Hi from a New Member

Old March 14th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Hi from a New Member

Hi! I just joined this group and wanted to introduce myself. I have
been crocheting off and on for about 30 years (my grama taught me when
I was a little girl) and taught myself to knit about 7 years ago when I
was expecting my first son. Now I am the mommy of 2 boys, 6 & 3 and
wife of a wonderful husband. I mostly make things for my boys,
sweaters, hats, mittens, blankets. Sometimes I make sweaters for
myself and last year I went off on a scarf & hat thing with novelty
yarns.

I am currently learning how to make socks. Maybe I should say I am
currently OBSESSED with making socks. I swore I was going to use up my
stash on a sampler afghan and learn new stitches, when the sock bug hit
me. So out to the yarn store I went and bought more yarn. I plan on
making some boot socks for my husband. He got new boots, I got new
yarn. That sounds fair, right?

Old March 14th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi,
Welcome. I am also a crocheter for many years (since my teens). At
times I become obsessed with crocheting and then I must take a break
and cross stitch. It is a great stress buster, so relaxing in front of
the TV. I have never attempted to crochet socks. I have done
slippers, though.

Again, welcome. Can you post some pics of your completed works?

Diane

Old March 14th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Let's see now, "boot socks for husband" is synonymous with "house slippers
for wife prior to felting"?

I knit myself "boot socks," and somehow they end up a bit felted and just
the right size for my wife to wear around the house.

The first advice that I give to all new sock knitters is that short (5.5"),
wooden DPN make learning sock knitting easier. (I almost gave up knitting
after trying those slippery, skinny, pointy, long, cold metal needles that
came in the first "sock making kit" that I bought.) Then, I started making
my own short, warm, friendly wooden needles, and learned to make good socks.
Now, I am back to slipperier, skinnier, pointier, longer, colder metal
needles and love them because they are fast.

Aaron

oups.com...

Old March 14th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hello,
Welcome to the group!! I'm a crocheter but not a knitter. Fortunately
for you there are a LOT of wonderful knitters in this group.

Debby (FL)

oups.com...

Old March 14th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

--
change n e t to c o m to email/reply to me.
"hesira" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Welcome aboard!
You're going to fit in nicely
Noreen

Old March 14th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

hesira wrote:
[...]

Sounds fair to me, Hesira! I am also a sock knitter, and wearer. Welcome to
RCTY, and I hope you will stay and play with us.

Higs,
Katherine

Old March 15th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I just took another look at the dowels in my needle drawer - Some
time ago I made #7 straight needles with little fimo ball ends for
myself. Now maybe I will try making some sock and glove needles.
Where the shorter ones would really have come in handy was when I was
making gloves for my granddaughters. Long double points are NOT handy
when making little fingers for little girls gloves!

new family member Marigold Quilting 7 October 22nd 04 06:11 PM
RCB Member Links page update Valerie Beads 1 May 3rd 04 03:12 AM
I recieved this question from a new member Queen of Squishies Quilting 15 January 24th 04 01:42 PM