Stringing Material

Old September 12th 03, 05:04 PM
Rachel T.

Default Stringing Material

I'm on this "let's try different stringing materials" kick lately. I've seen
waxed linen cord and I'm thinking about trying it. Anybody ever used it? It
seems to be a good diameter for certain things, and I just can't seem to
find a smaller diameter cord (like bug tail or even mouse tail) anywhere. (I
don't do any online ordering)

I'm just curious what it's like, and if it's worth getting some. I'm sure
I'd find a use for it with something. Now I'm off to try to come up with a
necklace for my 17 yr. old cousin's birthday. My mom has asked me to make
her something and I'm at a loss. I have a little (really little) idea what
she would like, but you know how it goes. It has to be done tomorrow.
--
Rachel T.
HI ho, hi ho, it's off to bead I go...

Old September 12th 03, 05:53 PM
Deirdre S.

I have some. Black and off-white. About 1.5-2mm in diameter. But it
comes in other thicknesses, too.

It is stiffer than mousetail/bugtail by quite a bit, and behaves
somewhat like leather with the shiny part left on in terms of how it
drapes (not like suede, IOW). Works fine for hanging donuts or some
other simple, dramatic pendant that needs no design-support from what
it is hung from.

You can use the kind of crimps designed for leather cord (two flaps
you fold over the end and squeeze together, usually with glue inside
as insurance, usually with an 'eye' for attaching a clasp sticking
beyond the end of the cord), or you can just tie the ends in a knot.

You can make the size adjustable by tying one cord-end around the
other cord about an inch or two from the end, and then doing the same
on the other side. The knots can be 'slid' along the cord to make it
shorter. And the knots butt up against each other to keep it from
coming apart at its maximum length.

Sorry, that doesn't translate into words very well. Wish I could do a
demo -- much simpler than it sounds.

Deirdre

Old September 12th 03, 06:32 PM
Rachel T.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I have some of those "fold over"
crimps. In a couple of sizes, actually. And the slide knots. I've been
thinking of doing those for several ideas I have. Your explanation made
perfect sense to me. LOL.

So, the black cord, it doesn't lose it's color? There's nothing worse than
having your stringing material bleed on the wearer's neck.

Thanks Deirdre!

--
Rachel T.

Old September 12th 03, 06:44 PM
Dr. Sooz

She's a "typical" 17 yr. old.
Platform shoes, flared jeans, etc.

Oh good grief! That's what I wore in high school!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old September 12th 03, 08:08 PM
Deirdre S.

The conclusion of Hermann Hesse's "Siddhartha":

"Everything changes... Everything returns..."

Deirdre :-)

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 19:12:33 GMT, "Rachel T."
wrote:

Oh good grief! That's what I wore in high school!

They're baaaaack! LOL.

Old September 12th 03, 08:13 PM
Rachel T.

A year, huh? Sounds good to me. I think I will try it out. Couldn't hurt.

--
Rachel T.

"Deirdre S." wrote in message
I haven't had that experience so far. The things I strung using this
stuff are about a year old at this point. I'd call that a good enough
real world test for me.

But of course, I don't know if there are variations from manufacturer
to manufacturer, so YMMV...

Deirdre

Old September 12th 03, 08:27 PM
Dr. Sooz

Oh good grief! That's what I wore in high school!

They're baaaaack! LOL.

I knew it, but I had no idea there were teenage-Sooz clones in the high
schools.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old September 12th 03, 11:34 PM
Charlie

I'm 18 and I love glass beads and swarski (sp!) crystals wire wrapped in
interesting ways at the moment. Ok, you all wouldn't find my necklaces
interesting but I do as a beginner!

Charlie.

Old September 13th 03, 06:14 AM
BeckiBead

Waxed linen cord is good for knotted necklaces. I use it for my African Trade
Bead Necklaces, always. I like the thought of them being on a natural
material.

There is one bracelet that is wire-worked (it is obvious, on the first page)
and the first necklace on the second page is on Soft-Flex. Everything else is
on waxed linen cord (necklaces and bracelets). It means I can't anything
smaller than an "e" bead because of the diameter of the cord, but it is worth
it.

http://members.aol.com/beckibead1/africa.html

http://members.aol.com/becbean/afripage.html

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows
Old September 13th 03, 07:59 AM
Pam

my mom recently gave me back a necklace I made for her with waxed linen
about urm...23 years ago. Still looks brand new, and she wore it a lot.

"vj" wrote in message

question, Becki.
how is it for durability? do you have any idea?
as compared, say, to Fireline?