quilt block name

Old February 26th 05, 05:48 PM
teleflora

Default quilt block name

Ok, this is kind of embarrassing. I made a baby quilt a couple of years ago
and now I need to make another one. That one that I made was really easy
and fun to do, but I can't remember the name of the block, therefore, I
can't remember the size to cut the strips or the squares or anything.

I have tons of websites saved and lots of books to look through, but if
anyone recognizes the name of this simple pattern, it would help
tremendously.

In case it can't be seen with this link, the quilt is 2-color, nine patch
alternating with solid block.

Thanks for any help.

Cindy

http://www.webshots.com/search?new=1...rds=cindypucci

Old February 26th 05, 06:00 PM
MADQuilter

Hey Cindy,

It's an Irish Chain quilt. One of my many UFOs.

MADQuilter in Houston were it rained on the Rodeo Parade but we still had
fun!

Old February 26th 05, 06:18 PM
KJ

I see you have found the answer...a Single Irish Chain. Can't that be done
as a 9 patch alternating with a plain block? You can decide the size of the
strips from the size of your nine patch.

Old February 26th 05, 07:13 PM
teleflora

That's IT!! Thank you, thank you. I thought it had Chain in the name
somewhere.

Preciate all the help, ya'll.

Cindy in Kansas, where they finally caught the BTK serial killer! Whoo
hoo! He looks like everybody's neighbor. How strange.

Old February 26th 05, 07:15 PM
teleflora

"KJ" wrote in message
I see you have found the answer...a Single Irish Chain. Can't that be done
as a 9 patch alternating with a plain block? You can decide the size of
the
strips from the size of your nine patch.

Yes, that's how I did it. But my brain just can't wrap itself around
problems like "how big do these strips need to be to match the size of this
block?"

Cindy

Old February 26th 05, 09:29 PM
Julia in MN

How big do you want your 9-patch to be? Let's assume 9", because it's
easy to figure and looks like it is about the same as the one in your
picture. Each little square in the 9 patch has to be 3" square, so you
cut your strips 3-1/2 inches wide to allow for the 1/4" seam allowance.
Make 2 sets of dark-light-dark strips and 1 set of light-dark-light
strips. Cut all the strip sets into 3-1/2 inch "slices", and sew the
slices into the 9 patches. Measure your nine-patches; they should
measure 9-1/2 inches, if your seams were exactly 1/4". If not, it's
okay. This is a very forgiving pattern. If there is a lot of variation
in the size of your 9-patches (more than 1/4"), trim them to the same
size. If there is only a little variation, use a measurement between the
biggest and the smallest. Cut the large plain squares the same size as
your 9-patch blocks; for example, if the 9-patches are 9-1/2 inches
square, cut the plain blocks 9-1/2 inches square.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old February 27th 05, 02:13 AM
Dannielle

Ok, you already got your answer, but I had to post and say...

WOW! THAT'S GORGEOUS!

Ok, now that I have that off my chest!

Dannielle

Old February 27th 05, 03:37 PM
teleflora

"Dannielle" wrote in message
Ok, you already got your answer, but I had to post and say...

WOW! THAT'S GORGEOUS!

Ok, now that I have that off my chest!

Dannielle

Why, thank you Dannielle.