What's It Called?

Old July 6th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon

Default What's It Called?

What do you call the stitch or method that you can get on a lot of
sewing machines these days - the one that regulates your stitches so
that they're even when you're doing free-motion quilting? I'm making
a list of stuff I want to make sure my next machine has - my trusty
old Kenmore is sounding kinda funny these days so I want to be
prepared so that I get what I want next time.

Sharon (N.B.)

Old July 6th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jul 6, 8:40 am, Sharon wrote:
What do you call the stitch or method that you can get on a lot of
sewing machines these days - the one that regulates your stitches so
that they're even when you're doing free-motion quilting? I'm making
a list of stuff I want to make sure my next machine has - my trusty
old Kenmore is sounding kinda funny these days so I want to be
prepared so that I get what I want next time.

Sharon (N.B.)

Various mfgrs have their own propriatery names but the generic name is
"stitch regulator" or some variation of that. Bernina has one like
that on some of their medium and higher end electronic models and I
imagine other mfgrs have some variation of the same thing. There are
even some after market attachment models which work in conjunction
with the quilting frames such as Grace and allow you to use any
machine or virtually any machine. I have not personally tried any of
these gismos, but I am sure ther are pleanty of people on this forum
who will give you testimonials on their particular choices.

good luck,

John

Old July 6th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
witchystitcher

I have the Bernina 440 with the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator). It
works best when I am trying to actually follow a pattern. If I am just
stipplling, I do ok without it. The visibility is somewhat limited
because of the size of it. Also, it is not perfect - there is still a
lot of room for human error. I know that I tend to go too fast. There
were also some issues with some colors or types of fabric since it has
to read the weave of the fabric. It seems that the newest update took
care of some of that. I still have had some problems with skipping
stitches when using metalic thread. Also, remember you are paying
about $1,000 for this option. It's nice, but not as good as I thought
or hoped it would be.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old July 6th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Sharon, as far as I know Bernina is the only domestic/home/general
purpose machine the has a stitch regulator option on any of their
machines. sigh. And you do pay for it.
Husqvarna and Pfaff have the "Fabric Mover" set up which does have a
sort of stitch regulator, but is a pain to use.

Pati,in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old July 6th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon

On Jul 6, 9:53 am, John wrote:
On Jul 6, 8:40 am, Sharon wrote:

[...]

Thanks John - I thought I was using the right word when I said
regulator, but just wasn't positive so came to this wonderful group to
get some input.

Sharon (N.B.)

Old July 6th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon

On Jul 6, 2:35 pm, WitchyStitcher wrote:
[...]

Sharon (N.B.)- Hide quoted text -

Oh wow - great information Linda - I don't do enough machine quilting
to warrant an extra $1000 - I do quite a bit of meandering or
stippling and actually do better as I go along as far as even stitches
are concerned. Think I'll forget that particular toy. :-))

Sharon (N.B.)

Old July 6th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon

Sharon wrote:
What do you call the stitch or method that you can get on a lot of
sewing machines these days - the one that regulates your stitches so
that they're even when you're doing free-motion quilting? I'm making
a list of stuff I want to make sure my next machine has - my trusty
old Kenmore is sounding kinda funny these days so I want to be
prepared so that I get what I want next time.

Sharon (N.B.)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Pati - I don't like pain. :-)) I'm sure glad I asked.

Sharon (N.B.)

Old July 6th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Sharon wrote:
What do you call the stitch or method that you can get on a lot of
sewing machines these days - the one that regulates your stitches so
that they're even when you're doing free-motion quilting? I'm making
a list of stuff I want to make sure my next machine has - my trusty
old Kenmore is sounding kinda funny these days so I want to be
prepared so that I get what I want next time.

Sharon (N.B.)

Here is a link to a site that is promoting something called an
"Accustitcher". They say it will work wiith any number of machines.
You be the judge if it fills your bill. I have never seen one in
action so, who knows.

http://www.accustitcher.com/information.htm

John

Old July 6th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That looks neat John. Anyone here ever used one?
The page says they are not taking any orders while they
restructure to increase distribution. Price looks
pretty good if it works.

Taria

Old July 7th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jul 6, 6:40 pm, Taria wrote:
That looks neat John. Anyone here ever used one?
The page says they are not taking any orders while they
restructure to increase distribution. Price looks
pretty good if it works.

Taria

I don't know anything about it myself. I just turned it up googling
Stitch Regulator. It did seem to be interesting though.

John

need help locating.... don't know what it's called!!! claudia Quilting 23 May 20th 07 10:19 PM
What's it called??? Bill Glass 7 March 10th 07 07:01 AM
what are these called? Cindi Beads 3 May 6th 06 05:09 PM
what are these called? Cindi Beads 0 April 21st 06 12:45 AM
I am looking for someone called Janise Pirjo Ilvesvuori Yarn 0 May 30th 05 07:20 PM