Buying Yarn Online

Old January 24th 04, 08:39 PM
Kathryn

Default Buying Yarn Online

I want to buy some yarn online but I was wondering how I'm supposed to know
how soft the yarn is going to be. I have various skeins that say "100%
acrylic" but feel totally different...Which description can give me a clue
as to how soft the yarn is going to be?

Thanks!

Kathryn

Old January 25th 04, 04:54 PM
Yarn Forward

I general, better quality (ie more expensive) acrylics are softer than lower
cost (Cheap) ones because they go through more manufacturing processes. Merino
wool is softer than wool. Mohair mixtures are soft. Cashmere is buttery soft,
as is angora.

Roger.

--
Yarn Forward
Your On Line Yarn Store

Old January 27th 04, 03:13 AM
spampot

I go into a local yarn store, touch and feel, take notes, then ask the
LYS owner to order anything I want that they don't have in stock. I
want this LYS to succeed, so I only go on line when they can't find what
I need.

Old January 27th 04, 03:36 AM
Kathryn

I asked Micheals to order a specific yarn for me (they sell the brand, but
not the color) because I'd love to support them AND I'd love to not pay the
$8 shipping and handling! When I asked the salesgirl if they could special
order a color for me she looked at me like I had just escaped from a mental
asylum! Having worked in customer service for over five years I couldn't
believe the reaction I got! She just said, "we don't do special orders."
Hmmm...

Old January 27th 04, 07:23 PM
JJMolvik

news

"Kathryn" wrote in message

I want to buy some yarn online but I was wondering how I'm supposed to

know

how soft the yarn is going to be. I have various skeins that say

"100%
acrylic" but feel totally different...Which description can give me a

clue
as to how soft the yarn is going to be?

Thanks!

Kathryn

I don't think the "Michael's" (each store) even gets to order their own
yarn. They get what is sent to them by "Corporate." Or at least that's
what I believe happens. Same thing with Joann's.

JM2C

JJMolvik

Old January 27th 04, 09:30 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Kathryn and JJ.

You are correct, they can't order any yarn, they have to take what "corporate"
sends them. I've asked at AC Moore and the gal in charge of yarn says she has
no say as to what they carry and she hates it.

Hugs,

nora
Old January 27th 04, 09:32 PM
Kathryn

Well, that's good to know...I guess I'll have to shell out shipping and
handling and buy the yarn I want online!

Thanks for all of your replies!

Kathryn

Old January 27th 04, 11:20 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

One more reason why I'm so glad I still have a local yarn shop!

| On 27 Jan 2004 20:30:25 GMT, (NoraBalcer) wrote:

Hi Kathryn and JJ.

You are correct, they can't order any yarn, they have to take what "corporate"
sends them. I've asked at AC Moore and the gal in charge of yarn says she has
no say as to what they carry and she hates it.

Hugs,

nora

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org

Buying curtain fabric online in the UK Katie Sewing 4 December 13th 04 03:11 PM
Buying needles online bibe Yarn 7 January 17th 04 12:09 AM
My yarn addiction Elsa Yarn 24 December 17th 03 05:30 AM
Online Yarn Sale -- Suggestions? Allaya Diep Yarn 3 August 6th 03 01:05 AM
buying Emeralds online Andrei Vesselovski Jewelry 0 July 31st 03 09:13 AM