attn Katherine Knitting Sheath

Old July 17th 06, 08:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

Default attn Katherine Knitting Sheath

http://search.ebay.com/knitting-shea...sopZ3QQxpufuZx

I am not pushing ebay in this group but thy have knitting sheaths for sail.

Maybe Aaron will find interest in this

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old July 17th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Marilyn

Is everone in this group an enabler? ; )
Luckily I will be going on vacation in two days and will not be home to bid
on anything from ebay. Of course I will be going to one or two yarn shops on
the trip. : )
Marilyn

Old July 17th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:24:00 -0400, Marilyn spun a fine yarn

Is everone in this group an enabler? ; )
Luckily I will be going on vacation in two days and will not be home to bid
on anything from ebay. Of course I will be going to one or two yarn shops on
the trip. : )
Marilyn

Coming out of lurkdom, to respond, as I simply could not resist,
Marilyn!
An EMPHATIC *yes*, we are enablers! (not necessarily evil, mind you,
grin!)
Here's MY latest "wanna-get" ... a CSM!

Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0628-5, 07/14/2006
Tested: 7/17/2006 10:08:23 AM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old July 17th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Interesting!

However, the knitting sheath *must* work with its needles. These appear to
be sold as decorative items. If they were sold as *real* knitting tools
there would either be needles included; or, a detailed description of what
needles worked with the particular knitting sheath. Sets of steel DPN of
just the right size are not as easy to come by as they were 150 years ago.
Think about what needles you are going to use with your sheath before you
buy. Remember, that I started by making my needles, then I developed my
knitting sheaths to fit the needles. Your needles are the core of the
system. The needles must be right for the kind of knitting that you want to
do, and then the sheath must fit the needles!

I also note that they are quite smooth and BIG. I find that big is clumsy,
uncomfortable, and inconvenient to use. I find that with (decorative??)
texturing, and the friction inherent in the end-grain of the unvarnished
wood, I can get enough stability from a 7 inch long knitting sheath to
support 5 x 16" US # 1 needles with the weight of a gansey on them. In
fact, if I am wearing jeans with belt loops, then I can notch the knitting
sheath and get that stability from a sheath that is less than 6 " long.
That short sheath length is real handy for bringing the working zone of long
needles down into a comfortable place. My gansey is getting heavy, so I
generally wear a heavy leather belt that I tuck the sheath into. The little
1.5 mm needles do not develop much torque and a light elastic waist band or
apron strings work just fine.

One real advantage of the knitting pouch stuffed with horse hair or a bundle
of feathers bound together, is that they will accept a range of needles.

Aaron

Old July 18th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article t,
wrote:
snip eBay item

Interesting!

However, the knitting sheath *must* work with its needles. These appear to
be sold as decorative items. If they were sold as *real* knitting tools
there would either be needles included; or, a detailed description of what
needles worked with the particular knitting sheath.

Dream on, Aaron. People who sell knitting tools on eBay often don't know
anything about knitting. I've bought quite a few steel dpns on eBay, and
as I recall, the size on the package only matched the needles inside it once.
Often they weren't complete sets, though some were.

You may be right that the sheaths are intended to be decorative; many old
wooden items were made as fancywork gifts, never really intended for use.
I would imagine that knitting sheaths fall into the category of betrothal
gift, like the traditional wooden spoons of Wales, the sailor's whittled
wooden chains, or the fancy carved distaffs found in central Europe.

=Tamar
Old July 18th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

You are right about many of the folks selling knitting stuff on eBay not
knowing anything about knitting. Therefore, if you have a good stash, make
sure there are specific provisions for your stash in your will. Otherwise,
somebody may sell your precious stash for cents on the dollar.

Those knitting sheaths *may* have been quite functional at one time.
However, without the right needles (a full set of the right diameter,
length, and material) they loose their functionality. And, that sheath may
have been set aside because the "needle hole" was worn, and no longer held
the needle snugly, but not discarded because that sheath had sentimental
value.

My rule is: Start with the needles that are right for the project, and then
get (or make) a knitting sheath that fits those needles.

I ended up making my steel DPN. (As you point out, the supply of good steel
needles is a bit spotty these days.) And, then I made knitting sheaths to
fit.

Aaron

Old July 20th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

I just want to say that I really appreciate your sharing your experiments
with us. There's no substitute for actual experience.

=Tamar
Old July 20th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

Richard Eney wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Yes Aaron,

Thanks again for for stopping me from making a mistake.

Dennis

Old July 20th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

wrote:
[...]

Agree completely Aaron.

Dennis