Hand Worked Button Hole

Old May 24th 05, 01:51 AM

Default Hand Worked Button Hole

I am trying to learn how to do button holes by hand for the coat and
considering where I am in the basic learning curve, I am not too
unhappy with the progress.

I would consider the best so far good enough for my coat but the
problem remaining is that they are much nicer looking on the top side
than the bottom. I presume they should look the same from both
sides?

My coat is double breasted so the lapel would have the not so pretty
side showing when not buttoned unless I stitched it upside down.

Is there any particular trick to making both sides look the same?

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Old May 24th 05, 02:33 AM

Dear Jack,

Did you overcast the edges of your buttonholes before you stitched
them? If not, it's more difficult to get them to look the same on both
sides. I make hand buttonholes all the time for my dolls, so the
fabric is much easier to work with than your heavy stuff. However, if
you use a single thread of a matching color, rather than your
buttonhole twist, to overcast first, then make the buttonhole with the
twist, you will have reined in all the little fuzzies. Try to insert
the needle in the same line of fibers along the edge. It takes a
little practice, but the overcasting works.

Teri

Old May 24th 05, 05:03 AM

I did not overcast but I machine stitched a rectangle around the slit
that defines the inner edges of the stitching and I presume adds a bit
of strength.

Not sure I understand what you mean by overcast though... isn't that
about what the button hole stitches are?

One of the problems is the coarseness of the weave. The carpet warp is
much thicker than the twist and tries very hard to cotrol the needle.
Sometimes I have to reinsert the needle 3 or 4 times to get it where I
want it.

If anyone is interested, I added a pic of my coat in progress to bottom
of the fiber page.

I just finished the weaving and am now cutting the sleeves and pockets.

Old May 24th 05, 03:50 PM

Dear Jack,

Overcasting is a little different, and needs to be done with a thin
thread. Come up from the back on the machine stitched line; from the
front, go to the back again right next to the first hole from the
needle. The thread will straddle the edge. Go all the way around,
then switch to the buttonhole twist to make the finished buttonhole.

The coat looks great, and the robin is a delight!

Teri

janome 419 s buttonhole? AskeyKO Sewing 1 March 27th 05 01:18 AM
Pre-AD and Quick Story: Who's got the Button? lgreene Polymer Clay 0 August 7th 04 11:17 AM
Button, button Marisa Cappetta Beads 25 February 21st 04 05:51 AM
Christmas Button Covers Secrets of Embroidery Marketplace 0 December 17th 03 10:25 AM
Plackets again duh who Sewing 5 September 4th 03 08:16 PM