Builder or handyman tools as quilting tools

Old April 11th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Builder or handyman tools as quilting tools

I helped Mom baste a quilt Sunday and got a real surprise. I had
given her the Rubbermaid Tough Stuff tools and tool bag so she would
have tools when she needed them without having to hunt through her
DH's tools. Well this tool bag has been converted to quilting use.
She carries everything needed to baste a quilt on her old fashioned 4
board quilt frame from the 6 inch nails that join the 4 frame corners
to the pliers that help remove the push pins to remove the quilt after
basting. Everything fits into the bag except the frame boards and a
handy yardstick. This got me to thinking about how many
builder/handyman tools we quilters might be using.

Here is the list of real tools we used just to baste the quilt:

Nylon Mason's cord to hang the quilt frame from the ceiling eye bolts
Retractable Tape Measure to measure the quilt top to decide on frame
sizing
4 six inch nails to hold the frame together at the corners, and
connect the frame to the hanging cord loops
4 clamps to hold the frame square at the corners
2 Hammers to tap the push pins into the wooden frame to hold the
backing and batting on the frame
Large flat head screw driver to quickly pry up any push pins that bent
or broke during the tapping process
Yardstick to help smooth the center of the quilt top over the other
layers
Pliers to remove the push pins after basting the quilt
Tool Bag to hold all the above plus the push pins and a few other
things like basting gun and tacks

To add to this list I have been thinking about getting a Carpenter's
Square to help mark large whole cloth blocks for applique backgrounds
and large print novelty fabrics quickly and easily for cutting.

Are there any other real tools useful for quilting?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old April 11th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Good thread!

Since I often baste on the floor, I use knee
pads from the home and building store.

I have a storage unit of many tiny drawers
intended for nuts and bolts. I use it for
buttons and such.

PAT in VA/USA

Old April 11th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've been thinking about buying my sewing room one of those long (4 ft or
more) metal rulers from the builder or handyman tool store. I hesitate
though because I don't know if the humidity here might cause it to blacken
and smudge my quilting. That could turn this sweet little old lady into a
violent basket case in just a blink. Polly

See my quilts at http://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

Old April 11th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Well, Polly, look at it like this: if any black that occurs is
smudge-able, then it is wipe-clean-able!
Not a problem gg
..
In message . net, Polly
Esther writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 11th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:49:09 GMT, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I've been thinking about buying my sewing room one of those long (4 ft or
more) metal rulers from the builder or handyman tool store. I hesitate
though because I don't know if the humidity here might cause it to blacken
and smudge my quilting. That could turn this sweet little old lady into a
violent basket case in just a blink. Polly

If you can find one made of stainless steel or aluminum it should be
fine.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old April 11th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:33:49 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Good thread!

Since I often baste on the floor, I use knee
pads from the home and building store.

I have a storage unit of many tiny drawers
intended for nuts and bolts. I use it for
buttons and such.

PAT in VA/USA

I never would have thought of knee pads for quilting. The nut & bolt
storage unit would be good for all the sewing machine feet as well as
bobbin and thread spool storage too.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old April 11th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm telling you guys get one of those folding banquet tables
for basting. You'll never regret it. Get the bed risers
for it and your back will be forever appreciative.
TAria

Old April 11th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Are there any other real tools useful for quilting?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

I like the foam "kneelers" that they sell at garden centres at this time
of year. I think you are supposed to kneel on them in the garden... I find
they are good for kneeling on when you are basting or squaring up a quilt on
the floor. And they only cost about a pound!

-- Jo in Scotland

Old April 12th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Jo in Scotland wrote:

Are there any other real tools useful for quilting?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

I like the foam "kneelers" that they sell at garden centres at this time
of year. I think you are supposed to kneel on them in the garden... I find
they are good for kneeling on when you are basting or squaring up a quilt on
the floor. And they only cost about a pound!

-- Jo in Scotland

I have one of those: it lives in the drawer with the iron and ironing
pad that I keep in the sewing room...

As for tools that you wouldn't normally find in a traditional sewing kit
- well I have a few! Not all are for quilting.

Tinsnips: for cutting boning and heavy duty zips
Side bent cutters: for snipping the teeth of heavy duty zips for
shortening...
Hammer: great for banging studs into jeans, grommets into things, and
flattening thick seams and corners!
Needle nosed pliers: great for pulling recalcitrant threads out of
sewing and sewing machines!
Metal spring-loaded tape measures: perfect for measuring windows for
curtains!
Spirit level: well, I'm sure when I make a wall hanging (eventually!)
I'll need it! meanwhile, DH has a beady eye on it...
Paint brush: MUCH better for cleaning sewing machines than those silly
brushes they give you with the machine...

I'm sure there are more, if I could only think of them!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 12th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I use little bitty tackle boxes for my sewing machine feet and bobbins.
I'll swear the people who made the little amber colored box measured my
Viking feet and made the sections in the box just especially for them. It's
a two sided box and I can get ALL my Viking feet in it without them being
all jumbled up.

I have two sets of the little drawers to keep all kinds of odds and ends in.
Also, have a set of plastic drawers on wheels to store bigger odds and ends.
I have had a carpenters square in my sewing room for many years - DH
frequently borrows it!
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org