I'm Knitting!!!!

Old February 27th 10, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

Default I'm Knitting!!!!

On Feb 26, 1:45*pm, "Linda D." wrote:

On Feb 23, 9:11 am, wrote:

Looks really nice - do you think it could also be done with a lighter,
more delicate yarn, maybe rendering a more lacy effect ?

Yes, you can knit it in any yarn you like, but the finer yarns will
take longer to knit up. *....*Knitting the scarf in a lighter
weight yarn won't look particularly lacy, but it will have a lovely
textured look.

I wonder if using a lighter yarn but staying with bigger needles would
give the lacy effect Sheena is looking for. Might be worth a trial
swatch with some cheap yarn first, to see if it works.

Joan

Old February 27th 10, 05:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jinx Minx

"Karen C - Calif" wrote in message
Dawne Peterson wrote:

"Karen C - Calif" wrote

That book is currently out of print, so if you want it you will have to
try used booksellers.

Dawne

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Di...7242639&sr=8-4

--
Karen C - California

It does seem to be fairly readily available--I found a number of links,
including one through the company I work for. I always remind people
that these are links to private sellers, who might be bookstores or
individuals.
Dawne

Which is why you keep an eye on how many positive transactions they've had
recently. The place I ordered from has a 98% rating.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

I've learned from the eBay world that 98% isn't really all that great,
especially if they are a bigger seller and the rating isn't based on two
transactions. It takes multiple bad transaction ratings to bring someone
down to 98% and I sure don't want that risk I'm going to be their next bad
one. One bad rating, fine, it happens, but multiple is a huge red flag.
And lots of people submit their feedback rating before they've even received
their item, or they're rating the item and not the seller, or they click
positive but if you read the comments see that it wasn't positive at all.
I've bought and sold many, many used and OOP books online and there's a lot
of leeway in what one person considers "like new" or "good used condition".
Buyer beware!

Back to the knitting book front, I'm a fan of "The Knitting Answer Book" byt
Margaret Radcliffe. It's $14.95 regular price and is easily found at B&N,
Michael's and JoAnn's. Not to mention that you can use your 40 or 50% off
coupons on it if you buy it at the latter two. The book is easy to
understand and diagrammed well and I am nothing more than a beginning
knitter. Sometimes those all-inclusive, more formal stitching bibles aren't
written well for self-taught newbies.

On the crochet front, I refer back to the Crochet Answer Book by Edie Eckman
all the dang time. I actually keep the book in my crocheting bag. I've
been crocheting consistently for about 30 years and I still find this book
helpful. It's what led me to the Knitting companion book in the first
place.

Jinx

Old February 28th 10, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Linda D.

On Feb 27, 7:28*am, "Joan E." wrote:
On Feb 26, 1:45*pm, "Linda D." wrote:

On Feb 23, 9:11 am, wrote:
Looks really nice - do you think it could also be done with a lighter,
more delicate yarn, maybe rendering a more lacy effect ?

Yes, you can knit it in any yarn you like, but the finer yarns will
take longer to knit up. *....*Knitting the scarf in a lighter
weight yarn won't look particularly lacy, but it will have a lovely
textured look.

I wonder if using a lighter yarn but staying with bigger needles would
give the lacy effect Sheena is looking for. *Might be worth a trial
swatch with some cheap yarn first, to see if it works.

Joan

You can try anything you wish, but I have tried using sock yarn and
larger needles, it didn't look very good, at least not to me. If one
wants a lacy effect there are much nice patterns, such as this one:

Cast on 17 sts (or any odd number of sts) and repeat the following row
until you run out of yarn or you lose interest:

K3, *yo, k2tog*, repeat to last 2 sts, K2.

Cast off when done.

Try it with worsted weight and 6 mm. needles or just play around. I
knit it up in Louisa Harding "Jasmine" and it turned out gorgeous.
Btw, I found this pattern through Knitting Patterns Central, but can
find the link at the moment. There are a lot patterns on that site,
have fun!

take care, Linda D. in B.C., Canada
Old March 2nd 10, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joy Beeson

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:08:35 -0500, Tia Mary
wrote:

The teacher told us NOT to knit socks! The yarn is really expensive
and then no one sees the work you have done -- LOLOL! Socks and other
similar involved items are at a skill level far beyond anything I want
to do.

Sock yarn isn't all that expensive if you don't insist on hand-painted
extra-special -- and a skein of fine yarn will last you four times as
long as yarn that is twice as thick.

Socks are easy to carry, and a sock-in-progress can be wrapped in a
handkerchief and stashed in an ordinary purse or attache' case.

And you *always* need more socks. Take to knitting afghans, and
pretty soon you run out of sofas.

Nearly all of sock knitting consists of mindlessly knitting round and
round and round and round and . . . very good for knitting when you
have your main attention on something else.

The nearest to a tricky bit in socks is turning the heel.

Some techniques for turning heels require you to know how to knit back
and forth and how to pick up stitches.

"Auto" heels require you to know how to knit short rows. There are
various methods of not leaving a hole where you turn at the end of the
short row, or you can do what machine-knit socks do, and just turn the
work over and work back, and call the rows of holes a design feature.

Elizabeth Zimmermann, in one of her books, suggested just knitting a
straight sock, then snip one stitch where the heel should have been,
pick out two thirds of the stitches, pick up the exposed live
stitches, and knit a toe to cover up the hole.

Ah, yes, to make a toe you'll have to learn how to decrease. (A
library of decreases is nice to have, but knit two together will do
for all occasions.) In coarse yarn, you'll also need to learn how to
graft, but in fine yarn, you just knit down to eight stitches, break
the yarn, run the yarn through the stitches on the needles, pull it
tight to draw the hole closed, and weave in the end.

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- sewing
Old March 3rd 10, 01:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

* *The teacher told us NOT to knit socks! *The yarn is really expensive
and then no one sees the work you have done -- LOLOL! *Socks and other
similar involved items are at a skill level far beyond anything I want
to do. *I'll be happy if I can make up a sweater that is a box with boxy
sleeves -- LOLOL! *OH -- and that's rotflmaowtimewPIMP :-))) *CiaoMeow

Tia Mary i have a wonderful pattern for Mittens if you lile to try
that !!!
mirjam
Old March 7th 10, 01:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

mirjam wrote:
Tia Mary i have a wonderful pattern for Mittens if you lile to try
that !!!
mirjam

I think I will wait a bit before I try something like mittens :-).
I'm still having trouble with this VERY EASY pattern I'm working on that
someone here -- Dawne maybe -- recommended. It's nothing more than as
repeat of knit 2, *knit one in the back, purl one* knit 2 . VBS I'm
hopint that by the time I get about 2 inches of this done up, I'll
FINALLY have gotten the whole thing correct and will finally start
seeing the design-- LOLOL!

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Old March 8th 10, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Linda D.

On Mar 7, 5:09*am, Tia Mary wrote:
mirjam wrote:
Tia Mary i have a wonderful pattern for Mittens if you lile to try
that !!!
mirjam

* * I think I will wait a bit before I try something like mittens :-)..
I'm still having trouble with this VERY EASY pattern I'm working on that
someone here -- Dawne maybe -- recommended. *It's nothing more than as
repeat of knit 2, *knit one in the back, purl one* knit 2 . VBS I'm
hopint that by the time I get about 2 inches of this done up, I'll
FINALLY have gotten the whole thing correct and will finally start
seeing the design-- LOLOL!

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^

...actually it was me who recommended the pattern. It's the pattern
from the Yarn Harlot's site:
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archiv...pun_scarf.html

take care, Linda D. in B.C., Canada
Old March 8th 10, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Linda D. wrote:
...actually it was me who recommended the pattern. It's the pattern
from the Yarn Harlot's site:
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archiv...pun_scarf.html

take care, Linda D. in B.C., Canada

OOO -- yes, yes, yes thanks for the link (bookmarked, of course) and
a very nice pattern it is. *IF* you remember to do it properly that is
-- LOLOL! I just tell people that I am VERY new to knitting and this is
a LEARNING piece :-))). I'm just plodding along and waiting to finally
get it right so that I can actually see the pattern :-))). CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^