out of them.

Cheers
Anne

Bonine doesn't make people drowsy the way some of the other stuff does;
that's why I like it a lot.

Old August 16th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Shirley Shone wrote:
In message , Lizzy Taylor
writes
Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

We use the out of Hull routings almost exclusively. It takes 90 mins to
get to Hull from Rochdale and you arrive the next mroning after a full
night's rest. Much better for us than more driving and less sleep.

Lizzy
Old August 16th 09, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

In message , Lizzy Taylor
writes
Shirley Shone wrote:
In message , Lizzy Taylor
writes
Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

We have done the Hull thing twice. Takes us about 70 minutes to get
there.
Immingham is the other side of the Humber. We used to go there often
when eldest son was on a ship there. We even spent Christmas onboard
one year when eldest was on duty and could not get home.
We could see the PO ferries across the river.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old August 16th 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 15, 9:25*am, Lizzy Taylor wrote:
I must admit I like the idea of a quilting holiday, on a boat, seeing
new places & making new friends. *One thing that had put me off was that
on top of the cruise cost would be the cost of flying to the US to catch
the cruise ship. *However I found this one:

http://www.quiltcruises.com/EU10/index.php

Has anybody been on this type of trip? *Was it enjoyable? Was it worth
it? Did you learn lots? *Would you do it again?

Lizzy

I have taken one cruise. From S.F. up to Alaska and back. Lois and i
both went. It was a gift from my father. Or rather my father had 2
tickets for himself and my mother. She passed away and he didn't feel
like going on the cruise without her. He gave me the tickets. I found
the cruise itself, quite boring. There were plenty of opportunities to
do things, but they mainly involved things I don't do. Gamble, play
cards, eat way too much food, and drink heavily. I have owned sail
boats in the past and love the ocean, but believe me, there is more to
do on a small sailboat than there ever is on a large cruise ship. The
thought of the quilting cruise would be fine if you are somebody that
takes quilting classes or courses, but the cost of the cruise should
be factored into the equation. Do you like to take cruises? If so,
then the combination should be just right for you. For me, I don't
take classes, (I am a self teacher, and prefer that). I will stick to
doing my quilting at home, and sailing a small sailboat wherever and
whenever I can.
My idea of a great cruise, would be sailing and paddling a Kayak down
the Ohio river into the Mississippi, around the coast of Florida, up
the East Coast, via the inter-coastal waterway. Up the Hudson River,
through the Erie Canal, into the Great Lakes. Over to Chicago, and
then via local waterways, over to and down the Mississippi and back to
the Ohio and home. Now that is a cruise! There is a society (The
Great Loop Society), that has that route mapped out and many people
have done it, from large power boats to small cockle shells. An
adventure, to be sure, but a doable one. in whole or in part. I hope
to do it before I die, or at least while I am still able. Life should
be an adventure, because the alternative is unacceptable.

John
Old August 16th 09, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laura in Chesapeake, VA

Lizzy,

I would love to go on a quilting cruise, haven't found one that suites
me, however the timing on this one is really appealing. If I could
find inexpensive tickets round trip to London I think I might just
think about this one. The days at sea would be filled with quilting
classes. We would meet new people, but the price of a single bothers
me. The information says that they would find a roomate for you if
necessary - that is probably the only way I would go. I love
Edinburgh, I want to go to Jeffrey's and get another kilt, I lost
weight and now my custome quilt will wrap around me twice!