mounting suggestions

Old August 8th 03, 01:23 PM
Meg Street

Default mounting suggestions

I'm planning to make my own stamps out of scraps of rubber left over
from trimming my Stampin Up sets. My idea is to make a
collage/mosaic/crazy quilt type stamp to use for backgrounds. My
question is, what can I mount it on?
I'm looking for something cheap (free) that I might have around the
house. Unfortunately, I don't have wood pieces or a saw - too bad I
can't use Legos!
All ideas appreciated.
Meg

Old August 8th 03, 03:27 PM
Pat Kight

Meg Street wrote:

I'm planning to make my own stamps out of scraps of rubber left over
from trimming my Stampin Up sets. My idea is to make a
collage/mosaic/crazy quilt type stamp to use for backgrounds. My
question is, what can I mount it on?

Just about anything firm and flat, actually, with enough depth for you
to get a grip on the stamp.

Another option - use repositionable glue sticks or some similar
temporary adhesive to adhere the stamps, face up, on a table top or an
old cutting board - any good, flat, even surface that can be cleaned.
Ink the stamps, lay the paper face down and use a rubber brayer to press
the paper onto the stamps. That's how printmakers do it ... It may take
a few tries on scrap paper to get the technique down, but it's not
difficult - it's how I often use large stamps that are too big for me to
comfortably grasp.

I'm looking for something cheap (free) that I might have around the
house. Unfortunately, I don't have wood pieces or a saw - too bad I
can't use Legos!

Hm. You know, you probably *could*. The only problem would be the
unevennes of the little protrusions.

--
Pat Kight

Old August 8th 03, 06:53 PM
Cathy Makela

Hi,
I've never done this but what about using stiff styrofoam . Might have to
watch the type of stamp cleaner you use on it though. I once put turpentine
in a plastic dixie cup and it melted the cup. Or maybe you could tape up a
paperback book you no longer like and mount your stamp to that.

Cathy

"King's Crown" wrote in message
link.net...
I was just at a rubber stamp convention waiting in line to get in and the
gal in front of me had a couple ants crawling on her so I HAD to speak up
and she and I got to talking. Not about ants she brushed those off,

but
about her unmounted stamps. I have heard about it, but don't do it.

Anyhow
what she said she used we're acrylic blocks from a type of store that

sells
that kind of thing. She says she usually gets them free from a bin in the
back of scraps the establishment doesn't want. She digs through and takes
the sizes she wants for free. So, there's an idea for you.

Regards,
Lynne

Old August 8th 03, 10:03 PM
welshwren

I am sure that you could mount small stamps on the sides of Lego pieces
without any problems!

Jenni

Old August 10th 03, 03:58 AM
Karen Walker

Hi! You might also try using CD jewel cases (here, I get them at our local
Dollar Tree in packs of 8 for $1.00). I just take them apart and I have two
new acrylic mounts!

Hope this hint is helpful!
Karen