OT Bankcard Fraud

Old August 11th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Default OT Bankcard Fraud

Someone tried to access my debit card in Garland, Texas today.....to the
tune of $500.00. Bank of America not only notified me online (which I did
not catch since I worked this morning and entertained a neighbor at lunch)
but they called me and confirmed that I had not been in Texas this morning.
I am amazed that not only did someone catch this activity on a Sunday, but
they actually called me on the phone! It took a little while before I
believed that it was really BOA calling, I had to verify a few things before
I let them have any information.

I do believe that banks are catching up to the perpetrators of identity
theft and fraud!

If your bank allows you to set alarms when your purchases reach a certain
limit, do so! My bank has called me twice now. Once was a legitimate
purchase, but the withdrawals this morning were not.

Kudos to BOA for consumer protection. NAYY, just a surprised and pleased
account and card holder.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old August 11th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

WOW Thanks for passing along this information!
Barbara in SC

Old August 11th 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

A couple of weeks ago I got a call from Wells Fargo our charge card. I
was asked for no personal information--they were calling to confirm
purchases. I'd charged the fee for the seminars in Novi, MI, and about 20
minutes later charged some embroidery designs from a company in Australia.
They called about 15 minutes after I'd made the Australian purchase to make
sure it was actually me that made them. I had no idea they checked accounts
that frequently. I was impressed!!
Gen

Old August 11th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

My Bank of America card was put on a fraud alert several years ago
because of "unusual purchases". They tried to call me, but I was on
the QE2 in the Mediterranean and thus out of touch, so they just shut
it down. Actually, I had indeed made the purchases -- a scarab
pendant and a gold chain in Cairo -- but had no idea of the shut down
until I was in Kusadasi a few days later arranging to have two very
large rugs shipped to me. However, the rug merchants weren't
surprised or the least upset, placed the call to Bank of America, and
handed me the phone. After a series of questions to verify that it
was really me and that there had indeed been two purchases in Egypt --
they asked me what I bought and the approximate prices -- they re-
opened the account and the charge for the rugs went through with no
problem. I was initially embarassed -- my credit had NEVER been
declined before! -- but grateful in the long run. Actually, the card
holder is only legally responsible for the first $50 of fraudulent
purchases, and the credit company has to swallow the rest, so it is in
the company's interest to shut down cards quickly. Beyond that,
though, is the issue of possible identity theft, and that concerns us
all!
Old August 11th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

My son and I have both had phone calls about our credit cards. It's a good
feeling to know there is someone really checking that sort of thing. In one
case I didn't have to call back since I knew what the call was about. A
purchase at a kitchen store was rung in as $25,000, which I didn't see until
I was signing the slip. It was refunded immediately. But there was a call
on my answering machine by the time I got home. Nice!
DS's credit card was one that had been compromised by someone hacking into a
grocery chain's computer system. He didn't even know it, but the card
company was calling him to say they were sending him a new card and that the
old one was void. The problem is these purchases usually go through for the
perpetrators, but not charged directly to the cardholders. The perps get
what they want and the rest of us pay collectively with higher fees. I HATE
thiefs!!!!!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 11th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

If a person could remember in the midst of all the other stuff when getting
ready to travel....it's a good idea to contact your company before you leave
and let them know where you might be making charges.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old August 11th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Bank of America phoned me for verification when I made a credit card charge
to pay 'the German news server' individual.net--- because it was an
out-of-the-country purchase. And they specifically asked me if the charge
was for online gaming! That was amusing as 99.9% of my purchases are rather
modest and made at my local Wal-Mart! (I use a different card for online
fabric shopping- that card gets a good work-out every so often.) I was very
pleased to know that they watch out for me like that- the charge was only
about $14.00- so they watch out for their customers even with small amounts.
I like that.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old August 11th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Idahoqltr[_2_]

This happened to me recently too. There were charges to Netfliks and
other online accounts. I told them which ones were not mine and they
did not show up on my statement. I have a Chase Card. I wondered if
my purchases through the online shop hop were where the # got picked
up. Probably will never know. It is very nice they keep such a good
eye on things.

Old August 11th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Not nearly as glamorous but I had pretty much the same things happen
when purchasing several large items one day 5 years or so ago.
Very unusual for me. Big fancy tv with fancy sound set up at Circuit
City and then over to Lowe's for a big fridge. After a talk on the
phone they were convinced I was in fact me. That probably
was a B of A card. I have since quit dealing with them. Don't miss
them at all.
TAria

Bernina fraud on eBay sewfine Sewing 19 August 10th 07 03:09 AM
...THIS GUY is a FRAUD and is on Drugs 2 Sue Walker Beads 0 May 21st 06 04:19 PM
OT but important:Another fraud alert John A. Quilting 1 December 6th 03 12:23 AM
OT Earthlink fraud warning Polly Esther Quilting 2 October 24th 03 02:45 AM