The latest thing around here...

Old December 22nd 04, 06:05 AM
Denise Jackson Walker

Default The latest thing around here...

Hi, I'm a relative newbie here from the southeastern part of the US and
have enjoyed reading so many posts from everyone who've got the most
interesting things going on with their creative endeavors! You're all
so creative! It's inspiring, really and I hope just a bit of that rubs
off here. Here's something I'd like to add to the mix at the holiday
season and perhaps it'll give some an idea of what to make for their own
Christmas lists next year since it's a bit late in the month to try it
for this year.

Lately the latest craze in style has been purses made from place mats.
They're folded over, sewn shut up the sides and the tops have ribbon
straps sewn about an inch from the top edge on both sides. Is that
?'latest thing" reaching everywhere else as well? Just curious. One
sister is sending me a purse she has now to take apart, see how it's
constructed, sew it back together, then write down how it was made, and
send the instructions to another sister. The second sister has a tote
bag filled with all manner of place mats for making into purses! She's
going to become a one-woman industry it appears, but they re are simple,
cost little to put together and adorable! Anyone else heard of these?
Old December 22nd 04, 09:59 AM
Erin Winslow

"Denise Jackson Walker" skrev i meddelandet
Hi, I'm a relative newbie here from the southeastern part of the US

Hej Denise!

I'm from South Carolina (Columbia and Greenville) and then lived in
Charlotte, N.C. for 12 years. Then I picked-up and moved to Sweden!!! :-)

Lately the latest craze in style has been purses made from place mats. . .

Anyone else heard of these?

Nope, we donīt do that in these here parts. :-) I get a LOT of good ideas
by combining Swedish traditional type sewing and crafts projects with modern
American trends like Fabric Bowls.

Take care,

Erin

Old December 22nd 04, 03:32 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

I'm curious how many of us remember when the latest thing was purses made
from placemats that were folded in thirds? No straps, just a snap to close
it.

Old December 22nd 04, 05:12 PM
Barbara Raper

Hi Erin, I'm from Simpsonville, SC, 14 miles from Greenville. I'm lucky
enough to be able to live in Florida during the cold months. Nice to meet
ya!
Barbara in SC & FL

Old December 23rd 04, 07:44 PM
CySew

I saw something unique this weekend while attending a family Christmas party
in New Orleans, actually Greta/Harvey on the West Bank for those who are
familiar with N O. It was a handbag sewn out of the Kool-Aid juicy boxes.
Decide how big you want the bag, sew enough boxes together and punch holes
in the top for handles made from ribbons. My 12 Y O niece brought hers to
show and said she sold about 10 last week at school for $50(no mistake-$50)
each to friends for Christmas gifts. It was orange flavored boxes with a
transparent orange glitter ribbon, very pretty. She has orders for others
to be done during school break. Great creativity, whoever got the idea-no
expense except the thread for sewing and the ribbon. I had not seen them
but my DGD in Memphis say they are "the thing" to have there. I asked her
if she'd made any and she said, "No", but might try one during the winter
break as they call it at school now.
Emily

Old December 23rd 04, 08:54 PM
Karen Maslowski

Wow, a 12-yo making $500! Now that's one smart little cookie!

Karen Maslowski in snowy Ohio

Old December 24th 04, 07:15 AM
Kate Dicey

Karen Maslowski wrote:

Wow, a 12-yo making $500! Now that's one smart little cookie!

Karen Maslowski in snowy Ohio

Indeedy! More power to her business elbow!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old December 25th 04, 08:39 AM

Erin Winslow wrote:

I'm from South Carolina (Columbia and Greenville)

My, what a small world! My daughter is heading from here in northern
California to Greenville (to attend Bob Jones University) on January 10,
and I spent a few days in Columbia as a child because of a
transportation breakdown while going from northeastern Pennsylvania,
where my dad and I both grew up, to Savannah, Georgia, where my mom's
family was and is still headquartered around.
Old December 25th 04, 08:41 AM

Barbara Raper wrote:

Hi Erin, I'm from Simpsonville, SC, 14 miles from Greenville. I'm lucky
enough to be able to live in Florida during the cold months. Nice to meet
ya!

Cold months? How cold does it get, exactly, around there? We were told
that it rarely went below freezing and that there was rarely any snow,
just occasionally a light dusting. Is that accurate? I hate to be
sending my daughter off unprepared for viciously cold weather. But then
again, I suppose Pennsylvania is a lot further north than South Carolina.
Old December 25th 04, 03:32 PM
Barbara Raper

Don't believe everything you hear! Be sure to pack her plenty of warm
clothes and a heavy coat. There might be 2 snows, when schools and stores
close for a day or 2. But yes, mostly ice storms, 2 or 3 a year, when
schools and stores close and power goes out. At home in SC I have flannel
sheets for my bed, DH wears insulated underwear for his outside work. It's
cold from Oct to April.
e-mail me privately for more info.
Barbara in SC & FL