How to tell authentic vs fake native/inuit carvings?

Old February 25th 04, 10:11 PM
Di Monbak

In article ,
says...

I have developed an appreciation for both native and Inuit carvings since I
am a beginner, I can't tell the difference between authentic pieces and fake
manufactured ones. Can anyone offer some suggestions on how to detect the
differences before I go on purchase sprees? I know that expensive galleries
will definitely have the real thing but I need to tell the differences in
gift shops and flea markets.

There is a law on the books that makes it
a crime to sell "Indian art" (native American)
as "authentic." But I know of no enforcement
mechanism. In fact, I've heard that the
Chinese named a town RESERVATION so that they
could legally label the art as RESERVATION MADE!
I suppose people in India have the same right
to sell "Inuit" replications as "Indian Made."

Your only protection is the reputation of the
sales outlet, and you're not going to find
that kind of provenance in a flea market, or
in most gift shops. I just read a story somewhere
about someone who bought a "genuine turqouise"
jewelery item, only to have it crack and fall
apart when left exposed to the hot sun - it
was solid "plastic!"

Old February 26th 04, 04:21 PM
Thur

I have just been viewing the works of Clifford Possum Tjapaltjarri
(Australian Aboriginal) and the website had reduced the size of
the images to a postage stamp because they said there had been
so much fakery of his work since his death (2002) and they did not
want to give fakers any help.
There is no way out of it. Clever copiers are everywhere and nothing
is sacred. The general "collectables" market usually advises solid
provenance for each item.
Thur

news

Old February 26th 04, 08:06 PM
arachedeux

"Pepmax" wrote in message
news
I have developed an appreciation for both native and Inuit carvings since

am a beginner, I can't tell the difference between authentic pieces and

fake
manufactured ones. Can anyone offer some suggestions on how to detect the
differences before I go on purchase sprees? I know that expensive

galleries
will definitely have the real thing but I need to tell the differences in
gift shops and flea markets.

I'd find the leading academics, museums,etc on it, and see if you can't do a
little research in their archives. Of course in tiny England this is quite
easy to do, might be more work in one of those modern big countries.
cheers,

Old February 27th 04, 12:53 AM
Andrew Werby

Old February 27th 04, 02:18 AM
Chris

It's been an interesting discussion so far - just wanted to add that a good
deal of "authentic" Inuit carvings are, in a sense, fake - though they are
carved by Inuit, their production has been turned into a cottage industry
for some northern towns.

If I were you I would stick to the reputable galleries to start, and build
up some research experience, and perhaps some travel time in the North. You
are not likely to find the top quality work in gift shoppes and/or flea
markets.; to get you started, poke around this site:
http://www.houston-north-gallery.ns.ca/
They are one of the best known dealers for Inuit work in the world.

OTOH, you may find work that you do enjoy & can buy inexpensively; work like
that doesn't need a pedigree.

Good luck;

Chris

news

Basswood carving bubba Carving 1 October 6th 03 04:35 PM
Need good source for carving gloves Bill Houdek Carving 3 September 4th 03 04:21 PM
carving Joe Kennedy Carving 2 August 5th 03 06:33 PM