OT Holiday Baking

Old December 12th 03, 03:57 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi,

Gee, I don't do any baking, just buy the sugar free pies at the market. I used
to make apple pies years ago. Now that there is only the two of us we have
given up eating sweets.

Hugs,

Nora
Old December 12th 03, 04:19 PM
SGC

That's a healthier attitude At Thanksgiving we had apple pies, made by a
friend w/ little sugar, and fat free sugar free ice cream -- it was great!
SGC

Old December 12th 03, 04:28 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Susan,

Yes, I've made Polish cookies using Equal and my MIL couldn't tell the
difference. LOL

Hugs,

Nora
Old December 12th 03, 09:24 PM
seaspray

I thought everyone knew that the aren't any calories in Christmas goodies
until after the holidays are over!

Sea

Old December 12th 03, 09:32 PM
Anna MCM

seaspray wrote:
What does everyone bake for the holidays? Is there a dish that you are=

famous for or always make every year? For me, I make Italian Cookies=

=2E I
do not know if they are from Italy, but that is the name of the cookie.=

They are soft rounds that are iced and decorated. It just wouldn't be=

Christmas without them. How about you?
=20
=20

I usually buy a panettone or a pandoro (traditional Italian Christmas=20
cakes, quite difficult to make at home).
This year I made some Tuscan cantuccini as a present and they were not=20
so bad. They are not traditional for Christmas, but they are good anyway =
LOL
Since I=B4ll be at my NZ friends=B4 place for Christmas, I am looking=20
forward a lovely Pavlova :-)

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old December 13th 03, 08:12 AM
Cher

Cher's Special Trifle
UK recipe.
4 - 5 Servings.

This is a Trifle I did by accident, then elaborated on it to come up with a
delicious cooling treat for any special dessert or to use at Christmas.
Enjoy.
The Frozen Mixed Summer Fruits:-
You can buy these here at Iceland but I have several frozen fruits I
gathered
during the summer months. If you are going to make up your own please
include
some of the following:-

Black Currants, Red Currants Raspberries Black Berries Goose Berries....and
anything else you like to weigh up to lb together.

** = Optional

The Trifle Base
1 Packet of Trifle Sponges, or use any left over sponge cakes- **
1 lb of frozen summer fruits - you don't have to defrost them.
2 Banana's.
2 fl oz/55ml Sherry....you can use orange juice if preferred.

The Custard Sauce
10 fl oz/275 ml Double Cream
3 Egg Yolks
2oz/50g of Castor Sugar
1 level teaspoon cornflour.

The Decorative top
10 fl oz/275 ml Double cream
2 oz/50g flaked Almonds lighted toasted.

1 pretty glass dish. Medium sized.

Slice up or break the **sponge up into pieces and spread a little raspberry
jam on
them and lay them on the bottom of your chosen dish.. Next put in the mixed
summer fruits and spread them evenly over the sponges. Now pour over the
Sherry
or the Orange Juice. Now give everything a really good stir to mix them all
up!

The Custard:
In a small saucepan, heat up the cream until it is hot, blend the Egg yolks
with
the sugar, and cornflour.. When the cream is hot, pour it into the egg
mixture
stirring all the time, and then return it to the saucepan, and keep on
stirring
it, over a low heat, until the custard is thick. Now remove it and allow it
cool slightly. Whilst this is cooling, slice the banana's and stir them
into
the other fruit and sponge mixture. Now pour in the custard, and stir it
into
the fruit mixture, it will go a pinkish colour because of the fruits. The
extra
sugar in the custard will sweeten the fruit a little. Now put this aside
for
one hour in the refrigerator to chill.

The Topping
Just whip up the cream, until it is thick, spread this onto the top of the
fruit
custard mix. Make a decorative pattern with a fork, and then spread on the
almonds.. You could also put on some halved Glace' Cherries if you so wish.
Return the trifle to the refrigerator for a further 2 - 3 hours.

Cher

---

Old December 13th 03, 12:18 PM
G.Kelly

Nora I admire your strength is not eating sweets but it seems to me that we
eat just as many as when the girls were home - and beside I have to give
some to my neighbours and friends and when I go see the girls in January I
have to take a box for each of them so it all adds up to even more than
before. Sometimes i do feel like going on strike !! but then I figure it
is really the only thing we have left for Christmas and so I guess i will
continue. God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old December 13th 03, 12:23 PM
G.Kelly

SGC - I really admire you and Nora but I always remember a saying of my
mother's " you may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb" meaning that if
you are going to indulge then go for the biggest and best ! I do think I
would rather stick with fruit than cut out the sugar etc !!! I am sure i
will think differently after Christmas but for now i will continue to enjoy
all those sugary, chocolatey, fatty things that are calorie free until the
end of January. God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old December 13th 03, 12:28 PM
G.Kelly

Anna Maria, you will enjoy the pavlovas in NZ - they are good at making them
and will tell you they invented them but of course "WE" know differently ,
"WE" invented them !! God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Anna MCM" wrote in message

seaspray wrote:
What does everyone bake for the holidays? Is there a dish that you are
famous for or always make every year? For me, I make Italian Cookies.

do not know if they are from Italy, but that is the name of the cookie.
They are soft rounds that are iced and decorated. It just wouldn't be
Christmas without them. How about you?

I usually buy a panettone or a pandoro (traditional Italian Christmas
cakes, quite difficult to make at home).
This year I made some Tuscan cantuccini as a present and they were not
so bad. They are not traditional for Christmas, but they are good anyway LOL
Since I´ll be at my NZ friends´ place for Christmas, I am looking
forward a lovely Pavlova :-)

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old December 13th 03, 12:34 PM
G.Kelly

Cher that sounds really good - but not for us unfortunately as we do not
have the berries - we can get raspberries in Tasmania and can pick
blackberries in season ( about March) but none of the others. I remember
I was in Stockholm and we went to a restaurant and their desert was on the
menu as " Frozen Siberian Berries with hot caramel sauce" They served a
large dish of frozen berries and a bowl of the hot sauce on a little flame
to keep it hot. One served oneself some berries and them poured the sauce
over - it was fabulous. Ophelia would know about this I expect. God
Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly